What a day....
  Re: (...)
And I'm not done yet!

Our rooster and two of our hens thought it would be a good idea to check out the hunting dogs INSIDE their pen....DUH! So William found a guy to take the dogs off his hands. He didn't hunt with them last fall, and they were jsut eating their heads off. So, this morning we got up and headed to the Chadbourn Livestock Auction. Here's a few shots of the experience if you're interested.

A visit to the livestock auction

If not, at least check out our new family members, our lunch, and my next project.

A trip to the farm
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: What a day.... by Gourmet_Mom (And I'm not done yet...)
What suggestive prose, beautiful roosters and hens, and the beginning of a bountiful summer!!! Beautiful pictures.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What a day.... by Old Bay (What suggestive pros...)
Once more, great set of pictures, Daphne. Thanks for showing them to us. So, what did you bring home?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What a day.... by Mare749 (Once more, great set...)
Great!! The produce looks wonderful - so, did those tomatoes and bacon 'morph' into BLTs??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I may not have quite understood. Did the dogs eat the chicken's heads off?!

Or did you get rid of the dogs and sell the chickens at auction. Sorry I am a little slow today.
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: What a day.... by iCook (I may not have quite...)

Thanks everybody. We had a fun day, and I had a blast typing in the text for the pictures. It's funny, the animals' (and peoples') faces just spoke to me when I got home. I just couldn't help myself!

Yes, Jean, they did indeed....without the lettuce. It grows on the deck at the house...but they were darn good anyway!

Maryann, I guess my introductions weren't clear. The roosters, Sampson and Elvis, and the Rhodes Island Reds, as well as the pheasants were the purchases from yesterday. The joke about the pheasants probably wasn't clear either...There was a peacock for sale, and we THOUGHT the two smaller ones that came after were peacocks also. We got them home and they were pheasants! Oh well, I like pheasant...as a matter of fact I've got a "killer" recipe that I don't get to use very often! (pun intended) Actually, I would like to turn them loose and see them breed on the farm, but William doesn't think they'd survive. We'll see!

LOL Karen!!!! You're not slow...I guess I may have not been very clear. The dogs ATE some of the chickens. We went to the auction to replace the ones we lost.
Daphne
Quote:

He didn't hunt with them last fall, and they were jsut eating their heads off.

Too funny! You can imagine the mental picture I had of this event. I didn't know if you meant the dogs were 'eating you out of house and home' or if it was a massacre of monumentous proportions on the chickens.

Well, too bad about some of the chickens though, that's a bummer. The auction place looks very fun. Wish we could have some chickens around here.
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: What a day.... by iCook ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
and once dogs get a taste of chickens, there is no stopping them. We had to get rid of a couple of dogs that accidently got into our chickens.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What a day.... by cjs (and once dogs get a ...)
"I didn't know if you meant the dogs were 'eating you out of house and home' "

Oh, this was true also, but I figured that was where I confused the situation, so I left that part out when I explained.

William had been thinking of getting rid of them. He figured he'd been feeding the rascals about 100 dollars worth of food a month and they didn't have to work for it (i.e. didn't hunt last year), he'd just get rid of them. When they DARED to eat two of his hens and Dexter, the rooster...they were gone! The fact the chickens got in the pen WITH the dogs was moot!

Jean, that was another thing. The dogs have been known to mysteriously escape WITHOUT having chickens roost outside the pen. I'm afraid the temptation was going to be too much after their first taste.
Daphne
  Re: Re: What a day.... by Gourmet_Mom ("I didn't know if yo...)
We have chicken snakes down here. They are nocturnal and eat the eggs. My Uncle Homer was a retired RR detective and raised chickens later in his life. The snakes annoyed him, so he ingeniously invented a trap--he would boil eggs, peel them and put a fish hook inside tied to fishing line with line tied to a stake. In the morning he would always have 6 or 8 snakes writhing around in the yard caught on the hooks. I was really impressed. Do you all have chicken snakes? There are 110 species of snakes, 95 are in Texas.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".