Aebelskiver or Ebelskiver - Part III
  Re: (...)
O.K., my pan is on the island - we WILL have these little goodies this weekend, if not before to play before company comes.

I went thru the other two threads (thanks Daphne) and collected notes in one place (there are 7 pages on one of the threads!), and thought maybe someone else missed out on these the first time around - so here's some good info all together:

Aebelskiver or ebelskiver

Sharon: Being 1/4 Danish these were a grand treat when I was a little girl. My Grandmother would get up extra early on the mornings she planned to treat my Grandfather (and me) with Aebelskiver. We would have contests to see who could eat the most! I think Granddad let me win .

This is the recipe my Grandmother used - and I make them now and then for Bob and Jennifer. My kids loved them too.

DANISH ABELSKIVER

3 ½ C Flour
5 Large eggs, separated
¼ C Sugar
2 C Milk, scalded and cooled
½ TO 2/3 C Butter, melted
1 Cake or package yeast
Grated rind of 1 lemon or 1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
Ground cardamom (to taste)(this is a MUST to be authentic)

Put flour in a bowl and make a well in the center. Into the well put the egg yolks, sugar, 1 ¾ C. milk, and the melted butter. Work together with a spoon.

Dissolve the yeast in the remaining ¼ C milk and add along with the flavoring and the salt. Beat until smooth.

Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture. Set aside to rise until doubled.

Cook as usual making sure the pan is well buttered. Serve with an assortment of jams, jellies, and powdered sugar.

Cis: I've been following this thread and kept thinking I'd seen a recipe or a picture of the pan on C@H. I finally found it! Issue 47! Has anyone tried this one?? Is it authentic?? I love the pan, how cute.

Cis: That pan performed about as perfect as I could have wanted!! The puffs flipped as easy as could be. The crab puff recipe they had didn't look right to me.

It said:
1 slice bread crumbled in with 1lb canned crab, salmon or tuna.

Beat together one egg one Tbls mayo, one Tbls mustard, , one tsp bk pwdr, one Tblsp milk, and one tsp each Old bay, Worstershire and parsley. Blend well with crab mixture and bake as directed as aebleskivers batter.

Well, it just didn't look like batter to me so I added another egg and more spices, another 1/2t bk pwdr and a Tb of flour. Then it looked more like it.

They turned out beautiful. I used Tastes Like Butter to grease the cups and served the puffs with chili garlic sauce. Washed down with some Black & Tan's.

Oh one more thing, I didn't like the slice of bread thing so I subbed 1 T seasoned breadcrumb.

Next time I'm adding diced red pepper and onion.
Can't wait to try the apple/walnut one for breakfast with sauages and real maple syrup.

All in all this thing is gonna come in very handy for all kinds of quick appy's, desserts, brunch with the ladies etc.

Cis: YUM is all I can say!! We made the aebleskivers in C@H Issue 47. I added finely diced apples to the batter. I filled the cups @ 1/2 full, added crushed pecan and sugar/cinnamon and topped with a bit more batter. They were so good!! We had some breakfast sausage a hunter friend gave us and the family maple syrup. O MY what a great breakfast it was.

dbjjgibs: I love my pan-it is a nonstick not cast iron, but it is heavy. It is square and has 9 holes. If you search aebleskiver some of the Danish import stores have the square pan. I usually just make plain and drop 5-6 chocolate chips in each well. I dust them with powdered sugar and my kids scarf them down

Cis: So, all of you that bought pans, what's the verdict???? What have you tried? We had the apple and nut filled ones again this morning. This time used Bisquik in place of the dry ing. Still added a fluffed up egg white tho' plus yogurt for the buttermilk. It was way easier and still tasted yummy.

Sharon: What time are you planning on making them?? I have found that putting them in a warm bowl with a towel over the top works for short times - but they are best freshly made.

Are you using a yeast dough? I made them for Bob and Billy this weekend - they sure were good, although I had a bi#%h of a time getting that glass cooktop to hold the right temp. I think the guys didn't even mind too much that some of them got cold

Sharon: We found that the cinnamon apple jelly and sugar free apricot were the best - simply because there was no raspberry in the house.

Sharon: Sophia - we never fill them in the pan, always with "puddles" of jam, jelly, and/or sugars to be scooped up with the aebelskivers. I gave thought to fillings (as per the latest versions) but always revert to the original.

Cis: oh Jean, they are so good, skiver with apple, cinnamon, and walnut filling, toppped with REAL maple syrup and nice fat sausages on the side. WHATTA BREAKFAST, or brunch ususally. Makes me feel so strong and full, I could almost lift that chainsaw myself

-----

Cis & Sharon, you two may get all of us going again on these! thanks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Aebelskiver or Ebelskiver - Part III by cjs (O.K., my pan is on t...)
??
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Aebelskiver or Ebelskiver - Part III by Old Bay (?? [img]/ubbthreads/...)
I'm sorry, Bill - can't figure out what the above is all about? Instead of printing out 10-12 pages of notes and ideas (and off topic remarks ) in the two threads re making these little goodies, I just copied how and what all did when making them. that's all.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Aebelskiver or Ebelskiver - Part III by cjs (I'm sorry, Bill - ca...)
I see the pans advertised on a website I buy from, and keep threatening to buy them. They sound great!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Aebelskiver or Ebelskiver - Part III by cjs (I'm sorry, Bill - ca...)
I never heard of these things, that's all I meant.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Aebelskiver or Ebelskiver - Part III by Old Bay (I never heard of the...)
Then you must experiment along with me! They are delicious, but I've never made them...just eaten them.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Aebelskiver or Ebelskiver - Part III by cjs (Then you must experi...)
Sharon made them for us when I was down there one time. Sure were good.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Aebelskiver or Ebelskiver - Part III by bjcotton (Sharon made them for...)
O.K., the pan is going downstairs for the duration!! Those little goodies were better than I remembred. Thank heavens neighbors stopped in and I could put out the platter and they are all gone!

They are addictive. Now, I need a new project that I've never made....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Aebelskiver or Ebelskiver - Part III by cjs (O.K., the pan is goi...)
Underwater basket weaving