Roast Suckling Pig anyone?
  Re: (...)
While browsing through "The Spice Cook Book" published in 1964, I came across this recipe. It sounds delicious and I thought you might enjoy reading it if nothing else:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roast Suckling Pig (with Apple Cider Stuffing)

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Pork-Ham

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
12 pounds ready-to-cook suckling pig
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/16 teaspoon garlic powder

3 tablespoons butter -- melted
2 cups boiling water
1 small red apple
2 maraschino cherries
cranberry necklace
Raisin, Nut, and Apple Cider Stuffing

Wash pig in cold water and wipe dry. Rub the inside of pig with a mixture of the salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Stuff pig loosely with the Apple Cider Stuffing. Close opening with skewers and lace tightly with a string. Wipe the outside of skin and rub with melted butter. Place a small block of wood in the pig's mouth to brace it for the apple that will be inserted later.

Place the pig, in kneeling position, on a rack in a large shallow pan. Pour 2 cups of boiling water in the pan and cover loosely with foil.

Roast pig in a preheated slow oven (325°F) 5 hours or until meat is tender, basting every 3/4 hour with hot water from the pan. Add more water if necessary. Remove the pig to a large serving platter. Replace the wooden block with the apple. Insert a cherry in each eye socket. Place cranberry necklace around the pig's neck. Garnish platter with parsley and spiced fruit, if desired.

Roast Suckling Pig Gravy: Measure fat in the suckling pig roasting pan. There should be 1/3 cup. Pour it back into the pan and heat. Add 2 1/2 cups hot water or meat stock and stir with a wooden spoon to loosen the brown portion that is sticking to the bottom of the pan. Blend 1/3 cup flour with 1/3 cup water until smooth. Add to the pan liquid. Stir and cook until gravy has reached the desired thickness. Season with 1 tsp salt, 1/16 tsp ground black pepper, and 1/16 tsp garlic powder. Serve hot over meat and stuffing.

Source:
"The Spice Cookbook, pgs 367-368"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Raisin, Nut, and Apple Cider Stuffing

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Dressings-Stuffings-Dumplings

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
12 cups toasted bread cubes (croutons)
3/4 cup onion flakes
1/4 cup parsley flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
3 teaspoons celery seeds
3 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups seedless raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup butter -- melted
1 cup apple cider

Combine the first 9 ingredients. Mix well. Stir in butter and cider. Spoon into crop and body cavities of a 10-pound ready-to-cook goose or a 12-pound suckling pig. Close opening with skewers and lace tightly with a string. Make one-third of this recipe if you wish to stuff a ready-to-cook duck.

Source:
"The Spice Cookbook, pg 535"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Roast Suckling Pig anyone? by bjcotton (While browsing throu...)
Boy, does that bring back childhood memories for me. When I was a kid, my parents used to buy a piggy from a meat market that would smoke them for you. They were so unbelievably good! I love how this recipe says to make a cranberry necklace. How pretty this would look at the table.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Roast Suckling Pig anyone? by Mare749 (Boy, does that bring...)
Speaking of memories, from 1983 thru 2003 we raised pigs and kept one for a pig roast every year. Oh my, they were some good tastin' pigs!! spit roasted.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roast Suckling Pig anyone? by cjs (Speaking of memories...)
I remember that roasting pit and the spit you had up on the hill Jean. I couldn't imagine how you would get a pig on there, but it sure sounded good.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy