Goldensandwich
  Re: (...)
Believe it or not this modified from Vol 2 (Sept '94), Saveur!! Vol 1 is the only one I don't have. Pure Italian--just had one. Delicious!! Perfect summer lunch with a salad and/or tomatoes--white or light red wine is perfect!!(I'm crazy-I had an early maturing Barolo). My version is modernized, but I think .

Heat 1/4 C olive oil in a small saucepan over low heat --add 8 sage leaves and 3 cloves of garlic, chopped. Simmer one min--remove from heat. Set aside to infuse 20 min.Strain. Discard solids.

Roast one large yellow bell pepper, cool, peel, remove seeds and stem, and chop medium. Add 1/2 t balsamic vinegar, 1/4 t lemon juice, and 2 t of the sage oil.

Split a 9 inch square piece of foccacia or ciabatta bread and warm each side , cut side down in a panini pan (med high heat) until hot, using the press. Remove. Cover one side with the pepper mixture and layer with room temp thick slices of taleggio cheese (any semi soft cheese you like)--cover with other side of the bread--place back in the pan with the press over the top--turn in 2 min--remove after 2 more min. Let sit 5 min. Slice into 4 sandwiches.

This the way it is presented in Saveur-- I will tell you,you will need, olive oil, sage leaves, chopped garlic, a roasted yellow bell pepper, balsamic vinegar, lime juice, a loaf of bread, and taleggio cheese. It is not as much work as it seems.

Jane is visiting family in South Carolina. I had some guys over for "hold 'em" last nite- ( I won $34---loved it!!!)----I'm cooking the rest of the time--It is literally 110 in the shade here--no desire to play golf! The pool sounds good too-I may have to add ice--I think the water was 92 today.
  Re: Goldensandwich by Old Bay (Believe it or not th...)
Bill, I just love that type of sandwich and haven't had one in a while! Thanks for posting, it sounds delish!

Is that normal weather for you in the summer? I saw on the weather channel that you haven't had rain in a good long time and that there probably would not be a corn crop this year. Don't think I could take that kind of heat.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Goldensandwich by Mare749 (Bill, I just love th...)
"taleggio cheese" - as well as I love cheese, I'm going out on a limb here and say this is probably my favorite cheese. Just love the creamy flavor. The sandwich sounds like simple pleasure!! Will be making it, that's for sure. Thanks Bill.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Goldensandwich by cjs ("taleggio cheese" - ...)
Okay, I'm picking up the ingredients for this soon! I wonder what the chances are that taleggio comes in a reduced fat version (hahahahahahaha!!!!!)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Goldensandwich by foodfiend (Okay, I'm picking up...)
You're losing your little mind, Vicci!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Goldensandwich by cjs (You're losing your l...)
Vicci, I still haven't figured out low fat half and half!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Goldensandwich by Old Bay (Vicci, I still haven...)
Mind? What mind?!?!?

Old Bay, I think that the lowfat version of half-and-half uses skim milk instead of whole, and adds careegan (sp?) to thicken it a bit, but it has worked well for me (except that it separates when boiled, which is not pretty...)

I re-read the recipe and it does sound heavenly...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Goldensandwich by Mare749 (Bill, I just love th...)
Quote:

Bill, I just love that type of sandwich and haven't had one in a while! Thanks for posting, it sounds delish!

Is that normal weather for you in the summer? I saw on the weather channel that you haven't had rain in a good long time and that there probably would not be a corn crop this year. Don't think I could take that kind of heat.

This the hottest summer in years!! 10-15 degrees above norm--our folks have lost their corn too. No measurable rain in 65 days. I understand its 20 degrees below normal and wet on the East coast and North--maybe we could share!! Letterman had Lady Liberty in waders one nite last week. (Saw it on the Sunday Funnies this morning on Stephanoupolus (sp?))
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Goldensandwich by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I wish I could share Bill! It has been VERY bearable here, and we had a good deal of rain at the start of summer. BUT rain is getting sketchy these days. Some areas are getting plenty, others are not. We're okay here so far, as evidenced by my beautiful tomatoes and peppers. I just hope it holds a little longer.

I told William about the sandwich, and he likes it...I'll have to look for that cheese, or find a suitable substitute. Although, to hear you and Jean describe it, I have a feeling there IS no true substitute.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Goldensandwich by Gourmet_Mom (I wish I could share...)
"(Saw it on the Sunday Funnies this morning on Stephanoupolus (sp?))" what??? what????? what????? I can't believe you watch George...Roy leaves the room.

Daphne, I hope you will perservere in looking for the talaggio - it is so worth it.
www.achefsjourney.com