What's for Dinner - Sunday 7/12/09??
  Re: (...)
I have no idea - will wait and see what you all are up to and get some ideas. (do know what we're having for dessert tho. )

For brunch pizza has been requested - spicy sausage, caramelized onions and don't know what cheese yet and a little bubbly. (Cheese, darn, since Bill mentioned Tallegio, can't get that out of my mind. But, I've never seen it in our little burg gotta make those sandwiches)

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner - Sunday 7/12/09?? by cjs (I have no idea - wil...)
It's Spinach and Three-Cheese Manicotti from the Cuisine for Two. Paired up with homemade meatballs and roasted garlic on Italian bread and Caesar salad.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Sunday 7/12?? by BarbaraS (It's Spinach and Thr...)
Tamarind-Glazed Turkey Burgers
Bon Appétit - July 2006 - Katy Sparks
Yield: Makes 8

Ingredients:
Glaze:
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 1/2 cup tamarind concentrate*
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Burgers
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 red jalapeño chile with seeds, minced
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • 2 1/2 pounds ground natural turkey
Serving:
  • 8 4-inch-diameter rolls (such as potato or kaiser), split horizontally
  • 8 large thin red onion slices
  • 8 large 1/3-inch-thick tomato slices
  • 8 lettuce leaves
Instructions:
For glaze:
  1. Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
  2. Add ginger and sauté 2 minutes.
  3. Add tamarind concentrate, honey, and water and bring to boil.
  4. Reduce heat; simmer until thick enough to coat spoon and reduced to 1 1/4 cups, stirring often, about 8 minutes.
  5. Cool completely (volume will reduce as glaze cools).
  6. Mix in lime juice.
  7. Do ahead: Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.
For burgers:
  1. Stir mayonnaise, ginger, salt, jalapeño, black pepper, and 4 teaspoons glaze in large bowl to blend.
  2. Mix in green onions.
  3. Add ground turkey and blend gently (do not pack tightly).
  4. Shape mixture into eight 1/2-inch-thick patties and arrange them on a small baking sheet.
  5. Do ahead: Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
  6. Prepare barbecue (medium heat).
  7. Grill rolls, cut side down, until golden, about 2 minutes; transfer to work surface.
  8. Grill burgers until cooked through and thermometer inserted into center registers 160°F, about 8 minutes per side.
  9. Brush each burger with glaze.
  10. Place 1 burger, glazed side down, on each roll bottom.
  11. Brush each burger with more glaze.
  12. Top each with onion, tomato, lettuce, and roll top.
  13. Serve, passing remaining glaze separately.

*Sometimes labeled tamarind paste, tamarind concentrate is a dark, seedless paste with a tart-sweet flavor. It's available at Middle Eastern and Indian markets, and at some Asian markets.

Test-kitchen tip:
Combine and shape the turkey mixture gently to ensure juicy, tender burgers. Meat that is overworked becomes too compact and results in dry burgers.

----------
Since I can't get ground turkey here, I'll be using ground chicken. Also making just half of this recipe.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Sunday 7/12?? by labradors ([b]Tamarind-Glazed T...)
We put a beef brisket in the smoker this morning. The kids are all coming over later for a bocce ball tournament, so we'll slice it down for sandwiches, along with some roasted corn and potato salad.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Sunday 7/12?? by Mare749 (We put a beef briske...)
Labs, I'm copying that one. I like the sounds of it, and will be able to hit the Asian market this coming week...OS has to go take care of some college business.

We were looking at the half pigs at the grocery store, but the Boston Butts were right beside them. William has such a weakness for those things! So BBQ sammies with slaw and fries on the side. (He also has a weakness for Jean's Pineapple Crisp. A fresh pineapple magically appeared in my buggy at the checkout...LOL!)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Sunday 7/12?? by Gourmet_Mom (Labs, I'm copying th...)
I still need to try the Pineapple Crisp, especially since it's possible to get fresh pineapples for $1.05-$1.35 here. Just been making too many other things, so far, or busy with other tasks (e.g. removing viruses from people's computers - one of which had 2275 infected files ).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Sunday 7/12?? by labradors (I still need to try ...)
"one of which had 2275 infected files" ohhhh, it hurts to read that!!

Hope you get to try it one day, labs, it is tasty.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Sunday 7/12?? by Gourmet_Mom (Labs, I'm copying th...)
We're doing a lamb shoulder roast on the grill, with sweet potato quesadillas (from the new LCBO mag., some fresh grilled corn, and grilled pineapple.

Fruity margaritas are on the menu too.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Sunday 7/12?? by cjs ("one of which had 22...)
Labs, Jean's Pineapple Crisp is about the best dessert we've had in a long time. Go ahead and make it, you'll eat the whole thing! I've made it with variations, but the original recipe seems to be the best.

Forgot to mention earlier, I made two batches of the Cream Cheese ice cream today using 1/3 less fat cream cheese and whole milk. It tasted pretty amazing right out of the ice cream machine. I put it in the freezer for a couple hours, so we'll see how it is later when the kids are here.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Sunday 7/12?? by Mare749 (Labs, Jean's Pineapp...)
"Labs, Jean's Pineapple Crisp is about the best dessert we've had in a long time. Go ahead and make it, you'll eat the whole thing!" Yep! William can! The scary part is, you probably have everything else in your pantry. That's my problem. As long as pineapples are pretty cheap, for us, and available at the local grocery, I'll probably be making this regularly.

"we'll see how it is later when the kids are here." You're going to be glad you made a double batch Maryanne! You MIGHT actually have a LITTLE bit left for the two of you after they leave! Are you putting anything on it? Or just serving it as is?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.