Decadence, Part II
  Re: (...)
Oh my, this darn cream cheese ice cream has created a monster!! As we speak, I have chocolate-cream cheese ice cream turning, turning, turning.

But, I wanted to make it a little healthier, so I combined some recipes and I've got to warn you this is a little discombubalated, but if you have a great afternoon to your own self, it's really fun.

I found a no cook chocolate ice cream base and instead of whipping heavy cream for it, I froze evaporated milk and all the utensils for ~1 hour. then whipped it up and added it to the chocolate base, usig 60% bittersweet chocolate.

I made the cream cheese batter with more evaporated milk (in place of the heavy cream)and combined the two. I had enough for two batches. Next time I'll do half for each. Anyway, so far it tastes just delicious - I'll wait to see how it is after it seasons in the freezer for a while..... maybe!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Decadence, Part II by cjs (Oh my, this damn cre...)
Oh, that just sounds soooo good! I forgot to freeze the bowl for my ice cream maker, so will have to do this tomorrow, but I'm going to try the lower fat variety and I'll post my results. It will probably taste pretty darn amazing since I haven't had ice cream in two months.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Decadence, Part II by Mare749 (Oh, that just sounds...)
I KNEW I shouldn't have looked BEFORE going to the store...William will kill me!

Jean, your going to get me in soooo much trouble!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Decadence, Part II by Gourmet_Mom (I KNEW I shouldn't h...)
Jean, I'm lost--is this high fat, low fat, or just rich!?!?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Decadence, Part II by Old Bay (Jean, I'm lost--is t...)
Bill, I'm going to try to explain, since Jean may not check in until morning. It looks like Jean used evaporated milk instead of cream to bring down the fat content while keeping the rich taste.

If you look back at the original post for "Decadance" you will see the original recipe she posted. She also gave us all the variations that other people had tried. That is why I mentioned trying the lower fat version.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Decadence, Part II by Mare749 (Bill, I'm going to t...)
That makes sense.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Decadence, Part II by Old Bay (That makes sense. [i...)
We went to a party last night and came home and had some of the ice cream, even tho we really weren't hungry in the least. This ice cream is so creamy smooth and the bittersweet chocolate is just so wonderful.

The chocolate base is a little different than any I've tried before - the successful ones were always cooked but this one doesn't need it.

1 tsp. espresso powder (or instant ccoffee)
1 T. hot water
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
pinch salt
1 1/4 cups heavy cream, cold (this is the amount of evaporated milk, I chilled and whipped)

combine espresso and hot water and let stand till coffee dissolves,5 min. Microwave the chococlate, 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk and coffee mixture, stirring every 10 seconds till melted, about 1 minute. Stir in vanilla and salt. Let cool.

Whip up the 1 1/4 cup evaporated milk and fold into the chocolate mixture, then in my mixer on very low speed, I mixed this into the cream cheese mixture and did two batches in the ice cream machine. Makes 2 qts. (which is more than my machine will hold, so will half everything next time... maybe

Really good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Decadence, Part II by cjs (We went to a party l...)
Well, the man INSISTED on buying another dang pineapple...thanks, Jean! But this is on to make before this week is out...for sure!!!! (I DO have the fixings for the Chocolate Tapioca Pudding, so I'm making that for ME tonight!)

I'm going to the city next week, so I want to remember to pick up some GOOD dark or bittersweet chocolate. From experience with this ice cream, I'm thinking one or the other would be best, and I can't get it here. Any recommendations on brand? Bakers, Ghirardelli, Hershey's, Lindt (candy isle), and Lu Le Petit Colier(candy isle)are all I see on the online grocery...but I'm sure Fresh Market will have at least one or more other varieties. Speaking of the candies...can I use those for cooking/ice cream? If so, I'd be able to get dark chocolate locally.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Decadence, Part II by Gourmet_Mom (Well, the man INSIST...)
I prefer 65-75% bittersweet - just don't care for any higher %, personal preference. (pssst...Daphne, you're gonna love this one. )
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Decadence, Part II by cjs (I prefer 65-75% bitt...)
You devil, you!
Daphne