Figs! :)
  Re: (...)
I am so excited!! I found a new grocery store called Gerrards. They are a very small store but my heavens they have every vinegar you could want. Picked up some great champagne vinegar. I turned around and saw the fresh figs. Yep I about fainted. Right there on the spot I planned out dinner.

Tomato Basil Soup
Rosemary Foccica Bread
Maytag Bleu Cheese and Pear Salad with spring greens

And baked Figs in Marsala with Honey and Whipped Cream for dessert.

I am in heaven right now!!
  Re: Figs! :) by DFen911 (I am so excited!! I ...)
OOooo, that does sound nice, Denise. I have not seen fresh figs here, ever. But, if that means they're in season now, maybe one of the bigger stores might have some. I'll have to look.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Figs! :) by farnfam (OOooo, that does sou...)
Oh, I'm so envious, Denise! Did you get enough for -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Open-faced manchego cheese and fig sandwich

1/4 cup sweet white wine such as Muscat de Beaumes-de-Venise
6 black mission figs -- cut in half
4 Tbsps. olive oil -- divided
6 cups sliced onions -- 1/4 -inch thick
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
4 slices organic multi-grain bread -- toasted
3 ounces shaved manchego cheese
Fleur de sel

1. In a small saucepan, heat the Muscat to warm and pour it over the fig halves in a bowl. Let the figs stand 30 minutes to marinate.

2. In a large heavy skillet over medium heat, add 2 Tbsps. of the olive oil. Add the sliced onions, then stir in sugar, thyme, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover and slowly cook until the onions are golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep the onions warm.

3. Brush both sides of the bread slices with 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil. Grill until lightly toasted, about 1 to 2 minutes, then turn and toast 1 to 2 minutes on the other side. Keep warm.

4. Drain the figs and place them on a paper towel. Brush the cut side of the figs with the remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil and put the figs cut-side down on a heated grill pan; cook 2 to 3 minutes until lightly browned. Turn the figs and grill another 2 to 3 minutes until the figs are tender yet retain their shape.

5. Divide the warm caramelized onions onto toasted bread slices on a baking sheet. Top with shavings of manchego. Put the sandwiches under the broiler just until the cheese begins to melt, 1 to 2 minutes. Top each sandwich with three fig halves and a sprinkle of fleur de sel on each fig. Serve immediately.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

or, maybe this little jewel of an appy?

* Exported from MasterCook *

OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD PIZZA with GOAT CHEESE & FIG TAPENADE

a Chef's Journey
2/3 cup dried figs, -- chopped, (~4 oz.)
3 Tablespoons water
3 Tablespoons kalamata olives -- chopped, pitted
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, -- chopped
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 whole-wheat English muffins, -- split
1 cup soft goat cheese, -- crumbled (4 oz.)
Thyme sprigs (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine figs & water in a small saucepan over med. heat. Cook 5 min., till liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently.
Place figs in a small bowl.

Stir in olives, vinegar, oil, chopped thyme, and pepper.
Top each muffin half with 2 T. cheese & 2 T. fig mixture.
Place muffin halves on a foil-lined baking sheet.

Bake at 375 for 15 min., or till cheese melts.
Cut each muffin half in half.
Garnish with Thyme sprigs, if desired.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : It can be made several days in advance & refrigerated.
On the day of the party, assemble the pizzas up to one hour in advance, cover & leave at room temp. till ready to bake.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Figs! :) by cjs (Oh, I'm so envious, ...)
I've never eaten fresh figs.
That fig and manchego sandwich sounds heavenly, so I'm going to buy fresh figs and try it.

BTW, when is fresh fig season?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Figs! :) by foodfiend (I've never eaten fre...)
As far as I know, Vicci, right now is fig season.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Figs! :) by cjs (As far as I know, Vi...)
Jean those look fantastic! Thanks for sharing cause if I don't have enough now then a short drive will provide more
  Re: Re: Figs! :) by DFen911 (Jean those look fant...)
You know, I have never had fresh figs...I think it has to do with a loathing of Fig Newton's as a kid....a texture thing. Maybe if I tried them with some cheese I'll like them. William loves them, so if I find I still don't like them, I'm sure he'll be glad to eat mine.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Figs! :) by Gourmet_Mom (You know, I have nev...)
fresh figs don't make you feel as tho you're eating spiders...as I was told as a kid.
www.achefsjourney.com