Summer Drinks
  Re: (...)
Got a new MAC and have been busy inputting old recipes. Thought some of you might enjoy this really good summer drink.

Harvey Wallbanger Slush

5 cups orange juice
3/4 cup vodka
1/3 cup Galliano
Orange slices
Maraschino Cherries

In large bowl, mix 1st 3 ingredients. Stir to mix well. Pout into 2 quart freezer container. Freeze 6 hours or overnight.

To serve; Spoon into stemmed glasses and garnish with orange slices and cherries.

Serves 6
Shannon
  Re: Summer Drinks by Dismc (Got a new MAC and ha...)
Yes to Harvey Wallbangers!!! Haven't had one for years. I have a recipe for galliano if you're interested.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Summer Drinks by cjs (Yes to Harvey Wallba...)
I am interested. Haven't made Galliano in years and have no idea where my recipe is. Maybe I'll find it in this huge pile
of old recipes but would love yours, regardless.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Summer Drinks by Dismc (I am interested. Ha...)
I made galliano a couple of years and never could find pineapple extract, so I just used some pineapple juice in place of it. I've since heard they (McCormick's) don't make it anymore.

* Exported from MasterCook *

GALLIANO AND HARVEY WALLBANGERS

2 cups sugar
1 cup water
6 tsp. pineapple extract
3 tsp. vanilla extract
1 ½ tsp. banana extract
½ tsp pure anise extract
5 drops yellow food coloring

Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan; boil gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.

Remove from heat and measure out 2 cups of the sugar syrup. Pour into a large container, let cool and add all extracts. Add 1 quart 100 proof vodka and food coloring. Shake or stir the container to blend the ingredients.

Makes approximately 1 1/2 quarts of liqueur.

For Harvey Wallbangers -
In a blender, put 1 part Galliano, 2 parts vodka and 6 parts orange juice. Add a sliced banana and blend until smooth and frothy.

NOTE to all: It's been so many years, I can't remember how many we made at a time, but I'll test this along with you all…..rough job. And I'm thinking:

2 oz. Galliano
4 oz. vodka
12 oz. orange juice
1 whole banana

And we're also trying to remember if we added ice to the blender - another fact finding chore!! These are so good! And summer's coming

When our children were teenagers, we dug and installed a swimming pool and the adults felt so elegant with the blender installed out on the deck with all the makings for Harvey Wallbangers - especially made from home made Galliano. Keep in mind this was a soft sided, above ground pool, but oh, were we ever elegant!!

---

The notes are from testing the recipe for a cookbook.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Summer Drinks by cjs (I made galliano a co...)
Here's one for you. Although I don't drink I still collect the cool sounding ones:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Berry Cool Margaritas

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Beverages

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup Oregon Blackberries, including juice
1/4 cup tequila
2 tablespoons orange liqueur
1/4 cup lime juice
2 cups crushed ice

Blend berries and ice in a blender for 10-12 seconds. Add remaining ingredients and blend until ice is almost smooth. Pour into 12 ounce glasses.

TIP: Pour pureed berries through a sieve before adding remaining ingredients if you prefer a seedless drink. Moisten rim of glass with lime or orange and dip in sugar. You may also omit alcohol and add 1/2 cup orange juice if desired.

Source:
"New Seasons Market"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Summer Drinks by bjcotton (Here's one for you. ...)
That sounds like something I could love a lot Billy.

Jean I printed the Galliano recipe - love that stuff! Thank you both.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Summer Drinks by Harborwitch (That sounds like som...)
I made this one the other night (from the pre-current, August 2009, issue of Eating Well):
[Image: 6332summer_cocktails_2.jpg]

Cherry Smash

Celebrate fresh cherries with this mint-infused cherry cocktail. Black cherry-flavored seltzer gives the drink the most cherry flavor, but plain seltzer also works well.

Makes 4 servings

ACTIVE TIME: 10 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 10 minutes

EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

1 cup pitted fresh or frozen (thawed) cherries
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, plus 4 sprigs for garnish
8 teaspoons sugar
6 ounces (3/4 cup) dark rum
1/4 cup lime juice
3 cups cherry-flavored seltzer

Divide cherries, mint leaves and sugar among 4 glasses. Mash everything together with the back of a wooden spoon. Stir in rum and lime juice. Fill glasses with ice and top with seltzer. Garnish with mint sprigs.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 161 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrate; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 131 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 fruit

It did not make 4 servings... rather, 3, and strong ones at that. But we loved them. I used a little less sugar and muddled everything in a small pitcher (like making mojitos), added rum, then divided it between 2 glasses and topped with unflavored seltzer. In fact, I think I'll go and make one now. It's cocktail hour, and I want to use my cherry pitter again!

I'm Baaaaack!!!

Here is how I retooled the EW recipe, and we both like it better:

In a small pitcher, muddle:
3/4 cup pitted fresh cherry halves
5 large mint leaves, torn into quarters
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Sir in:
3 ounces dark rum

Place ice in 2 12-ounce highball glasses.
Using a spoon, scoop the cherry/mint mixture evenly between the glasses.
Pour remaining liquid into glasses, dividing evenly.

Top with seltzer, and stir gently with a spoon.

Serve with spoons in order to eat the rum-soaked cherry/mint
ambrosia after the liquid has been consumed.

The resulting drinks have a cherry-mojito flavor, and are verrrrrrrrry good! *hic!*

Now, what to make for dinner...

Re: Re: Summer Drinks by foodfiend (I made this one the ...)
I will NOT look at any more posts until I get BACK from the grocery store!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.