Roast Duck with Port-Garlic Sauce
  Re: (...)
Oh my this was so tasty!! Will certainly make again. I added some duck parts from the freezer to the reduction and after, picked the meat off and added to my roasted garlic mashed potatoes along with a little Fontina - just decadent!

Roast Duck with Port-Garlic Sauce - Bon Appétit | December 1997
4 servings (not really! )

For sauce
1 5-pound duck, fresh or frozen, thawed (neck, heart and gizzard reserved)
1 medium onion, quartered
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
4 1/2 cups water

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
6 large garlic cloves, sliced
1 cup ruby Port
1 tablespoon all purpose flour

For duck
1/3 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 large garlic cloves, pressed
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme

PreparationMake sauce:
Cut off duck wing tips at joint. Combine neck, heart, gizzard and wing tips in large saucepan. Add onion, carrot and celery to pan. Add 4 1/2 cups water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Strain stock into medium saucepan. Boil stock until reduced to 1 cup, about 15 minutes.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add sliced garlic and sauté until golden, about 2 minutes. Add Port and boil 5 minutes. Add reduced duck stock and boil until reduced to 1 cup, about 8 minutes. Mix remaining 1 tablespoon butter and flour in small bowl. Whisk into sauce and simmer until thickened, about 1 minute. Season sauce with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm before serving.)

Make duck:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Trim excess fat from cavity of duck. Using fork, pierce duck skin in several places. Place duck, breast side up, on rack in large roasting pan. Brush soy sauce over duck. Mix mustard and pressed garlic in small bowl. Brush mustard mixture over duck. Mix salt, pepper and thyme in another small bowl. Sprinkle spice-herb mixture over duck and in cavity. Roast duck 45 minutes. Turn duck and roast, breast side down, 30 minutes. Turn duck and roast, breast side up, until duck is deep golden brown and cooked through, about 15 minutes longer. Transfer duck to platter. Serve with sauce.

--------

And finished off with a very bad for us Caribbean Fudge Pie and a Port that was not anything to write home about - but the fudge pie is always wonderful.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Roast Duck with Port-Garlic Sauce by cjs (Oh my this was so ta...)
This sounds so good! I should just go ahead and do stuff like this for myself and let them eat Pizza Hut.

Thanks for the recipe, copied and printed.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Roast Duck with Port-Garlic Sauce by pjcooks (This sounds so good!...)
I made pizza out of the leftovers - they could have that the next night!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roast Duck with Port-Garlic Sauce by cjs (I made pizza out of ...)
The local grocer still has a couple ducks in the freezer section with the turkeys and I've been eying them lately. (Thanks to the man that ordered them and never came to get any!) William loved it the last time I made duck, and I think we would BOTH love this recipe. I think I'll pick one up later this week and have it over the weekend!

Copied and saved for the near future! Thanks Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Roast Duck with Port-Garlic Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (The local grocer sti...)
and it was so good with the Roasted garlic mashed potatoes with a little Fontina tossed in for good measure. (hope Jeanette stays away from this thread!)
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roast Duck with Port-Garlic Sauce by cjs (and it was so good w...)
Don't have fontina, but I've got some gruyere left over from the review dinner. The only thing I need to buy is the duck. (DUH! Just got back from the store and forgot to check on the duck and the price. I think I remember is was really cheap, since it's an odd "duck" around here...LOL!) Thanks!

One more thing...wouldn't this work in a roasting pan on the grill? ANYTHING to keep from adding heat to my kitchen.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Roast Duck with Port-Garlic Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (Don't have fontina, ...)
Sure it would - drive the neighbors crazy, lady!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roast Duck with Port-Garlic Sauce by cjs (Sure it would - driv...)
If they don't kill me today...hickory smoked ribs all afternoon...LOL!!!!!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Roast Duck with Port-Garlic Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (If they don't kill m...)
I glanced through quickly, Jean and saw the warning! LOL! Not a big fan of duck, so not a temptation!
  Re: Re: Roast Duck with Port-Garlic Sauce by HomeCulinarian (I glanced through qu...)
Whew, that's good, Jeanette!
www.achefsjourney.com