Store bought ham brought to glory!
  Re: (...)
Safeway had a sale on half hams about a month ago. We grabbed a big'n and threw it in the freezer (while trying to duck and slam the door as fast as possible! ). We hauled it out and cut a slice off to cook for dinner late last week.

Well I have to say that the closest thing to "smoke" this ham had ever been near was the no smoking sign in the processing plant! Grrrrrr - but at 79 cents a pound I wasn't going to [censored] too bad.

Yesterday I grabbed the ham and rubbed it down with a rib rub I had made, wrapped it in cheesecloth, and put it in the smoker along with a couple nice fat pork shanks (with a Cajun rub on them), and a chunk of pork loin cured for Canadian bacon. I soaked the cheesecloth on the ham with root beer (in a spray bottle) and frequently re-squirted the ham and the rest of the goodies. We smoked everything really slowly for about 5 hours.

All I can say is that the ham must taste like hams used to taste! I'm going to keep my eyes open for another one of those again - for smoker fodder.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Store bought ham brought to glory! by Harborwitch (Safeway had a sale o...)
good idea, Sharon - those 79 cent/lb. hams are too good to pass up and this is a great way to make them better!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Store bought ham brought to glory! by cjs (good idea, Sharon - ...)
It's like someone else did the curing - all I had to do was smoke it - it stayed juicy, cooked through, and the taste was incredible.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Store bought ham brought to glory! by Harborwitch (It's like someone el...)
I love it!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Store bought ham brought to glory! by Old Bay (I love it!!!...)
What a great discovery! Thanks for telling us about it, Sharon. Ron will love this.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Store bought ham brought to glory! by Mare749 (What a great discove...)
Great idea Sharon...William is intrigued. The hams here are on sale all the time for 79 and 89 cents.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.