Hard-Cooked Egg Tip
  Re: (...)
We all know that older eggs are easier to peel than fresh eggs after they are hard-cooked. My BIL heard on a radio program that if you put 1 Tbsp of oil in the bottom of the pan, roll the eggs around in it then add the water and bring to a boil, the fresh eggs are easier to peel. To humor him (since all I had were fresh eggs) I tried it. It worked. None of the peeling the shell a tiny bit by bit. They peeled almost as easily as older eggs. Give it a try. We also know that egg shells are pores, it seems the oil soaks through the shell and hence the easier peeling.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Hard-Cooked Egg Tip by bjcotton (We all know that old...)
HMMM...Billy dear, I think you mean porous? And why didn't I see this about 15 minutes ago! William just finished boiling some of our eggs! Oh well, I'll give it a try next time...all we've got around here now are fresh! Thanks Billy!!!

A couple of side notes on chickens:

Our neighbor came over the other day and told William how to tell if a hen was too old to lay. We were afraid that since the RI Reds hadn't set yet, we got "taken". But seems they're just still getting used to the place.

Sampson, on the other hand, has turned into a pill! William has had to take to carrying a large stick when he puts out scratch feed. The little bas...um bugger is determined to tear into him! He's even run Elvis to the other side of the ditch...poor fellow! Luckily, Homer, the aforementioned neighbor, has offered to take Sampson off our hands if it comes to that or killing him.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Hard-Cooked Egg Tip by Gourmet_Mom (HMMM...Billy dear, I...)
Thanks for the tip, Billy. Might have to try that one, as this has been a problem for me in the past. However, I'm finding that if I peel the eggs just after they have cooled in water, they peel easily enough. It's after they have been in the frig for a day or two, that they are hard to peel.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Hard-Cooked Egg Tip by Mare749 (Thanks for the tip, ...)
The reason older eggs are easier is because they have more air in the shell.

I have had new eggs and old eggs stick so bad. I dread peeling eggs. So whenever I want to make deviled eggs and I know I need a certain amount I always add like 4 eggs just in case.
  Re: Re: Hard-Cooked Egg Tip by DFen911 (The reason older egg...)
Yes I knew how to spell it, but I just couldn't think, spell checker will take either word so it was no nelp.

Yeah, I wished I'd known about it too. I've never had any kind of luck peeling fresh eggs easy, so this helped me

Billy
Wow Billy, thanks for the tip! I remember helping my Mom in making deviled eggs and she was upset that I couldn't "peel" them without making a mess. But there was nothing I do! The shell just stuck to the eggs!

Oil and the pourous shell makes sense.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Hard-Cooked Egg Tip by Gourmet_Mom (HMMM...Billy dear, I...)
Quote:

HMMM...Billy dear, I think you mean porous? And why didn't I see this about 15 minutes ago! William just finished boiling some of our eggs! Oh well, I'll give it a try next time...all we've got around here now are fresh! Thanks Billy!!!

A couple of side notes on chickens:

Our neighbor came over the other day and told William how to tell if a hen was too old to lay. We were afraid that since the RI Reds hadn't set yet, we got "taken". But seems they're just still getting used to the place.

Sampson, on the other hand, has turned into a pill! William has had to take to carrying a large stick when he puts out scratch feed. The little bas...um bugger is determined to tear into him! He's even run Elvis to the other side of the ditch...poor fellow! Luckily, Homer, the aforementioned neighbor, has offered to take Sampson off our hands if it comes to that or killing him.

Coq au vin?? Renegade roosters created that dish!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Just had to comment. Since I had 18 eggs to peel, I thought I would give this a try. My eggs were not fresh - older, but I have had older eggs stick bad too.

Worked like a charm. Every one of them could have become a devild egg!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
I will have to give this a try. I happen to have an abundance of eggs this week. Very fresh too. They were on sale so I thought I would make egg salad when they became older. I think I will give this a try then make some good, old-fashioned deviled eggs.

This site always inspires me to make things. Good day Billy!
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: Hard-Cooked Egg Tip by iCook (I will have to give ...)
Hiya Karen! How you be? I was glad to find out about this too. Whenever I decided to make something I'd only have fresh eggs, so wouldn't make whatever. Now I can do it whenever.

Billy