Meatloaf - Three Ways - Review
  Re: (...)
I made three meatloaves for the retirement party yesterday and I must say, they were all very tasty.

Smoked BBQ

Found this recipe of about.com (the grilling/BBQ newsletter, I think)

* Exported from MasterCook *

SMOKED Barbecue Meatloaf

1 1/2 pound ground beef (80/20 chuck works best)
1 cup bread crumbs
1 onion -- finely chopped
1 can tomato sauce -- (15 ounce)
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Prepare smoker for a 3 hour smoke at a temperature between 250 and 275 degrees F.

Combine all ingredients gently. Try not to over mix so that the ground meats retain their texture.

Form the mixture into a loaf shape on a smoker safe pan or parchment paper. Place on heated smoker with a small amount of mild wood. Smoke the meatloaf until the internal temperature passed 165 degrees F. Remove the meatloaf from the grill when done, cover and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before carving and serving.

Description:
"Most of the meatloafs called barbecue are baked in the oven with ingredients simulating barbecue sauce. This meatloaf has all the ingredients for a basic barbecue sauce mixed in but goes on the smoker, not in the oven. 3 hours"

--------
While the flavor of the smoking was really good, the meatloaf was just too loose, I'll certainly do this again, but probably more like my old standby meatloaf recipe for texture.

Muffin (meatlaof) with Tomato Gravy - everyone really liked this one also - made a mess in the oven, but oh well. I won't post the recipe because it's been talked about a lot on the forum.

Glazed Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf, another recipe from about.com (Southern Food) - another good one. Flavor wise all three were very good, and most couldn't decide which they liked the best.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Glazed Bacon-Wrapped Meat Loaf

4 strips lean bacon
2 teaspoons brown sugar -- optional
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
1 medium onion -- finely chopped
1 red or orange bell pepper -- finely chopped
2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 large egg -- slightly beaten
1/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Cajun seasonings
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup evaporated milk or whole milk
1/2 cup barbecue sauce

Cut bacon strips in half crosswise and coat with the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. In a large skillet, cook the sugared bacon for about 2 minutes to render some of the excess fat. Or, cook on a paper plate in the microwave for about 1 minute.

Heat oven to 350°.

Line a baking pan with foil and lightly oil the foil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, pork, onion, bell pepper, bread crumbs, egg, cheese, Cajun seasonings, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, and milk. Put the mixture on the prepared foil-lined baking pan and shape into a loaf.

Spread barbecue sauce over the loaf and arrange the bacon strips over the top.

Bake until bacon is crispy and meat loaf is firm, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing or moving to a serving platter.

Serves 6.

Description:
"This delicious bacon-wrapped meatloaf is enhanced with grated natural Parmesan cheese, Cajun spices, and a tasty barbecue sauce glaze."

An extra recipe I found - the Glazed-Bacon one called for Cajun seasoning which I had none, so found this somewhere on the net. I'll post it in case someone else might need it someday.

Cajun Seasoning

4 tsps. each: salt & paprika
3 tsps. each: garlic powder & freshly ground pepper
2 1/2 tsps. onion powder
1 1/2 tsps. each: Cayenne, dried thyme, crumbled & dried oregano, crumbled

Combine and mix thoroughly. Can be stored in airtight container for up to a month.

The party was a success and Chris was really surprised - she found out there was a party/get together somewhere, but didn't know it was right across the street from her!!! Great fun.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Meatloaf - Three Ways - Review by cjs (I made three meatloa...)
Looks good Jean! The Glazed Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf sounds especially good! Thanks for the recipes!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Meatloaf - Three Ways - Review by Gourmet_Mom (Looks good Jean! Th...)
These recipes sound really good, Jean. We love meatloaf, so will be trying these for sure. Just had a thought...How do you think it would work to make individual patties like a hamburger, place on a screen and put into the smoker? Do you think they would dry out too much?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Meatloaf - Three Ways - Review by Mare749 (These recipes sound ...)
I don't know, Maryann, I wasn't impressed with the consistancy of the smoked recipe for the meatloaf. As moist as it was, maybe patties would be o.k. I am going to try it again in the next week or two with my regular meatloaf recipe.

Or at least change the recipe to 8 oz. of the tomato sauce instead of 15 oz. - the flavor was good, so this is a way to go, maybe.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Meatloaf - Three Ways - Review by cjs (I don't know, Maryan...)
Just had to come back on and "SHARE" with ya'all. If this was the first time this happened, it wouldn't be as funny, but this is the second time!

Roy was talking all week about the meatloaf sandwich (his favorite) he was going to have the morning after the party so, he made his sandwich and took a great big bite....
[Image: MeatloaflessSandwich.jpg]

He forgot the meatloaf!!!!! Oh, was his face red.

He did that once before but he was halfway done with his burger before he realized he had forgotten his burger pattie.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Meatloaf - Three Ways - Review by cjs (Just had to come bac...)
My grandfather topped that. At a point where he had lost much of his taste, he had made a peanut butter sandwich using zucchini bread. Well, it wasn't actually zucchini bread, but leftover, refrigerated meatloaf. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Meatloaf - Three Ways - Review by cjs (Just had to come bac...)
Oh Jean, That is too funny! The meatloaf or the hamberger is just an excuse to eat all the goodies you put on it! Steve eats fries just so he can have ketchup and salt!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Meatloaf - Three Ways - Review by esgunn (Oh Jean, That is to...)
That is too funny, Jean! I can't believe he actually let you take a picture of it!

Hey Erin, I thought I was the only one who did that!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.