Blue Cheese Dressing - cjs knows best! (Jean)
  Re: (...)
My dad wanted blue cheese dressing for father's day so I pulled out Jean's recipe for Roquefort Dressing. This dressing is soooo good, I can't go back to the bottled stuff anymore.

Well, I made the dressing the night before with my stick blender. (mistake) Normally my dressing comes out great when I use the stick blender. That evening the dressing was kinda soupy, not at all like I had made before. As I read further down the page I read this:

Don't be tempted to use a processor, blender, mixer, or any mechanical device - you'll ruin the dressing.

In the morning it looked like blue cheese water... $12.00 worth of blue cheese down the drain!

I ran to the store in the morning and purchased more blue cheese and made the batch correctly. It was wonderful!

This evening I plan to make BBLTs for dinner: Blue Cheese, Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato. Yum!

Thanks again for a great recipe Jean. Our family loves it.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Blue Cheese Dressing - cjs knows best! (Jean) by luvnit (My dad wanted blue c...)
Laura, I'm with you...using the plate/fork method for this one is a must and packaged crumbled blue cheese won't work either...been there, done that!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Blue Cheese Dressing - cjs knows best! (Jean) by Gourmet_Mom (Laura, I'm with you....)
Oh I'm so glad you liked the dressing - been thinking about my Mom this a.m. too - my sis & I are still feeling a little lost without her. Thank heaven's after years of not being very close, we're now able to talk and cry together about her.

Sorry, REALLY off topic.

Sorry you had to go thru two batches!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Blue Cheese Dressing - cjs knows best! (Jean) by cjs (Oh I'm so glad you l...)
Awww, Jean, I wish I could tell you that feeling goes away. It has been 7 years since my mom passed and I still miss her terribly. Especially during stressful times, I seem to long to hear her comforting voice. Sending you a big hug.

Do I need to search for Jean's blue cheese dressing, or will you share it, Laura?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Blue Cheese Dressing - cjs knows best! (Jean) by chef_Tab (Awww, Jean, I wish I...)
Here you go. The plate/fork method is not explained here, but the point is, you make this up in a plate using a fork to gently combine the ingredients. I hope I explained that right? If not, I'm sure Jean will be along to clarify...LOL!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roquefort Dressing

Recipe By : Jean
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 ounces roquefort cheese -- crumbled
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon onion -- grated
1 clove garlic -- minced
1/2 teaspoon salt -- to taste
1/4 teaspoon peper -- to taste
3 drops tabasco
1/4 tsp. worcestershire

Add buttermilk to cheese a tablespoon at a time. Add remaining ingredients carefully, making sure that you keep lumps of blue cheese.

Description:
"Make your own! You can't buy it this good!"

NOTES : Don't be tempted to use a processor, blender, mixer, or any mechanical device - you'll ruin the dressing - those devices will thin the dressing down to awfulness!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Blue Cheese Dressing - cjs knows best! (Jean) by Gourmet_Mom (Here you go. The pl...)
Oh, this is so self-serving, but here goes - Theresa, this is the page from "a Chef's Journey...Home" that features my Mother's Roquefort dressing - and bleu is just as good (almost )

----
Now comes some family conflict! I grew up on my mom’s Roquefort dressing which I’ve always thought was the best in the world…but a branch of this family thinks Uncle Bob’s is as good. Well, you decide.

Mom’s Roquefort Dressing

3-4 oz. pkg. Roquefort cheese (you can use a good Bleu if Roquefort not available)
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 heaping T. mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. onion, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
3 drop Tabasco
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Salt & Pepper to taste

On a dinner plate with an edge or a very shallow dish, smash the cheese with a fork.

Add the buttermilk, one tablespoon at a time, combining with the fork. Add the rest of the ingredients, mixing after each addition. Combine all together, but keep the beautiful lumps of cheese intact.

CJ’s Tip: Don’t be tempted to use a processor, blender, mixer or any mechanical device; you’ll ruin the beautiful texture of the dressing.

Mom always made her dressing in a large dinner plate that had a little depth to it – so, I have one dinner plate just like that ~ it doesn’t match anything in the house, but I keep it just for this dressing.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Blue Cheese Dressing - cjs knows best! (Jean) by cjs (Oh, this is so self-...)
Jean, that sounds wonderful!! Roy and I must share the "hollowing of the eyes" while eating this together some time!! Having an affinity for "coon a$$" flavors I would substitute Crystal Hot Sauce (Louisiana Pure) made with aged red cayenne peppers-- for the Tabasco (tabasco peppers). I don't think Crystal is available everywhere, it's made in New Orleans. Minor variation though, I love the crumbles--they make the dressing, just like chunky guacomole is best!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Blue Cheese Dressing - cjs knows best! (Jean) by Old Bay (Jean, that sounds wo...)
Thanks Jean and Daphne! Blue cheese is my favorite dressing and I would much rather make my own. Can't wait to try it.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Blue Cheese Dressing - cjs knows best! (Jean) by luvnit (My dad wanted blue c...)
Well Jean, it was my own fault really. I have made the dressing two times before this (the right way). Everybody loves it. I was just being silly and in a hurry and thought if I tried to 'pulse' my stick blender it would be okay. Lesson learned.

Not sure why I did that anyway. It's actually fun to make and really doesn't take that long. Just musta had a brain fart.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Blue Cheese Dressing - cjs knows best! (Jean) by luvnit (Well Jean, it was my...)
Oh my goodness....I was looking for a good bleu cheese dressing the other day and gave up. Then I come and see this. Perfect timing as I need it for this weekend