Kids Snacks
  Re: (...)
I think I have posted on this before, maybe?? But I always feel I am in a rut. I don't like buying a lot of pre-packaged, pre-portioned snacks. But I need some new ideas for afternoon snacks - maybe even home made cookie flavors that we haven't made in a while. I'd prefer they be somewhat healthy - but they eat varied and healthy meals so that is not the biggest concern.
Oh - and I have one who doesn't like chocolate.

These are our current selections
Fruit - watermellon, grapes mostly
crackers any kind plain, with peanutbutter for a gym snack
gogurt
string cheese
Oatmeal craisin cookies (Goign to bake a batch today).
Mini bagels with cream cheese

Any thoughts would be great. I know many of you had kids/teenagers at home. They just start eating a lot!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Kids Snacks by esgunn (I think I have poste...)
Erin, have you made fruit leather? Used to make it for my kids. And the weather has been good for doing this.

Trash's Bars - will go look for the recipe. This is an old Weight Watcher's recipe that a fun, fun gal gave me years ago. The "Trash's" refers to her nickname - can't remember what she did to get it. I still make these every once in a while.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Trash's Bars

3 oz. dry oatmeal -- (3 to 4)
1 envelop chocolate flavored milk beverage -- low calorie (such as ALBALL or ALBA 66)
1 tsp. honey
2 T. raisins
1 T. peanut butter
2 T. cold water or cold coffee

Combine all the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Form into bar on foil and freeze until firm.

Can double, triple this or however much you want to make.

Description:
"Went to college with 'Trash' in Kewanee, Illinois, (Blackhawk) in the 80s."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After School Instant Pizza

1 inch whole wheat tortilla -- (1 to 6)
1 Tbsp tomato sauce -- (no salt added)
or
2 Tbsp basil pesto sauce.
1/4 tsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp shredded reduced-fat Swiss or part-skim Mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Spread tomato sauce or basil pesto sauce over the tortilla, covering to the edges. Sprinkle with oregano, then top with cheese. Place on pizza pan or baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes or until the tortilla is crisp and the cheese is bubbly.

CHEESY LITTLE LINK SNACK WRAPS

6 KRAFT Singles
1 can refrigerated crescent dinner rolls -- (8 ounce)
24 OSCAR MAYER Little Smokies

Cut each cheese Singles into 4 strips; then cut the strips in half.
Separate dough into triangles; cut lengthwise into
thirds. Top each dough piece with 2 Singles pieces and Little Smokie.

Roll up. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

PIZZA PINWHEELS

1 can refrigerated crescent roll dough
2 c shredded mozzarella cheese -- (8 ounces)
24 slices sliced pepperoni sausage
1 can pizza sauce -- (14 ounce)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

On a large baking sheet, pinch the 8 crescent roll dough triangles into 4 rectangles.

Layer each rectangle with 6 pepperonis and even amounts of mozzarella cheese.

Roll tightly lengthwise and slice each into 4 or more pieces.

Bake in the preheated oven 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with pizza sauce for dipping.

EYEBALLS

Make Rice Krispies Treats. (the directions are on the cereal box.)

Form the mix into balls, about 1" or 2" across.

Add a pastel M&Ms or other small round candy for the iris and dot the candy with frosting or gel for the pupil.

-------

Oregon Hazelnut Trail Mix

6 cups Kix cereal
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped or whole, roasted Oregon hazelnuts
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup banana chips
1 small package non-instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup peanut butter

Mix cereal, nuts, raisins and banana chips together. In saucepan, combine vanilla pudding and honey; bring to a boil and boil 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter; mix well. Pour over cereal mix and mix until coated. Put on cookie sheet to cool.

