For CJS -Deep,Dark, Decadent Chocolate Ice Cream!
  Re: (...)

This is the recipe I found for

Deep. Dark. Decadent Chocolate ice cream

Ingredients

* 2 1/4 cups whole milk (she used 2%)I had whole milk and whipping cream so that's what I used. 1 1/2 c whole milk and the rest in heavy cream.
* 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
* 1 vanilla bean
* 1 1/8 cups sugar
* 1 1/8 cups Dutch process cocoa (I used Ghiardelli)
* 2 large eggs
* 3 large egg yolks (I added the 3rd for consistency)
* 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chopped
* 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
* 3 -4 TBS Irish Cream (optional)I used creme de cocoa
* 1 TBS instant coffee (optional)eliminated this

Instructions

Combine the milk and cream in a large saucepan. Heat on med-low heat. Cut the vanilla bean and scrape seeds. Add the seeds and pod to the cream mixture. Simmer the cream mixture over low heat for 30 minutes.Remove the pod, rinse it and add it to some plain granulated sugar(to make vanilla sugar)... or discard.

Combine the sugar,cocoa,eggs and yolks in a medium bowl. Beat on medium until mixture resembles mayonnaise.

Take out 1 cup of the hot milk/cream mixture. With the mixer on low, add the cup of hot milk/cream to the cocoa mixture. Pour it in a steady stream until incorporated.Stir in the chopped chocolate/chips into the saucepan with the hot milk/cream. Stir in the egg mixture into the hot milk/cream. Cook over low heat,stirring constantly. At this point, the mixture tastes like decandent hot chocolate. I suppose if you don't want to go any further, you can always enjoy a nice hot cup of hot chocolateSmile. Now, seriously, lets get on to the next step. The mixture will thicken and resemble a chocolate pudding(custard). Add the Irish Cream/vanilla and transfer to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, directly on the surface of the pudding. Refrigerate and cool completely.I usually leave it overnight to fully develop the flavors. Pour the cooled/chilled custard into the ice cream maker bowl. Turn on the ice cream maker on let mix until thickened, about 25 minutes. Add the nuts and any other additions you like during the last minute or so of the churning process. The ice cream will have a softer consistency.I like to place it in the freezer in an airtight container for about 2 hours or more before serving.

I'll put it in the ice cream freezer when we get ready for dinner. The preliminary tastes were to crawl across broken glass for!!!!

I used the vodka pie crust recipe and will let you know how it comes out!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: For CJS -Deep,Dark, Decadent Chocolate Ice Cream! by Harborwitch ([br]This is the reci...)
Perfect - anything chocolate that includes cocoa powder is right up my alley!

So, have you had the pie and ice cream together yet?? don't tell me you're going to be conventional and wait for dessert tonight!

Thanks for the recipe - anxious to play with it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: For CJS -Deep,Dark, Decadent Chocolate Ice Cream! by cjs (Perfect - anything c...)
I would like this because it is NOT exclusively cocoa powder, but actually includes real chocolate, as well In fact, I would probably change the ratios in favour of the chocolate.

Many people have been chagrined by my opinion of their favourite brands of "chocolate" ice cream when I taste them and say, "That's not chocolate ice cream, that's COCOA ice cream" then they look on the label and find that their favourite "chocolate" ice cream actually contains no full, true chocolate - only cocoa (which is what is left when the cocoa butter has been removed from chocolate).

It's funny this should come up now, since a few days ago, I searched through the forum for some chocolate brownie recipes, but only one or two used actual chocolate instead of cocoa powder. I've been busy with some other things, but soon, I'll be making the Brownies with Jack Daniel's Frosting that Billy posted, though probably without the JD frosting unless I can find a super tiny bottle of the stuff rather than paying $$ to use just 1 tablespoon and never use the rest of it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: For CJS -Deep,Dark, Decadent Chocolate Ice Cre by labradors (I would like this be...)
Hey, Labs, you can send the leftover Jack to me. Is my drink of choice. Anyway, since you love chocolate thought I'd post this recipe for what I think is the best chocolate cookie recipe ever. These cookies are always a huge hit and the batter freezes great.

Giant Chocolate-Toffee Cookies Bon Appétit | March 2000

Terrific with cappuccino or ice-cold milk.
Yield: Makes about 18
ingredients
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter

1 3/4 cups (packed) brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
5 1.4-ounce chocolate-covered English toffee bars (such as Heath), coarsely chopped
1 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
preparation

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl; whisk to blend. Stir chocolate and butter in top of double boiler set over simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove from over water. Cool mixture to lukewarm.

Using electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs in bowl until thick, about 5 minutes. Beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture, then toffee and nuts. Chill batter until firm, about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment or waxed paper. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto sheets, spacing 2 1/2 inches apart. Bake just until tops are dry and cracked but cookies are still soft to touch, about 15 minutes. Cool on sheets. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)
Shannon
  Re: Re: For CJS -Deep,Dark, Decadent Chocolate Ice Cre by Dismc (Hey, Labs, you can s...)
Oh lord Sharon!!

**gets her car keys and heads to the store**
  Re: Re: For CJS -Deep,Dark, Decadent Chocolate Ice Cre by Dismc (Hey, Labs, you can s...)
Quote:

Hey, Labs, you can send the leftover Jack to me. Is my drink of choice.

Just not much of a whiskey fan, unless it's single malt, Jameson, or Bushmills. Even then, I don't happen to have any of those on hand, anyway. Actually, just thinking about it some more, I wonder how the frosting would be without the chocolate (the brownies already have that), and with Bailey's instead of JD? Better yet, how about Creme de Menthe?

Thanks for the cookie recipe! Those do sound great, and Heath bars are great in that kind of thing, especially Heath-Bar Crunch ice cream!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: For CJS -Deep,Dark, Decadent Chocolate Ice Cre by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Maybe Billy's pi$$iness is rubbing off on me, but Labs, is it really necessary to so put down something that someone has just said they like??

That you dislike cocoa would cover the subject just fine, I think.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: For CJS -Deep,Dark, Decadent Chocolate Ice Cre by cjs (Maybe Billy's pi$$in...)
Jean we've been out running around all day. Had to get the wheels off the boat trailer so we can get new tires for it, then we went to the U Pick and got 15.00 worth of white peaches, lovely plums, and more apricots - all at 79 cents a pound!!! Then took the scenic route home. It's time to put the ice cream in the ice cream maker. Now if I could just remember which freezer the cocoa nibs are in I'd toss some in the ice cream.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!