Leftover Chicken?
  Re: (...)
As I mentioned in the "What's for dinner" thread, I want to try Jean's Tomato Black Bean Pudding and need an entree to go with it.

Here's what I have:

leftover chicken
refried beans
corn and flour tortillas
sour cream
cheddar cheese
(as well as typical staple items)

from the garden/deck:
several varieties and colors of sweet peppers
several varieties of hot peppers
corn
onions (green and yellow)
green leaf lettuce
several varieties of tomatoes
basil, parsley, tarragon, and oregano (lost my thyme)

I would really like to use what I have and this is all SCREAMING tacos or fajitas. Oddly enough, I have never made either with anything but beef. So a little advice on direction to go with this would be helpful.
(And yes, I know I need to pick up some cilantro while getting some more cheese. I hope they have it today!)

Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Leftover Chicken? by Gourmet_Mom (As I mentioned in th...)
How about a Mexican stir-fry??? Use chili oil, cilantro (and why do you not have some in the freezer for emergencies??? ) and wrap it in a tortilla?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Leftover Chicken? by cjs (How about a Mexican ...)
"and why do you not have some in the freezer for emergencies??? " I know...this bunch will not go bad like the last.

I think I'm gonna combine some things and do a burrito/taco bar thingy.
Using your idea, I'll shred, season and warm the chicken (and sweet peppers?) as you suggest. Then make some Definitive Salsa, some seasoned sour cream from the Taco Salad recipe (love that stuff!), warmed refried beans, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, and flour and corn tortillas. Since I can't decide between the two, I figure this will satisfy both cravings!Wink

And of course, Tomato Black Bean Pudding on the side. I know it's overkill and will probably just have the pudding and the seasoned chicken wraps, but the way this crowd has been eating lately....
Daphne
  Re: Re: Leftover Chicken? by Gourmet_Mom ("and why do you not ...)
BTW, can I just take some of my fresh hot peppers and simmer them for a few minutes to make my own chili oil? I MAY have some dried chilies in the cabinet and finding some locally is "iffy"...if not will the fresh work?

I have sesame oil, but wonder that it would give it a strange flavor?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Leftover Chicken? by Gourmet_Mom (BTW, can I just take...)
Yes, I'd just heat the chilis and oil to very warm and take off heat and let steep. Don't know if you have the freezer space, but because flavored oil can be so dangerous, I freeze mine as I do when I roast garlic and save that oil.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com