I need HELP!!!!!
  Re: (...)
I have been away for a bit----but you guys are my favorite supporters when there is a problem in our lives!!!

A month ago, Peter lost his Mom (94 years young). She had major problems with bone deterioration and she "gave up" with the pain. She refused to have any nutrition and is now in the space she wishes to be-----with her family by her side at the moment.

Now----last week I was totally bobsmacked with information aout my Mom. She was throwing up and she went to the M.D. thinking that she had the flu. She was admitted right away and with testing she was diagnosed with a Grade 4 esophageal cancer-----OUT OF THE BLUE!!!!! The Doctors we have consulted with state that she has about 3-6 months----I am totally devastated--as you can imagine!!!

My post is to ask you (my friends) what is your favorite shake and/or smoothie recipes? She is in a rehab center until I get to Springfield to care for her until her final day. I leave Capetown next Thursday and will be there for as long as is necessary. She is eating quite well at this time but she seems to have a yearning for the shake/smoothie diet. I will make her favorite foods when I get there.....but that will not be in the cards for a long period of time.

Any suggestions will be appreciated-----the more the better!!! I am not a shake/smoothie person---could you suggest a site for me to visit?? I'm sure you all will come up with superb ideas--------------

I will be in touch again when I get my act together-----in a few months!!

Thank you my friends---I will check in in a couple of days!

Love to you all!!!!

Roxanne
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: I need HELP!!!!! by Roxanne 21 (I have been away for...)
So sorry to hear this news. You will also be in the prayers of many people.

Here's a tasty smoothie I just had recently:
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2/3 cup Dulce de Leche (A kind of caramel sauce used in Latin cooking. One popular brand is La Lechera (the milkmaid) from Nestle.)
  • 1 medium, ripe banana , quartered
  • 2 cups ice cubes
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: I need HELP!!!!! by labradors (So sorry to hear thi...)
Oh Roxanne, I can't believe this! What a darn year this has been!

How about buying her favorite ice cream, put it in a blender and add milk to make her favorite milk shake. That's what I would do

Hang in there, Sweetie, until you can get there to be with her. I wish all of us could be there for you when you get state side.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I need HELP!!!!! by cjs (Oh Roxanne, I can't ...)
Oh my lord...first I was so happy to see Rox posting and back in the game...and then read the post and my heart broke for both of you.

Laura's favorite smoothie is vanilla ice cream, bananas, strawberries and a bit of cream or milk.

http://www.smoothieweb.com/ for a whole slew of recipes
  Re: Re: I need HELP!!!!! by DFen911 (Oh my lord...first I...)
Oh Roxanne, I'm so sorry to hear this. Like Denise, I was all excited to see you back on the forum and so sad when I read your post. Have a safe trip and try to stay in touch with us when you have the time.

I like to make smoothies in the summer and here is what I do. Take a carton of yogurt, I use plain, but you can you use anything you want. Put that in a blender with a banana, several frozen strawberries, a scoop of protein powder, and 3 or 4 ice cubes and whirl it up. It makes enough for two people.

Of course, you can change it up any way you want to with juices and different fruits. It's good with blueberries too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: I need HELP!!!!! by Mare749 (Oh Roxanne, I'm so s...)
Like everyone else, I was so excited to see your post...only to discover the very distressing reason for it. Roxanne, I am so sorry. The only thing I think to say is to remind you of your support here when you need it and that you and your mother will be added to our prayer list. I hope you will have safe travels in the days to come and a peaceful time with your mother.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: I need HELP!!!!! by Gourmet_Mom (Like everyone else, ...)
Roxanne, I can only echo the sentiments already posted. Hope your travel to Springfield goes well. Certainly your mom will be happier to have you by her side.

We were on a smoothie jag a while back and really like to add raspberries and mango, not necessarily in the same batch. We use yogurt and bananas as a base. The nice thing about smoothies is that you can add flax seed oils, protein powders and other "good for you" ingredients and they are easy to swallow.

Keeping you, your mom and her medical team in my prayers.
  Re: Re: I need HELP!!!!! by HomeCulinarian (Roxanne, I can only ...)
That hurts too much, Roxanne. I agree with all the answers here and have nothing to add, since we don't drink them, other than my sincerest wishes that you and your mother will be comforted by each others company.
  Re: Re: I need HELP!!!!! by lxxf (That hurts too much,...)
Roxanne, I am so sorry to hear this news too. I think the bond between mother and daughter is so special. In time you will take comfort knowing you did all you could for her. My heart aches for you.

I have the exact same smoothie every morning for breakfast, and have for over a year. It is so simple. I slice half of a frozen banana into a big cup. Add a scoop of vanilla protein powder, some skim milk, and then a heaping tablespoon of almond butter. I mix it with my immersion blender. It is the only thing I have found that sticks with me until lunch. I also do not like smoothies made in a blender nearly as much as those made with the immersion blender. I can't even tell you why, they just have less taste. Hubby likes his the same only with chocolate protein powder.

If you use frozen fruit, you usually do not need to add ice to thicken.

Hugs for you and your mom,
Theresa
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: I need HELP!!!!! by chef_Tab (Roxanne, I am so sor...)
I am so sorry to hear this my love! When I had lost all my weight I used to make malted shakes. Just follow any of the recipes but add a scoop of malted mix. I'm sure you know that you and your family are in my prayers.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy