Firm Polenta Ideas
  Re: (...)
Marye, this polenta recipe is my favorite to use when I want to chill and use that way. You can use any cheese you like or not any if you prefer.
* Exported from MasterCook *

RED POLENTA

Recipe By: Cook, Eat, Cha Cha Cha
5 Tbsps unsalted butter
1 c finely chopped onion
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded, deveined, & finely chopped
1/4 gr. bell pepper, seeded, deveined & finely chopped
6 c water
1 1/2 Tbsps salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 1/2 c Polenta
1/4 c each: fresh cilantro, basil, chives
3 1/2 ozs Manchego Cheese (optional) - added for Wine Festival

In large saucepan, melt 1 T. of the butter & cook onion & bell peppers till onion is translucent, ~1 - 2 min.
Add water, salt, pepper & remaining 4 T. butter.
Bring to boil, then gradually stir in polenta w/a wire whisk.
Reduce heat to med-low & cook polenta for 25-30 min., stirring often.
When Polenta is fluffy and thick, stir in herbs (& cheese).
Pour into a slightly oiled 8" sq. baking dish.
Let cool to room temp., cut into desired shapes. Can be stored, covered, for 2-3 days in frig.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Serving Ideas : wonderful with Spicy Guacamole, Pasilla Aioli and Winter Fruit Compote
----------
POLENTA WITH ASPARAGUS & TALEGGIO

Recipe By: a Chef’s Journey

1/2 recipe basic polenta -- cooked and poured onto a baking sheet (the polenta should be about 1/2" thick) and refrigerated until firm
Balsamic Vinegar
Olive oil
18 spears of Asparagus -- steamed until just al dente
1 onion -- cut in half and sliced thinly
2 T. butter
2 oz. Taleggio cheese -- (about 1/2 cup) shredded

In a skillet over moderately low heat, melt the butter and add the onion slices, slowly cook for 20-30 minutes to caramelize the onions. This step can be done ahead of time.

Cut the polenta into rectangles approximately 4 1/2" X 2 1/2".

Have all your ingredients out and ready to plate just before serving.

Transfer the slices of polenta to a baking sheet sprayed with baking spray; brush a little olive oil over the top of the polenta and top with 3 spears of asparagus, cut to fit the length of the polenta.

Scatter the caramelized onions over and top with the shredded taleggio. Put the baking sheet under the broiler just until the cheese begins to melt.

While the polenta 'packages' are broiling, lay out your serving plates and spoon a little balsamic vinegar over each plate, drizzling it. Remove the polenta from the broiler and with a spatula transfer each 'package' to the center of your plates.

Seves 6.

Description:
"I enjoyed this appetizer at the Zinfandel restaurant in Auburn, California a number of years ago and had to hurry home and play with it - what a wonderful combination of flavors.

------
We love this one – use the basic (above) polenta recipe or this one from C@H.

Polenta Croutons

Bring to a Boil -- Whisk in:
3 cups water
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 t. kosher salt
Stir in:
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
Heat -- Fry Croutons in:
Vegetable oil 1/2-inch deep
Season with:
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
Salt and pepper to taste

Line a baking sheet with 1/2"-high sides (jelly roll pan) with parchment paper; coat with nonstick spray.

Bring water to a boil in a saucepan.

Stir in cornmeal and salt, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until thick, about 5 minutes. Stir in cream and 1/2 cup Parmesan. Spread mixture onto prepared pan and chill until firm, about 2 hours. Cut polenta into cubes the size of playing dice.

Heat oil over medium-high in a nonstick skillet. Fry croutons in batches until golden brown on all sides, turning occasionally. Transfer croutons to a paper towel-lined plate.

Season with remaining Parmesan, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately. Shown here with Simple Caesar Salad.

Description: "(Cuisine at home, April 2005, Issue 50, p. 29)"
NOTES : Makes: 3 Cups

-------
I’ve used this one catering. Cut polenta in triangles and serve warm with this tapenade

SUN-DRIED TOMATO TAPENADE

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey

12 kalamata olives
9 Sun-dried tomato halves
1/4 cup parsley
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon thyme
1 clove garlic

Combine all ingred. in processor.
Using on/off turns, process till finely chopped.
Transfer to a small bowl. Season w/salt & pepper.

Serving Ideas : For a Tasting: 80 people, I made 3 X - perfect amount for the amount of Polenta. Served the tapenade as a room temp. topping for hot polenta. Very well rec'd.

----------
Another family favorite and I do it a lot in the trailer on the road.

BLACK BEAN & GOAT CHEESE POLENTA CASSEROLES

Recipe By: 1/2 Scratch cookbook. Serving Size : 8

1 16-oz. tube ready-cooked Polenta, sliced into 16 1/2" medallions - or make your own, smooth into a sheet pan ~1/2" thk. and cut into rounds.
1 11-oz. pkg cooked carved chix breast (or leftover shredded chicken)
1 10-oz.can or jar Black bean Dip
1 c crumbled goat cheese
1/2 c fresh or prepared salsa

Preheat oven to 425°.
Spray 8 12-oz. ramekins w/spray.

In each ramekin, layer 1 polenta round, 2 T. of the chicken, 2 T. of the black bean dip, 1 T. of the cheese, a second polenta round, & 2 more T. of the cheese.

Set the ramekins on a sheet pan to prevent spills.
Place on center rack, & cook till bubbly & hot, ~15 min.

Garnish w/Salsa & serve
Serving Ideas : original says 1 serving = 2 ramekin - one is plenty.

---------
You can also cut chilled polenta into French fry shape and fry, deep fry or oven bake and enjoy with a spicy ketchup.

-----
That’s all I can think of right now….
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Firm Polenta Ideas by cjs (Marye, this polenta ...)

Oh boy - thanks for these recipes -

Let you know how we liked the recipes.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.