Mixed Berry Slump-Review
  Re: (...)
First, let me say, I have never had a slump, or grunt, as it is supposed to be called in the South, in my life. Second, I have never been a big fan of dumplings in veggies...too "bready" to me. That being said, I was intrigued by this recipe, so I tried it.

I made the recipe as written with the exception of subbing 3 pints of blueberries for the berries in the recipe. The reason for this is that it is blueberry season here and fresh blackberries are hard to come by...raspberries are impossible.

The boys LOVED it! William and I were put off by the "dumplings", but the fruit is AWESOME! I used the brandy instead of the apple juice and was VERY pleased with the results. The little bit of lemon in it gave it a perfect lemony flavor that kept it from being too sweet and took it over the top! I was surprised how much the lemon flavor came through.

I don't think there is more than a serving left! I have threatened everyone in the house that there better be AT LEAST a serving of this and the ice cream for me tomorrow night. >>>>Crossing fingers<<<<<

I want to make this again, but would like a more traditional, pastry dough type cobbler topping. There was lemon zest in the dumplings, so I want to make sure I add that to the topping next time. Suggestions? HURRY! I've been commanded to make this again in the next few days...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Mixed Berry Slump-Review by Gourmet_Mom (First, let me say, I...)
I've never had slump either I'm no help here, but I am inspired!
  Re: Mixed Berry Slump-Review by Gourmet_Mom (First, let me say, I...)
Daphne, I have never had a slump or a grunt. And this is a bit untraditional of a cobbler - but it is Awsome! It is so good. It is a C@H recipe from a few years back - it does not have lemon zest in it, but you could add it. I sub Macadamia nuts for Pecans originally called for in the recipe. One of my favorites.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Blackberry Cobbler

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Deserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 cups blackberries
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup tapioca
1/2 lime -- juiced
1 pinch salt
1 cup flour -- all-purpose
1 cup coconut shreds --sweetened
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup macadamia nut -- chopped
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter -- -- cubed
1 egg

Preheat oven to 375. Toss together berries, sugar, tapioca, lime juice

and salt. Spoon into 2 qt baking dish

combine flour, coconut, sugar, nuts, baking

powder, and salt. Using fingers, kneed in butter

until incorporated. Should look like sand or peas

Blend in the egg - it will be sticky. spread in

clups over berries fairly evenly.

Bake for 45-50 minutes or until topping is golden

and crisp and filling is thick and bubbly.

cool on rack for 1 hour.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home Issue 52 Aug 2005"
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Mixed Berry Slump-Review by esgunn (Daphne, I have neve...)
Daphne, don't you just LOVE it when you try something new and it's wonderful???

The meadow trails which I run on are lined with black raspberry and blackberry bushes (wild) and I watch closely to try to notice when the berries are ripe but before the birds and deer decide to have a snack. The other day I was able to pick 2 cups of black raspberries (which doesn't sound like much, but took over an hour, and was well worth it!)

My Mom makes an excellent cobbler, which she pours hot water over before baking and that makes a shiny, crisp-top to the dough, but I opted to make a crisp (because I could pretend it was healthy and use oats and canola oil to top the fruit with). Served warm with Edy's Light vanilla bean ice cream, it was heaven!

Anyway, here is a short description of these types of desserts. Depending on where you live, there are different regional names for the same types of baked fruit desserts:

Buckle

Buckles are baked and are usually made in one or two ways. The first way is that bottom layer is cake-like with the berries mixed in. Then the top layer is crumb-like. The second way is where the cake layer is on the bottom of the pan, the berries are the next layer and the top is the crumble mixture. Blueberry Buckle is the most prevalent Buckle recipe found.

Cobbler

The fruit filling is put in a deep baking dish and topped with a biscuit dough. The dough may completely cover the fruit or it may just be dropped in handfuls or biscuit-like discs.

Crumble/ Crisp

The topping is crumbled over the fruit filling in the pan.

Grunt/Slump

A Grunt is a stewed or baked fruit dish. The biscuit dough is rolled and put on top of the fruit.

Now you know!

