Blueberry Pie?
  Re: (...)
My blueberries are coming in fast and furious. I love a good blueberry pie, but I am really picky about the consistency and have never made one that I am satisfied with. I don't want it runny and I don't want it so thick that a fork will stand up in it. Can anybody help me?

Somebody once suggested that I cook the blueberries first with the thickening, then cool, to make sure that I have it just the way I want it. I've never tried this, it would seem to me that the cooking would break down the berries and I would end up with more mush than solid berries.

I figure with all these fab cooks out there, somebody has a recipe tucked away someplace that they make year after year. Willing to share?
  Re: Blueberry Pie? by iBcookin (My blueberries are c...)
To me, the pies are just TOO much blueberry. That's why I stick with the Blueberry Cottage Pudding. I would imagine someone here must have an appropriate pie recipe, though. Maybe it could also be the amount of time you cook the filling/thickening for the recipe(s) you already do have. Good luck.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Blueberry Pie? by labradors (To me, the pies are ...)
Here's the one I do at the shop....very popular.

6 cups of fresh blueberries
1/4 cup of maple syrup
2 tbsp of granulated sugar
2 tbsp of cornstarch
Zest of one lemon
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of cinnamon

Toss together and put in pie shell. Top with top crust. Bake and enjoy!
  Re: Re: Blueberry Pie? by Chefelle (Here's the one I do ...)
Nice sounding combination, Debbie - love blueberry pie.

thanks both of you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Blueberry Pie? by cjs (Nice sounding combin...)
We love blueberry pie, too. I've always made the one in my Betty Crocker cookbook that I got in 1978. For a 9" crust:

1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup AP flour
1/2 teasp cinnamon
4 cups fresh blueberries
1 T lemon juice
2 T butter or margarine

Combine dry ingredients and toss with blueberries. Put in crust and then sprinkle with lemon juice and butter. Cover with top crust. Bake at 425 for 35-45 minutes.

But, I am curious about the maple syrup flavor with Debbie's version. Need to give that one a try!
  Re: Re: Blueberry Pie? by HomeCulinarian (We love blueberry pi...)
I was really happy with the filling in the Mixed Berry Slump found in the latest magazine. I made it with blueberries instead of the blackberries and raspberries. I had intended to make this more like a pie, but have not yet. I think the addition of the lemon juice and brandy in the filling is one thing that makes this awesome. The other thing is the lemon zest in the crust.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Blueberry Pie? by Gourmet_Mom (I was really happy w...)
Thanks, Debbie, hard to believe, I have all the ingredients. I never seem to fail finding something that appeals to me and end up missing one of the ingredients. But I am good on this one - it is a little cool here today so it looks like I will be womping up a pie this afternoon.

I looked at the slump, but I am not sure how I feel about the dumplings on top, plus I don't have the brandy (which seems to be the kicker for Daphne!). I wonder if you could sub amaretto for the brandy?

I am considering subbing the blueberries for the cherries in the buckle recipe. But of course, I have no amaretti cookies and would have to be creative with the crumb topping. But I think it would work with the blueberries.

I'll have to check out the cottage pudding.
  Re: Re: Blueberry Pie? by iBcookin (Thanks, Debbie, hard...)
I'm not a big Amaretto fan, so I wouldn't be one to ask...Grand Mariner(that doesn't look right?), yes! Something to compliment the citrus!

BTW, I didn't care for the dumpling aspect either...thus looking at the boiled cobbler topping idea and/or just plain pie crust with lemon zest "rolled" in.
  Re: Blueberry Pie? by iBcookin (My blueberries are c...)
iB,

When I first made this blueberry pie and brought it over to my folks' house, my sister accused me of not using "real" ingredients. She swore I used canned filling and "spruced" it up!

It has been a fave of my family's for years and it's pretty easy to make.

Wisconsin Double Good (from the Philadelphia Inquirer, God knows when):

One baked pie shell

3/4 C sugar (less if preferred - only to sweeten if berries are not in season)

3 TBS cornstarch

1/8 tsp salt

1/4 C water

1 TBS buttah

1 Tbs lemon juice

Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Add water and 2 C blueberries. At medium heat, stir constantly until mix boils, thickens, and looks glossy. Remove from heat and stir in buttah and lemon juice. Cool.

When cool, stir in the remaining 2 C of blueberries.

Pour into pie crust and chill.

NOTES: I added 1 C of berries to each blueberry step because I thought it needed more and I have a deep pie plate. And sometimes I add a criss-crossed pie crust on top and brush with more buttah and broil for as long as it takes to brown it a bit.

Barbara

Enjoy!!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Blueberry Pie? by BarbaraS (iB,[br][br]When I fi...)
That sounds really good, too! This thread is coaxing me to make a blueberry pie soon.