Butternut Squash?
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash? by Mare749 (I would LOVE to take...)
Considering the numbers out in the garden, they'll still be here when you get here...LOL! I'll take a picture when I go out to the garden, it's insane!
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash? by Gourmet_Mom (Considering the numb...)
Since editing to add didn't bring this up for another look, I added it as a separate post.

Okay...got back from the farm a bit ago and counted up...I exaggerated. There's only SEVENTY so far.....OY! I brought 3 back today, but will have about 20 to process in the next few days.

Another thing, since Erin's book says to boil for 2 minutes, I'm thinking roasting half way or less and freezing would be the way to go. That way they wouldn't turn to mush. I'm also rethinking the roasting with onions...not sure?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash? by Gourmet_Mom (Since editing to add...)
I have kept butternut squash for a couple of months. Accidentally the first time. Since then I buy them when they're cheap and just put with the wine on the carpeting behind the door until it cools off in the garage, then move them there.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash? by bjcotton (I have kept butternu...)
"Then leave them in the field for two weeks after picking" - now, this sounds interesting. Like you, Daphne, I would never have thought of leaving them like this. hmmmmmm. I'll give this a try with what I have planted this year.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash? by cjs ("Then leave them in ...)
This fits with what Mom told me last year about the potatoes. We screwed up and pulled potatoes as we wanted them. They were small and tender and yummy, but we didn't have any to stockpile. When I mentioned it to her, she reminded me about how Granddaddy used to do it....wait for the plant to turn brown, pull them, then let them cure in the field for a few weeks.

I left a "tester" in the field yesterday...we'll see!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash? by Gourmet_Mom (This fits with what ...)
Well, here's a WELL DUH!! I used to do that with tatoes also.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com