C@H New Book Reviews
  Re: (...)
One dish was from the weeknight menus #3 - Honey-Mustard Chicken.
[Image: Honey-MustardChix.jpg]

It's a 20 minute meal and it is! The stone-ground mustard made all the difference in the coating and salad dressing. With toasted walnuts and chevre - yumm!!

The other dish is from the new Grilling book #3 - Broccoli Slaw
[Image: BroccoliSlaw.jpg]

Great side dish with just enough spiciness to make it interesting. (I had never seen 'broccoli slaw' pkg. before - is this a nice product!)

I'll be making both of these again. Very good and fast.

Oh, and of course - dessert!!!!
[Image: CreamCheeseIceCream.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: C@H New Book Reviews by cjs (One dish was from th...)
That looks wonderful! Thanks for posting the pictures.
Guess we'll have to try the broccoli slaw again. Had it once and wasn't overjoyed. Maybe it was the dressing.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: C@H New Book Reviews by Mare749 (That looks wonderful...)
There's something magically perfect about the combination of honey mustard and chicken, just as there's something magically perfect about chicken tempura. Oddly enough, I've never used honey mustard WITH chicken tempura. Well, I guess I know what I'll be getting at the store, today! LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: C@H New Book Reviews by labradors (There's something ma...)
YUM! Ever since you mentioned the chicken yesterday, I've been craving it...thus my dinner choice... honey mustard glazed pork. The slaw looks wonderful...Could you maybe post that? Please? No wait...I've got that book!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: C@H New Book Reviews by cjs (One dish was from th...)
We love broccoli slaw. Thanks for the review.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: C@H New Book Reviews by Lorraine (We love broccoli sla...)
Jean, thanks for the idea. I KINDA made the slaw last night. The local grocery doesn't carry the broccoli slaw, but they DID have broccoli crowns on sale. I got to thinking as I looked at the ingredients. My mother used to make a broccoli salad very similar...why not. I broke the flowerettes (sp?) off, peeled the stem and cut them into small pieces. I forgot the raisins, but subbed some Craisins I had. They didn't have the sunflower seeds, so I subbed toasted pine nuts. It was VERY good, but to be honest, it was very much like my mother's broccoli salad from years ago...LOL!

I'll try it with the broccoli slaw as soon as I can get some...much easier. But I'm going to keep the other substitutions.
Daphne
  Re: Re: C@H New Book Reviews by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, thanks for the...)
I used toasted pine nuts also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: C@H New Book Reviews by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, thanks for the...)
Daphne, this recipe for broccoli salad was in last month's Eating Well magazine. Much fewer calories than the original and is actually very tasty. I subbed chicken for the broccoli the second time and it was good.

Broccoli Bacon Salad

Makes 6 servings, 1 scant cup each
Ingredients

1 clove garlic, minced
¼ cup low-fat mayonnaise
¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
4 cups finely chopped broccoli crowns (see Tip)
1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and chopped
3 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
3 tablespoons dried cranberries
Freshly ground pepper to taste
eating well Broccoli-Bacon Salad Ingredients Cont.

eating well Broccoli-Bacon Salad Instructions

Whisk garlic, mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar and sugar in a large bowl. Add broccoli, water chestnuts, bacon, cranberries and pepper; stir to coat with the dressing.
eating well Broccoli-Bacon Salad Instructions Cont.

eating well Broccoli-Bacon Salad Tips

Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.

Tip: Most supermarkets sell broccoli crowns, which are the tops of the bunches, with the stalks cut off. Although crowns are more expensive than entire bunches, they are convenient and there is considerably less waste.
eating well Broccoli-Bacon Salad Tips Cont.

eating well Broccoli-Bacon Salad Nutrition Information

Per serving: 89 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrate; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 200 mg sodium; 193 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat

Forgot to mention, I subbed toasted pecans for the water chestnuts.
Shannon
  Re: Re: C@H New Book Reviews by Dismc (Daphne, this recipe ...)
Thanks for the reduced calorie recipe. The one in the newest Grilling magazine is more different than I remembered. The flavor was there, but more of a vinaigrette. I had TOTALLY forgotten about the bacon...go figure. But I really didn't miss it.

"Tip: Most supermarkets sell broccoli crowns, which are the tops of the bunches, with the stalks cut off. Although crowns are more expensive than entire bunches, they are convenient and there is considerably less waste.
eating well Broccoli-Bacon Salad Tips Cont."

I may be sharing something that you all already do, but many years ago, I watched my mother make the Broccoli Bacon Salad and realized I had been wasting a lot of broccoli. It had never occurred to me that the stems could be used raw if they were peeled. It's a hassle, but worth it. Now I use every part of the broccoli....even when using the crowns I got yesterday, I stripped down the little bit of stem and used it in the salad. I don't usually buy crowns, if the whole broccoli bunches are available. It's just that these were on sale...$1.79 for two nice sized crowns. Not a bad deal for a really good salad...I had everything else...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: C@H New Book Reviews by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the reduc...)
You could also cut the stalks into chunks and keep the florets aside, using the chunks for the initial part of cream-of-broccoli soup, that you will purée. Then add the florets to the puréed soup and let them finish cooking. That way, you don't have to "waste" some of the florets in the purée, and you won't waste the stalks at all.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?