Fish Tacos
  Re: (...)
I think there are a couple C@H recipes for fish tacos - Does anyone who has made them think one is better?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Fish Tacos by esgunn (I think there are a ...)
I tried and reviewed the Fish Tacos from Cuisine Tonight page 69...not a good one.

Here's what Cis had to say about the one with the mango salsa: "OMG, we just had these from Issue 37. They were out of this world good!!! The mango salsa was so exciting, the flavors were excellent. The tilapia comes out perfect when you follow the oven fry method they give. My only little complaint is that the creamy chipolte sauce was HOT, but that's just me. Chipoltes are the one Mex food I don't enjoy, heat without flavor I think. BUT James loved it!!
9 YUMS"

I had planned on trying that one, but didn't get around to it. In my review thread, Jean posted her recipe, so that's the next one I tried. I guess I should get around to the mango one...Cis sure did like it!

Hope this helps you decide.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos by Gourmet_Mom (I tried and reviewed...)
Our favorite comes from Cuisine Vol 62, pg 15--we play around with the coleslaw though. Let me know if you don't have it and I'll post if you are interested. The one in vol 37 was very good too. You will be happy with either.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos by Old Bay (Our favorite comes f...)
Quote:

Our favorite comes from Cuisine Vol 62, pg 15--we play around with the coleslaw though.

We had this one with company over and it was really good. We really loved the slaw too. Excellent recipe.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Haven't tried #62, but it looks good. Love fish tacos.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos by cjs (Haven't tried #62, b...)
I love fish taco's but recently been making fish sandwiches. I oven fry my fish and then make a dill slaw to go on top. Scrump

Dill Slaw -

1 small head cabbage shredded
1/2 cup mayo
5 dill pickle spears finely diced
2 tbl of pickle juice

Mix it all together and put it on top of the fish for a wonderful tang and crunch
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos by DFen911 (I love fish taco's b...)
Fish tacos are a great go-to meal in the summer for us because they are so quick to put together. My favorite, recipe-less, is grilled tilapia, chopped green onion, salsa verde (not the chili-based green sauce but the tomatillo-based), chopped tomato, cilantro, corn tortillas

A favorite that requires a bit more preparation is from Food & Wine and it is delicious. I used about 1/3 cup of the aforementioned salsa verde to sub for the tomatillos

Dry-Rubbed Salmon Tacos with Tomatillo-Avocado Slaw

• FAST
• HEALTHY
• STAFF FAVORITE
TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
SERVES: 4

For maximum flavor in minimal time, Smith opts for spice rubs over marinades. After experimenting with spice blends for heartier fish, he discovered that a big pinch of ground coffee lends earthiness to the rub.

Ingredients
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon brown sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon finely ground coffee
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• Two 8-ounce skinless, center-cut salmon fillets
• Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
• 2 tomatillos, husked and quartered
• 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
• 1 small jalapeno, seeded and quartered
• 1 garlic clove
• 6 tablespoons sour cream
• 1 ripe Hass avocado—halved, peeled and pitted
• 4 cups finely shredded red and green cabbages (12 ounces)
• 8 corn tortillas
• Hot sauce and lime wedges, for serving

Directions

1. In a small bowl, stir the cumin with the chili powder, brown sugar and coffee. Season generously with salt and pepper. Brush the salmon fillets with olive oil and dredge them in the spice mixture.

2. Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, puree the tomatillos with the cilantro, jalapeno and garlic until smooth. Add the sour cream and process until smooth, then add the avocado and pulse until creamy. Transfer the dressing to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the cabbage and toss to coat.

3. Preheat the oven to 300F. Preheat a grill pan. Lightly brush each tortilla with olive oil. Stack the tortillas and wrap them in foil. Bake for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, brush the grill pan with olive oil and grill the salmon fillets over high heat, turning once, until nearly cooked through, 8 to 9 minutes. Transfer the salmon to a plate and flake with a fork.

4. Fill the tortillas with the salmon. Top with the cabbage slaw and serve right away with the hot sauce and lime wedges.

Recipe by Jeff Smith
From Best Weeknight Recipes from a Star Vintner-Cook
This recipe originally appeared in April, 2007.

NOTE:
I did not heat my oven to soften tortillas, instead I softened them in a skillet on the stovetop (if pan-frying the fillets) or wrapped in foil on the grill (if grilling the salmon, which I prefer)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos by foodfiend (Fish tacos are a gre...)
Okay.

This thread comes up at just the right time: I just tried the Margarita jelly on the róbalo, and I still have some of the fish left.

That has me wondering how I could combine the ideas, so I searched for past threads about fish tacos.

One that sounded interesting was a coating that Jean posted two years ago. It sounds good, and I do happen to have some Parmesan left from the lasagna I made, as well as the crumbs I have saved from a couple of boxes of corn flakes, but I think all of that may overpower the taste of the jelly.

Another was the recipe that Jean suggested when Daphne gave the one from Cuisine Tonight a negative review (as she just mentioned above). That sounds great, but I'm not sure a beer batter would work out well, since I'm trying to use the Margarita jelly.

Then, there was a thread ,from 2007, where Vicci posted some interesting recipes.

Finally, there was the Cinco de Mayo thread that Roxanne posted three years ago (and others have mentioned) - the one with the mango-avocado salsa.

Each of those has some great ideas, but I'm still considering just HOW I"ll use the Margarita jelly for this. As I see it, there are three things I could do (or a combination, thereof):
  1. Melt some of the jelly, and use it to marinate the fish;
  2. Melt some of the jelly, and use it as the liquid for the batter (i.e. instead of beer); or,
  3. Cook the fish without a coating, or with a coating that won't overwhelm the jelly, then put the jelly onto the fish tacos at serving time - either as part of a salsa, or plain (i.e. as its own "salsa").

Given all the above considerations, and since you all have made fish tacos before, do any of you have any suggestions what would be the best way to make use of the Margarita jelly for fish tacos?

Thanks!

P.S.: Of the above recipe links, were I not looking to use the Margarita jelly, Vicci's Fish Tacos with Cilantro Slaw would probably be my first choice.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos by labradors (Okay.[br][br]This th...)
I think I would brush with melted jelly, dust w/flour, then egg and coating of choice.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos by cjs (I think I would brus...)
Labs, I forgot all about the fish tacos with cilantro slaw. The problem here with that recipe is that I have to make 2 slaws-- one with plenty of cilantro (for me) and one with just a tiny bit (for DH; he would prefer none but I'm trying to get him accustomed to the taste). But, as I recall, the fish tacos are certainly worth the extra effort.

Thanks for the reminder!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com