REVIEW: Curry& Coconut Chicken Kebabs
  Re: (...)
Made this the other day - recipe is from the latest grilling book, page 82.

I didn't actually make the kebabs but rather just made the chicken in the marinade, using boneless tenders. I also marinated it for about 3 hours versus 30 minutes. Loved it!!! The coconut couscous was very good as well. I got kind of burnt out on couscous but this one brought me back to liking it. The toasted almonds were really good in it so try not to skip that part. And I did use cilantro instead of mint because that's what I had. I served sauteed asparagus with it.

I'd give it a 9 out of 10 for flavor, and a 10 out of 10 for ease.
  Re: REVIEW: Curry& Coconut Chicken Kebabs by Trixxee (Made this the other ...)
Great Review! Thanks. Will try this, this week!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Curry& Coconut Chicken Kebabs by esgunn (Great Review! Thank...)
Been lookin' at this one also.... good to know, thanks Trixxee.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Curry& Coconut Chicken Kebabs by cjs (Been lookin' at this...)
Well, in only a few months my subscription to Cooking Light runs out, and I'm going to change to CAH instead. It's easy enough to lighten recipes, and CL hasn't been exciting me in a while. THIS recipe excites me! But don't, and I mean don't, go to the trouble of typing it up for me because it's probably a laundry-list full of ingredients. I'm going to wing it (and use shrimp) based on your description because I've been wondering what to have for dinner tonight. An experiment, and one with a purpose!!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Curry& Coconut Chicken Kebabs by foodfiend (Well, in only a few ...)
Vicci - this is part of why it gets a 10. Very few ingredients. The original recipe calls for alternating green grapes, red bell pepper and the chicken on skewers. I typed up an abbreviated version below for a friend of mine minus the grapes and peppers.

For chicken: Makes 4 servings

1 1/4 cup light coconut milk
3 Tbsp. curry powder
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 lb. bonless skinless chicken tenders (or breast)

Whisk together all ingredients. Add chicken and marinate for 30 minutes (I marinated the chicken for about 4 hours).

Grill on medium high heat.

Coconut Couscous

Makes 4 servings

1 cup water
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup dry couscous
1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
1/4 cup sliced fresh mint (I used cilantro)

Bring water, coconut milk & salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Stir in couscous. Cover saucepan and remove from heat. Let couscous sit, covered, until all liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.

Fluff couscous with a fork, stir in almonds and cilantro.
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Curry& Coconut Chicken Kebabs by Trixxee (Vicci - this is part...)
Thanks so much for posting the recipe, Trixxee! I'll make it tomorrow and hopefully have leftovers that DH can heat up while I am hanging out with my friends this weekend.

I did make my version tonight, with shrimp. I used coconut milk, garlic, lime juice and zest, brown sugar, and green curry paste. The couscous was made with the same ingredients as the recipe you posted, minus the almonds (they would have been good, but I forgot...). I used cilantro, too. It was delicious, and in addition for thanking you for typing the recipe, I thank you for the dinner idea!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Curry& Coconut Chicken Kebabs by foodfiend (Thanks so much for p...)
Trixxee, that sounds marvelous. I LOVE coconut milk, and shall try this soon.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Curry& Coconut Chicken Kebabs by labradors (Trixxee, that sounds...)
Thanks Trixxee, for both the review and for posting the recipe. That sounds like something we would like both with chicken and with shrimp as Vicci suggested.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Curry& Coconut Chicken Kebabs by Mare749 (Thanks Trixxee, for ...)
Oops - wanted to edit but can't for some reason! I did replace the water in the couscous with chicken broth. Not a biggie I'm sure but thought about this in the middle of the night while trying to figure out what to make tonight.
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Curry& Coconut Chicken Kebabs by Trixxee (Oops - wanted to edi...)
I'll probably use the chicken broth, too, but I'll probably keep to the original by using mint instead of cilantro. I LOVE cilantro, and almost always use more that a recipe specifies, but the mint sounds interesting in this.

Of course, I'll be using Marmahon, since I still haven't been able to get any couscous here.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?