I bought a bag of cherries the other day, and my favorite food-toy from last year, a cherry/olive pitter, is waiting for me to make a cherry crisp soon. Our weather has been unusually dry and cooler than usual, so I'm actually baking in July (unheard of in my un-airconditioned house!).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Mixed Berry Slump-Review by foodfiend (Daphne, don't you ju...)
You know Vicci, I had never heard of a Grunt/Slump OR a buckle until recently. My mother picks up cookbooks CHEAP at a local consignment shop and had just passed several on to me. One, The Ultimate Southern Living (a massive volume) has several great features, including a great tutorial at the beginning of each section. The dessert section had all of these AND a Betty. Lo and behold, my magazine came a day or two later with all of these. Weird huh?

I am jealous of your pitter. I wish I had one. Cherries are on sale right now and a cherry crisp sounds awesome!

Also, I would love it if you could include the topping recipe for your mom's cobbler. It sounds JUST like what I'm looking for to replace the topping for this recipe.

Erin, does the topping in the recipe you posted have that type of topping? (Never mind, I just noticed it has coconut in it. Labs and I have that in common...LOL!) I want to keep the filling recipe as is. I have it in my head that the 1/4 cup of brandy just sends it over the top!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Mixed Berry Slump-Review by Gourmet_Mom (You know Vicci, I ha...)
Don't know if you would be interested in this kind of cobbler, Daphne, but growing up my Grandmother and mother made cobblers with a top pie crust - no bottom crust, just a top. I still love cobblers made like this. A lot of times the topping for cobblers (or whatever they are called around the country) are more topping than fruit - don't like that much.

I've added lemon zest/juice and/or grated cheese to pie crusts - WHEN I make them from scratch, which is not often.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mixed Berry Slump-Review by cjs (Don't know if you wo...)
Jean, that's what I was wondering. I think when I make this again, I may just buy a pie crust, sprinkle it with grated zest and "roll" it into the crust, egg wash and sprinkle with a little sugar....whatcha think? That's the kind of cobblers I've always liked best as well...not so "bready".

BTW, if I was to switch up the cornstarch slurry (2 T lemon juice and 3 T cornstarch), do I sub an equal amount of tapioca or more?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Mixed Berry Slump-Review by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, that's what I ...)
Daphne, I use 2 T. tapioca to replace 1 T. cornstarch. Sounds really good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mixed Berry Slump-Review by cjs (Daphne, I use 2 T. t...)
Thanks Jean. I think I'll up the lemon juice a little also. I can't decide if the lemony flavor or the brandy is what really made these berries taste so good...probably both!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Mixed Berry Slump-Review by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Jean. I thin...)
Daphne, buy one of these-- you will only use it occasionally but it is an absolute wonder with pitting cherries quickly without the mess:
[Image: 31jq38HECaL._SL500_AA280_.jpg]

OXO Good Grips Cherry Pitter
Note the clear plastic piece which the cherry drops into as it is being "pitted"-- no spattering!

I'll try to wrest Mom's recipe from her. I don't make these usually because, as with all baked treats, if I make it the two of us will eat it all (and probably in only a day or two).

Edited to add:

I did a search and found the original recipe which Mom clipped from our local paper years ago!

Shiny Top Cobbler

Suzanne Martinson
Pittsburgh Post Gazette
January 06, 2000

One of my great pleasures as food editor is to visit Western Pennsylvania farms and see where our wonderful produce is grown. The recipe for Shiny Top Cobbler came from Schramm Farms and Orchards.

This unusual cobbler, which is topped with boiling water, is as delicious as it is attractive. Good served with ice cream.

5 or more cups fresh fruit (peaches, blueberries, cherries or apples)
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup margarine, softened
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg

Topping:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 cups boiling water

Spread fruit (we've used the recipe for both cherries and a peach-blueberry combination) in well-greased 9-by-13-inch pan. If using apples, sprinkle them with cinnamon.

In medium bowl, mix flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 cups sugar, milk, margarine (we used butter), baking powder and egg. Spread mixture over fruit.

In small bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and cornstarch. Sprinkle over batter, then pour 1 1/2 cups boiling water over batter. Bake for 1 hour in 350-degree oven.

Martha Schramm
Schramm Farms and Orchards