Review; Five-Spiced Glazed Chicken
  Re: (...)
From the newest Grilling book

Made this last night for dinner - made a couple of substitutions off the bat, normally don't do this, but in one instance I didn't have the called for ingred. and in the other, well, salsa just is not salsa to me without cilantro.

The glaze calls for plum jam which I didn't have, so used plum sauce plus 1 tsp. granulated sugar. I think it probably made it a little more savory glaze and we really liked it. This is a tasty dish.

Have two pieces leftover, so I'm thawing out pizza dough and using the glaze, chicken and salsa to make a pizza for dinner tonight. Probably add a little mozz and gruyere cheese to it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Review; Five-Spiced Glazed Chicken by cjs (From the newest Gril...)
Quote:

plum jam

I don't have any either, but I made Chef Dave's Jalapeno Plum sauce that might work. If I had the recipe.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Review; Five-Spiced Glazed Chicken by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
"If I had the recipe. "

ROFLOL! I got this instant picture of you sitting there begging like a puppy with a ball at your feet!

BTW, Lorraine...YS may be heading your way in a few weeks. Our neighbors were down with friends and he met a girl. He wants to go up and visit for his birthday....ahhhh, young love, summer love! If it happens she goes to college where you're at, is there anything you want from down here. I've got a boat load of butternut squash....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review; Five-Spiced Glazed Chicken by Gourmet_Mom ("If I had the recipe...)
I'll post it in the a.m. Lorraine - I'm tuckered out right now and have a glass a wine......etc.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review; Five-Spiced Glazed Chicken by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

plum jam

but I made Chef Dave's Jalapeno Plum sauce that might work. If I had the recipe.

[/blockquote]

Is this recipe posted somewhere???? I have lots of cherry plum "stuff" in the freezer and the jalapenos are coming on like mad.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Review; Five-Spiced Glazed Chicken by Harborwitch ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Here's the recipe -

Five-Spice Glazed Chicken

Sweet & spicy Chinese flavors are delightfully combined in this glaze. It also complements other meats, like pork chops or spareribs.

Glaze:
1/4 cup plum jam (I used plum sauce + 1 tsp. granulated sugar)
2 T. light brown sugar
2 T. rice vinegar
1 T. low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp. chili garlic sauce
1 tsp. five-spice powder
Kosher salt to taste

Chicken:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (5-6 oz. each)
2 T. sesame oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Shredded Savoy cabbage

Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Combine the glaze ingred. in a small saucepan over medium heat Bring glaze to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook glaze 2-3 min.; set aside.

Combine chicken breast, sesame oil, 1 tsp. salt and lime juice in a plastic bag. Seal and toss chicken to coat with marinade.

Grill chicken to internal temperature of 165°F. Dip chicken in glaze and return to grill over medium-low for 2 minutes. Flip chicken, dip in glaze and grill 2 minutes more. Remove chicken from grill and place on shredded cabbage.

Reheat remaining glaze to serve with chicken. Dollop each serving with Plum Salsa.

Plum salsa
If you’re fond of spicy-hot food, add a sliced jalapeno chile pepper to this recipe. The salsa also can be served as an appetizer dip for chips.

2 medium plums, diced
1/4 cup diced red onion
2 T. minced fresh basil
(I added 1 T. cilantro)
1 T. fresh lime juice

Combine plums, onion and basil in a bowl. Add lime juice; toss until all coated. Serve salsa immediately or make salsa up to one hour ahead and chill it in the frig.

-----
And here is the leftover 5-spice Chix pizza -it was really good.

[Image: 5-SpiceChixPlumSaucePizza.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review; Five-Spiced Glazed Chicken by cjs (Here's the recipe - ...)
Jean, that pizza looks fantastic!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Review; Five-Spiced Glazed Chicken by esgunn (Jean, that pizza lo...)
Speaking of pizza, THERE's another use for that Thai peanut sauce. When Orlando used to have a Schlotzky's, my favourite thing to get there was their Thai Chicken Pizza. To quote the menu from their website:
Quote:

Grilled chicken breast, mozzarella cheese, basil pesto, Thai peanut sauce, julienne carrots, cilantro and green onions on our seasoned Sourdough crust.

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Review; Five-Spiced Glazed Chicken by labradors (Speaking of pizza, T...)
You know, pizza was on my mind when I was looking at that peanut sauce, too! My brain jumped right to those Thai Chicken Wraps from a dinner review we did. But I would have never put it with the pesto....HMMMM?!?!?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review; Five-Spiced Glazed Chicken by cjs (Here's the recipe - ...)
Thanks, Jean. Here is Dave's recipe, and his notes on it:

Here is a sauce you could make. I won an outdoor grilling competition with it once. Got a nice set of Henckels for it!

JALAPENO PLUM SAUCE

Preparation Total 1:45

The perfectly unusual blend of fruit, pepper, curry and soy will keep your quests talking about this sauce forever. The perfect glaze for any white meat and a most delightful dipping sauce for springrolls

Ingredients:

2 1/2 tablespoons soybean oil
1/3 cup red onions, small dice
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
1 1/2 each jalapeno peppers, chopped ( seeds and ribs removed )
1 1/2 pounds purple plums, pitted and diced small
1/2 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 each orange, juiced
2 each lemons, juiced

In a heavy pot, cook red onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper in soybean oil until tender. Add the plums and stir in the curry powder and allspice. Once the spices are dispersed, add the honey, soy sauce, and the fruit juices.

Cook over medium low heat for 1 hour and 15 minutes uncovered, stirring often. The consistency should be like a chunky tomato sauce. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Bottle and chill the sauce. This sauce can be made ahead of time and it freezes well.
dnelson
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.