Review: Moselle's Cherry Chutney
  Re: (...)
Some of you might remember Mo (Moselle) from C2C. A couple of us met her in Denver for a Chef Scholarship dinner a few years ago also. Anyway, a few years ago she posted a recipe for cherry chutney. I had some cherries left yesterday so finally tried this one and it is SO tasty!!

CHERRY CHUTNEY
Moselle, C2C

I made the cherry chutney with the advised changes and it is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!
Here is what I did;

2 pounds cherries pitted (Billy, I feel your pain with all those cherries you just picked. I have a little $2 thing that pitted one cherry at a time )
1 cup really good red wine vinegar with a big splash of balsamic vinegar added
1 1/2 cups pure cane sugar
1 tsp Indian ground chili powder
½ tsp crushed red pepper
½ tsp ground black pepper
¼ tsp fresh grated ginger
One crushed garlic clove
Simmer everything for about an hour

Mo's notes:
The color is gorgeous.
The smell, and first taste is a bit reminiscent of the nose and tasting of a complex red wine; you smell the fruit and the acid. Then you sense a little bit of a "spice'. When you taste it, the flavors flow (there is a bit of heat that is nice) and one by one you can identify them.
My first thought was how good this would be with smoked turkey, or a roasted pork (with some of the crunchy stuff on the outside from the roast!) ….this is goooooood!!!

----

This really cooks down from the 2 lbs. (4 1/2-pint jars), so I think I'll get some more cherries just for this one!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Review: Moselle's Cherry Chutney by cjs (Some of you might re...)
Thanks, Jean. Cherries are still on sale here, and this one sounds great. Last week I did brandied cherries, and a cherry /jalapeno jam, but I think I'll buy more and make this one.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Review: Moselle's Cherry Chutney by Lorraine (Thanks, Jean. Cherr...)
They're still on sale here, also. I'll be trying this one also!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review: Moselle's Cherry Chutney by Lorraine (Thanks, Jean. Cherr...)
Thank you, Jean, for the recipe. Lorraine, would you have time to post your cherry recipes from above. They sound delicious and I would love to try making them. I'm not a canner but I think it's time to start.
Shannon