Egg Rolls and Spring Rolls and more
  Re: (...)
I made egg rolls and spring rolls yesterday. WHEW! I thought I'd never cool down/calm down to go to sleep. I now have 30 egg rolls in the freezer along with filling for about a dozen more. Since I changed the day for making these and DD could not be here, I froze filling for hers. I thought she would enjoy making her own egg rolls fresh. While I was at it, I decided to make my own plum sauce. I had originally planned to make the one I mentioned in one of the egg roll threads, but while looking it up, I discovered Erin’s recipe. Since I had most of the ingredients, I went with that one.

ANYWAY, while I was making egg rolls, I decided to make Jean's CRAB SPRING ROLLS W/MANGO KETCHUP. This is one of those things that just doesn't picture well, so no picture...sorry. I will comment that when I went to the Asian store to get my spring roll wrappers, the clerk pointed out two different types of wrappers. One was the same that Jeannette pictured, but he said those were not for frying. To fry, he pulled out some in the freezer section.

Now for the review....William LOVED the filling of the spring rolls the best, but requested I make them with regular wrappers next time. He liked the plum sauce but was whining about not having some of Y’s hot mustard. (Y was a little Vietnamese lady who had a restaurant next to his office. He used to eat there EVERY DAY. Her daughter refuses to share her mother’s recipes. OH WELL!) So if anybody has an outstanding TRIED AND TRUE hot mustard sauce, I’d love to have it. OS liked the spring rolls the best. He said he preferred the lighter wrapper. YS liked the regular egg rolls the best. I liked them both. We all loved both sauces!

To make things easier, I decided to put all the recipes in one place in case somebody wanted to try these. But I also included the threads if you’re interested.

CRAB SPRING ROLLS W/MANGO KETCHUP- VICKI C2C

Ingredients for Filling:
1lb Crab Claw Meat
1 t Nutmeg
2 t Cumin
2 t Dry Mustard
1 t Cayenne
1 T Cilantro, minced
1 T Fresh Thyme Leaves
Salt and Pepper

1/2 C Diced Yellow Bell Pepper
1/2 C Diced Red Bell Pepper
1/2 C Diced Yellow Onion
1 T Minced Garlic
Spring Roll Wrappers
Method:
Sweat the peppers, onions, and garlic in clarified butter.
Combine with remaining ingredients.
Place filling on wrappers, roll, and seal with egg wash.
Fry rolls in 350 degree oil 2-4 minutes until golden and warm in the center.
Serve with mango catsup.

Ingredients for Mango Catsup:
1 C Mango Puree (or diced fresh mango)
4 T Major Grey’s Chutney
4 T Catsup
2 T Soy
2 T Champagne Vinegar
4-6 each Dashes Tabasco Sauce
Method:
Puree ingredients in food processor.

MY NOTES: This made about 8 very large spring rolls. The wrappers I got were MUCH larger than regular egg roll wrappers. These are super yummy and the ketchup is very good. OS voted these the best!

Laura's Egg Rolls

This recipe will make about 45 egg rolls.

3 lbs ground pork (you can grind it yourself if you like)
3 t. fresh grated ginger
1 lb cooked shrimp (pulsed in a food processor til chopped)
1 large head of cabbage or 2 small heads, sliced thin (like cole slaw)
24 green onions, thinly sliced greens and whites
6-9 T. oil
3 teaspoons of salt
3 pkg. egg roll skins ( I use Melissa's, they bubble and crisp the best)

Cook ground pork in large skillet or wok in 1-2 T. oil until no longer pink. During cooking sprinkle with 1 t. salt and 3t. ginger. Remove from pan and drain.

To your skillet or wok add 3-4 T. oil, when hot add cabbage and stir fry for 1-2 minutes sprinke with 1-2 t. salt (remember you will be adding soy sauce though, but the cabbage will still need some salt.) Add green onions and soy sauce and cook until cabbage is tender and wilted, but not soggy. Toss in cooked shrimp and pork.

Line a large colander with paper towels and place colander in a large mixing bowl or over a plate to catch juices. Put egg roll filling in colander and press down.

Let this mixture sit either all day or overnight in the fridge. The cabbage will release its water, mixture will settle. You can weigh it down a bit if you like.

Next Day:

Use a #20 scoop (about the size of an ice cream scoop) to portion filling onto skins. Roll egg rolls according to the back of the egg roll package and seal with beaten egg and water.

Fry egg rolls in deep fryer at 375 until golden on the outside. Remember, they will darken more as they sit and drain, so don't overcook them. The filling in the middle is already cooked, so you don't need to worry about cooking the center. Only cook a few egg rolls at a time, depending on how many your deep fryer holds. I have found that turning them with a tongs is nearly impossible, but I do get an even browning by gently shaking the basket during cooking from side to side. This ensure even coating of hot oil. But be careful.

