Growing Peppers
  Re: (...)
Ok, My turn. I looked it up in my book, but wasn't happy with the info. I grow bell peppers, jalapenos and this year a sweet italian pepper. The itialian is supposed to be red. I usually just pick the bell peppers green and use them, they never seem to turn colors on the vine. One year I had so many and the garden was about done. I picked them all green and left them on tray for a couple of days and they started to turn red! Is this the way it is supposed to work? are they supposed to turn colors on the vine? I've never had them turn on the vine. Although this year may be hot enough for them to mature. I am really wondering about the italian. I have several on a small plant that are about 4 inches and green. Should I pick or let ripen on the vine?

Sorry so rambling.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Growing Peppers by esgunn (Ok, My turn. I look...)
Erin, I wish I could help, but have had the same problem. This year, "the employee" SUPPOSEDLY planted red, yellow, and orange. (He did last year also, but none ever turned.) This year, we've been more successful. The yellow and orange are turning on the vine. As for the red, none that are the regular bell pepper shape are turning red, even though he said he planted them.

However, we DO have a pepper that is large, long and dark green...kinda like a banana pepper, but very dark green. We experimented with leaving them on the vine, and they started to turn red! I don't know if this is what you're calling an Italian, but I thought I'd throw it out there. As for the name of this variety, I haven't a clue..."the employee" is not the brightest bulb in the pack, so he didn't mark them...DOY!

As for "curing" off the vine, I'm experimenting with that now. As soon as the "dark green" ones started turning, I picked a few and they're "curing" now. It seems to be working, and less chance of loosing them by leaving them too long. (I don't get out to the farm EVERY day, so this has become a problem with peppers AND tomatoes. You would think the man who goes out EVERY day would help, or at least say..."It's time to come out and pick again." BUT NOOOOO!)

Sorry, I seem to have rambled there, too...LOL!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Growing Peppers by Gourmet_Mom (Erin, I wish I could...)
Thanks Daphne. I know I am not alone. Yes, that is what my italian peppers look like.

My book said to use them green or leave on the vine till they change from red, orange or yellow their sweetest. But that you have to watch close or they spoil fast. I have had them spoil on the vine at the green stage. I think I will pick one of my italian and see what happens. We have had such great warm and even hot weather, I am going to get some tomatoes before fall!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Growing Peppers by esgunn (Thanks Daphne. I k...)
I know, it helps sometimes to have somebody in the same boat...LOL!

I just went to SEE what your pepper looked like:

Italian Peppers

And yes, this looks EXACTLY like mine. So I guess I now know what I've got. And yes, the ones I picked the other day that were half green are now red!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Growing Peppers by Gourmet_Mom (I know, it helps som...)
I leave bells on the vine to color. Can't remember what I did a few times with jalapenos....shoot.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Growing Peppers by cjs (I leave bells on the...)
Jean, I'm having that problem with my jalapenos again this summer...crackly skin. Not split, just lines in the skin. They taste fine, though. And I continue to be amazed at how prolific a couple bushes of cayenne peppers can be!

My problem with the Italians is that if I leave the lower growing ones on too long, they're long enough they'll touch the ground and the tip will goo bad.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Growing Peppers by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, I'm having tha...)
I've planted bells for several years and they will turn color on the bush. You just have to leave them long enough.

The jalapenos...I had a plant like that before and nobody knew why...so I just used them and they were fine...turned color too!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Growing Peppers by bjcotton (I've planted bells f...)
"just lines in the skin." - I've had that also and like Billy, I didn't worry about it.

I'm really not trying to be a smart a$$, but with the long Italian peppers, why not just pick the lower ones that are growing too long?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Growing Peppers by cjs ("just lines in the s...)
"why not just pick the lower ones that are growing too long?"

Oh, I am. That's why I've got a few "curing" on the counter and a bunch of red ones in the freezer.
Daphne