Santa Rosa Plums
  Re: (...)
This was my plum tree last week. This week all of the plums are red, but not all of them are ripe. I picked about a gallon of them today.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v499/b.../?newest=1
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Santa Rosa Plums by bjcotton (This was my plum tre...)
They look wonderful!! We'll be buying some this next week.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Santa Rosa Plums by cjs (They look wonderful!...)
You are so lucky! We planted peach and plum trees 20 years ago and they all slowly died from diseases. So depressing... do you spray your trees, or are they naturally pest-and-disease free in the Northwest?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Santa Rosa Plums by foodfiend (You are so lucky! W...)
We have a company come out and spray them for leaf curl and bugs. They are coming on too fast though, so I just wash them, pit them and then throw them in the freezer. In years past there was always Fredia to help me and one of my nieces.

Billy
  Re: Re: Santa Rosa Plums by bjcotton (We have a company co...)
Oh, what I would give for a good santa rosa plum! Used to eat them all the time growing up in Chicago, but over the years they have become harder and harder to find...when I ask at the grocers or produce market about them, I get looks like I have 3 heads.
  Re: Re: Santa Rosa Plums by craftyc (Oh, what I would giv...)
Welcome craftyc! We haven't had any active new members lately. I hope you'll join in the discussions and become a regular.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Santa Rosa Plums by Gourmet_Mom (Welcome craftyc! We...)
welcome to the neighborhood!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Santa Rosa Plums by cjs (welcome to the neigh...)
I planted that tree a few years ago. For 2 years it only carried 1 or 2 plums. Year 3 it had so many we had to prop up the limbs. A couple of years now it's only had 1 or 2 that escaped the frost. This year is another wowzer. I've got about 5 gallons it clean, cut in half and freeze for juice. I don't know where you live but I got some advice from growers that if you have a frost, go out before the sun strikes your tree and spray the blossoms with water from the hose. The water will melt the frost and the sun won't destroy them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Santa Rosa Plums by bjcotton (I planted that tree ...)
Billy, I heard from a friend that plums are bi-annual. Is that right? Only produce every other year?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Santa Rosa Plums by esgunn (Billy, I heard from...)
Erin,

Biannual is twice a year. Do plums really do that? If so, at what seasons?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.