Chipotles in Adobo Sauce!
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

There was a "Rush Hour Gourmet" recipe in the Food section last Thursday that piqued my interest. It's called "Chipotle Steak" and basically called for an 11-oz can of chipotles in adobo sauce pureed with 3 cloves of garlic and brushed on 4 thick rib eye steaks for 10-30 minutes. Grill for 6-8 minutes per side for medium rare.

Well I found a 7-oz can at the store. Curiosity got the best of me and I just opened the can. Holy Crap!! Those suckers are HOT HOT HOT!! I can't do this to us, I don't have enough purple pills in the world to squash the heartburn those babies would cause.

I have met my match. And I have yet to open that sriracha bottle in my cabinet.

Has any one of you used these chipotles in a recipe?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Chipotles in Adobo Sauce! by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]Ther...)
Brush the marinade on and let it sit on the steaks - the wipe off excess. The flavor they will impart is fantastic. It seems that brushing 11 oz of them is a little over the top. Puree half a can with the garlic (the remainder keep quite well in the fridge) and thin with a little red wine vinegar & olive oil.

We love these things!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Chipotles in Adobo Sauce! by Harborwitch (Brush the marinade o...)
Sharon is right--just brush a little adobo sauce over --save the peppers until you adjust to using them--they add a great smoky heat to anything when used in moderation---a can may last 6 or 8 recipes!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Chipotles in Adobo Sauce! by Old Bay (Sharon is right--jus...)
We've found a new treat Bill Chipotle sauce and canned cheese stuffed jalapenos in an adobo sauce!!! WOW!! Love those things. Love our Mexican groceries.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
I am on your side Barbara! I've only used those things once and no longer keep them in my pantry. I thought my tongue would fall off before it finally quit burning. I sometimes use a little of the sriracha when I make bentos. But be careful with it also.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Quote:

I have met my match. And I have yet to open that sriracha bottle in my cabinet.

Has any one of you used these chipotles in a recipe?

I can't live without chipotles or Sriracha, and I DO take the purple pills (well, actually a generic). Fortunately, hot, spicy foods are not among my triggers. In fact, I once had one restaurant's "mother-in-law" hot wings (their name, not mine) to calm down an acid reflux flare-up I was having. It worked perfectly. My primary trigger is caffeine (whether in coffee, tea, or chocolate), so I'm really cautious with those things.

I have all kinds of recipes that use chipotles. Of course, unless you're cooking for a small army, you'll never use the whole can at once - just one or two of the peppers, so use flip-open sandwich bags to make packets containing two peppers and a little of the sauce, twist them shut, and place the whole lot into a Ziploc bag, then into the freezer.

Here's a strange-sounding dip that is simply phenomenal (and addictive):

Goat Cheese with Chile Morita and Piloncillo Sauce
Makes about 2 cups cheese spread and about 1 1/4 cups sauce, serving 10 to 12.

For cheese spread:
  • 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 6 ounces soft mild goat cheese, at room temperature1
  • 1 small garlic clove, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon chile morita paste or minced canned chipotles chiles in adobo sauce
For sauce:
  • 1 tablespoon chile morita paste or minced canned chipotles chiles in adobo sauce
  • 8 ounces piloncillo
  • 1 cup heavy cream
Accompaniment:
  • Grilled bread, corn chips or crackers
Make cheese spread:
  1. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat together cheeses, garlic paste, and chile morita paste or minced chipotle chiles.
  2. Transfer mixture to a small serving bowl and chill, covered, at least 4 hours or overnight.
Make sauce:
  1. In a small saucepan combine chile morita paste or minced chiles chipotles, piloncillo, and cream and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally and breaking up sugar, until piloncillo is melted and sauce is smooth, about 20 minutes.
  2. Transfer sauce to a small serving bowl and chill, covered, for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
Serve:
  1. Spread cheese on grilled bread, corn chips or crackers and lightly drizzle with sauce.
Notes:
  1. If you don't like or can't get goat cheese, just use all cream cheese, instead.
  2. Piloncillo is Mexican unrefined sugar that comes in a small, brown cone. WalMart often has it in the produce and/or ethnic sections. If not available, you could use brown sugar, but the piloncillo is definitely better.
  3. From personal experience, I usually find that half of the sauce part of the recipe is sufficient.
  4. I usually prefer to let this soften a little bit - almost to room temperature - before serving, especially for ease of spreading.
Source:
  • Gourmet - "You Asked For It; Liberty Bar, San Antonio TX"
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Chipotles in Adobo Sauce! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I use them and we really like them. Usually one or two of the peppers with sauce is enough in a recipe for us. I freeze the rest in ice cube trays - one or two in each with the sauce. Works great.

Here is a funny - I have a similar recipe for marinating a flank steak - I read the recipe wrong - it called for two chilies in adobo sauce -

I read it to be two CANS of chilies in adobo sauce.

Whew! THAT WAS HOT!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Chipotles in Adobo Sauce! by esgunn (I use them and we re...)
Love chipotle and use it a lot. I didn't think about freezing them. Thanx, Erin, for that suggestion. I usually open a small can and then keep it in a container in the fridge and use one or two in various recipes and toss it after a few weeks. I've never used more than a few tablespoons in any recipe tho. Can't imagine a whole can in anything, unless you have an asbestos tongue.
  Re: Re: Chipotles in Adobo Sauce! by HomeCulinarian (Love chipotle and us...)
Those little buggers can be hot, but oh my, the flavor is so good! Start small, Barbara.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chipotles in Adobo Sauce! by cjs (Those little buggers...)
I agree with everyone else. I started small. I've got some in the freezer in a bag right now. I've used from the package (from a small can) about 3 times and have about a fourth left.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.