If you want to freeze your cooked egg rolls, place them in a single layer on a sheet pan and freeze. Then place them in a large zip lock, or portion them in freezer bags.

Erin's Sweet and Sour Plum Sauce

Recipe By :Linda J. Amendt
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 cups pitted, peeled and chopped ripe plums
(about 4 1/2 lbs)
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar - firmly packed
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup rice wine vinegar or cider vinegar
1/2 cup red onion -- minced
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon peeled and grated or minced fresh ginger
1 cup superfine sugar
1/3 cup instant clearjel powder

In an 8 quart stainless steel pan, combine the plums, brown sugar,
granulated sugar and vinegar. Stir in the onion, mustard, salt and
ginger.

Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. .

Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 30 minutes,
stirring frequently to prevent sticking and scorching.

Remove the pan from the heat, skim off any foam.

Press the mixture through a food mill or fine meshed sieve. Discard the
pulp. RInse the pan and return the sieved mixutre to the pan.

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine the superfine sugar and the clearjel.

Over low heat, heat the sauce until warm. Gradually sprinkle the clearjel
mixture over the surface of the sauce in a thin layer, stirring frequently
and breaking up any clumps that form.

It will take about 3 minutes to gradually stir in all of the clearjel
mixture. Stir gently to avoid trapping air bubbles in the sauce.

Continue to stir util the clearjel mixture is completely incorporated into
the sauce and no lumps remain. Remove the pan from the heat.

Ladle the sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Using a
plastic knife , remove any trapped air bubbles.

Wipe the jar rims and threads with a clean damp cloth. Cover with hot
lids and apply screw rings.

Process pint jars in a 200F water bath for 20 minutes.

Description:
"Full flavored red or purple plums are best for this recipe."
Source:
"Blue Ribbon Preserves"
Yield:
"4 pints"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This is great on chicken or pork - as a glaze or as a
dipping sauce.

If you want it spicy - stir in cayanne pepper to the
amount to be used for the glaze or the dipping sauce just
before use.

MY NOTES: I had to make a few adjustments to this one. I didn't have superfine sugar, so I blitzed some regular in the food processor. I didn't have arrowroot, so I used cornstarch. It was slightly thickened, but I will be using the Clearjel next time. I also didn't use a food mill, I just blitzed the whole thing in the food processor. Finally, I halved the recipe. I've got enough to freeze to go with all the egg rolls.

Here's the links to the threads:

Crab Spring Rolls with Mango Ketchup

Laura's Egg Rolls

Erin's Sweet and Sour Plum Sauce

Now, off to have an egg roll for lunch!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Egg Rolls and Spring Rolls and more by Gourmet_Mom (I made egg rolls and...)
What fun you must have had! Heat and all.

Haven't made any of these for a long time - I'm due.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Egg Rolls and Spring Rolls and more by cjs (What fun you must h...)
Daphne, I don't have a recipe for hot mustard, but bought a can of the dry mustard powder at the asian market and the directions say to just mix with water. So, we just mix a little bit at a time.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Egg Rolls and Spring Rolls and more by Mare749 (Daphne, I don't have...)
You know, I didn't think of checking the Asian market...DUH!

Speaking of the Asian market, I was so disappointed last Saturday. I went to get my pine nuts and they had changed brands. I don't think that was the reason, but the price had gone from $4.95 to $11.99 for nearly the same amount!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Egg Rolls and Spring Rolls and more by Gourmet_Mom (You know, I didn't t...)
Wow, do you have a Smart & Final or Cash & Carry in your area at all???? Much better prices.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Egg Rolls and Spring Rolls and more by cjs (Wow, do you have a S...)
Ouch! I found that Sam's Club carries Diamond brand pine nuts in bulk at a good price.
  Re: Re: Egg Rolls and Spring Rolls and more by HomeCulinarian (Ouch! I found that S...)
I let my club membership lapse, but there are more and more things that I need from there these days...time to renew. I hadn't worried about it when I found the bags at the Asian market cheap, but now....

Nope, no Smart & Final or Cash & Carry.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Egg Rolls and Spring Rolls and more by Gourmet_Mom (I let my club member...)
Hi

I mix the Coleman dry Mustard - with water, or sherry or flat beer

sometimes I mix it with rice vinegar and some sugar -

take a couple Tablespoons of dry mustard and mix in liquid of choice
a little at a time - it will thicken as it sets and gets hotter -

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Egg Rolls and Spring Rolls and more by mjkcooking (Hi [br][br]I mix the...)
I use Colemans Dry Mustard (yellow can). It is the best we have found.

Never thought to mix with other than water - duh! Will have to try that. THANKS.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Egg Rolls and Spring Rolls and more by esgunn (I use Colemans Dry M...)
Thanks Marye, I'll give that a try first, since I can get that locally.
Daphne