What kind of can opener do you have?
  Re: (...)
I need a new one and I'm sooo tired of these cheapy products on the market! We have gone through at least 3 can openers in the last 5 years, and I don't even use that many canned products. Does anyone have a "good" can opener that will open cans even when the rims are a little bent? We even got one that cuts the sides so that the top just lifts off and that only lasted a year.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: What kind of can opener do you have? by Mare749 (I need a new one and...)
Mine is a manual opener - and it is an OXO - probably had it fot at least 2 years - maybe 3. I use it almost every day or at least several times a week. But it does not work the way it used to, so is proabably almost time to replace.

I don't think they are made to last very long. And they get so grody and I don't think there is anyway to sharpen the blade is there?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: What kind of can opener do you have? by esgunn (Mine is a manual ope...)

I have a manual opener also - probably the same as Erin's

always come back to it. We have had several Electric ones but the manual

always works.

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: What kind of can opener do you have? by mjkcooking ([br]I have a manual ...)
Mine is manual and his name is Derek

It's actually by Oxo. Hehehe
  Re: Re: What kind of can opener do you have? by DFen911 (Mine is manual and h...)
Can't stand the grip on the OXOs. The only hand-held, manual can opener I ever liked (and still have) was the Swing-A-Way:

[Image: 407lg.jpg]

Once I worked in the restaurant and the catering place, though, I had to get an Edlund #2

[Image: edlund12.jpg]

Found a used one cheap on eBay, and love it!

(Obviously, the proportions of the photos I found on the web are just a LITTLE different. LOL!)
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What kind of can opener do you have? by labradors (Can't stand the grip...)
You must have gotten it for a great price, Labs. The Edlund I saw on Ebay was very pricey.

When I was growing up, the only can opener my mom had was screwed into the wall in her kitchen. It always worked great for any size can. Sure wish they made them now.

I went to a couple of stores last week to look at electric models and every one of them was cheaply made. So, guess I'll have to be getting a hand-held model.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What kind of can opener do you have? by Mare749 (You must have gotten...)
Quote:

You must have gotten it for a great price, Labs. The Edlund I saw on Ebay was very pricey.

The #2 is slightly smaller than the #1, and is usually about $80. I got it for $54, shipping included.

Quote:

I went to a couple of stores last week to look at electric models and every one of them was cheaply made. So, guess I'll have to be getting a hand-held model.

My experience with the electrics (and my observation of other people's experiences) is that, except for professional models, they work great at first, but don't last very well. Also, with most of them, it's very difficult to open larger cans.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What kind of can opener do you have? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh Labs, I'm with you-after using those, I'd love to have one also!!

I love mine, it's electric, hand held and it's the one that takes the sharp rim off the cans also. (I'm almost afraid to say how long its been working for fear of jinking it!!!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What kind of can opener do you have? by cjs (Oh Labs, I'm with yo...)
Jean, I've tried two or three brands of those, and they always broke down. But then that was when the kids were younger and more gremlin-like. When my cheapo one breaks down...going on 5 years now...I may give them another shot.

I ALWAYS keep a hand held available, though. Having canned, this and that, during hurricane season is pretty useless if you only have an electric. We have a generator, but it's a lot easier to use the hand held.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What kind of can opener do you have? by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, I've tried two...)
Oh yeah, in the bottom of drawers of every living space I have old fashioned hand things. (besides they're great beer openers... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com