Source:
"Dundee Hazelnuts & The Oregon Hazelnut Industry"

Popcorn Fluff® Puffs

1 7 1/2-ounce jar Marshmallow Fluff®
1/4 cup butter or margarine
8 cups unsalted, unbuttered popcorn, popped

Grease a 9 × 9-inch baking pan and set aside. Combine Fluff® and butter in a micro-wave safe dish. Cook on HIGH* 2 minutes; stir and cook 1 minute more. (Or combine Fluff® and butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until Fluff® boils.) Stir in popcorn. Using a spatula or waxed paper pat into pan. Cool. Cut into bars. Makes nine 3-inch puffs.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
My mom baked a lot when I was growing up, Erin. But, she was also health conscious, so was always looking for cookie recipes that were at least partially healthy. So, I grew up eating a lot of oatmeal raisin cookies, peanut butter cookies and pineapple bars which have oatmeal, walnuts, and pineapple in them. The pineapple bars are still a family favorite around here, and are quick and easy to make.

Pineapple Bars

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup nuts (we like walnuts) -- chopped
1 small jar pineapple preserves

Mix together butter and sugars. (I use a pastry knife/cutter thingy) Sift together and stir in flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir in oatmeal and nuts. Place 2/3 of mixture in greased and floured 9X13 pan. Press and flatten with hands over bottom. Spread with pineapple preserves. Sprinkle balance of crumbs on top and press. Bake in 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes until golden.
-------------------------------------------

Do your children like dried fruit and trail mixes? What about those chex cereal mixes?

What about peanuts in the shell, that would keep them busy for a while. Or even a cup of tomato soup would hold them over until dinner.

Carrot sticks with some kind of dip. Kids will usually eat that, especially if they like the dip. Or celery stuffed with cream cheese, that's a good one. My oldest granddaughter, Katie, now 6, LOVES good olives.

When the kids are coming over, I usually make up a veggie tray with cut up veggies, olives, little dill pickles, cherry tomatoes, some cubes of cheese, and sometimes some cubes of meat. If #2 grandchild, doesn't feel like eating much dinner, she will always fill up on that.

Wish I could think of more, but at the moment that's all I can come up with. I'm anxious to see what the others say as this will be a good thread to save!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
My mom used to keep a "trail mix" handy...peanuts, raisins (or craisins), and M&Ms. (sounds weird, I know, but it's just the right mix of salty/sweet/tart and a mix of textures that satisfies.) This won't work for the one that doesn't like chocolate, of course.

Then there's traditional mixes, like the one with Chex cereals.

"Puppy Chow"...Chex cereal, PB, and powdered sugar, I think!

We also used to do vanilla wafer/PB sandwiched together like you would do with crackers.

How about:
-jello w/fruits or fruit cocktail and nuts
-deviled eggs,
-minis of typical stuff like pudding...if you need stuff to go (Denise told me once she buys bulk individual condiment containers with lids....something about "mini cups" of stuff make ordinary things fun!)?

Make your own juice bars until it gets too cool.

Oh, and mini pizzas using English muffins.

Mixed nuts/pretzels/salty stuff in minis.

Laura's egg rolls were really easy

Fried raviolis with marinara

One more thing...think of stuff you would see at a party/shower/wedding. Kids LOVE presentation...served on a fancy tray, they'll think regular chicken salad sandwiches cut in shapes or squares are FABULOUS!

Next....

Edited to add and make easier to read!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Kids Snacks by Gourmet_Mom (My mom used to keep ...)
Thanks for all the great ideas! Nothing like a little inspiration to pull you out of a rut! My kids love chex mix, but I hat buying a the bagged stuff for $5.00 a bag. I will have to make it, and the other variations. Love the eyballs and puppy chow too!

Maryann, I am going to make the pinapple bars for myself!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Kids Snacks by esgunn (Thanks for all the g...)
Besides the chex mixes, my kids used to love pudding and jello. I'd make cubes of various flavors with less water than usual. Then put them in a plastic container after cutting up the cubes.
  Re: Re: Kids Snacks by esgunn (Thanks for all the g...)
One more for winter...another weird one. Place saltine crackers smeared with PB on a cookie sheet and top with large marshmallows. Bake until marshmallow is toasty and soft! YUUUMMMYYY! My best friend's mother used to make these on the rare snow days back in elementary school! The first time they fixed them, I looked at them like they were CRAZY!!!! (I was only familiar with the same treat without the PB....LOL! )
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Kids Snacks by Gourmet_Mom (One more for winter....)
Ants on a log?
  Re: Re: Kids Snacks by iBcookin (Ants on a log?...)
...or, for that matter, Kitty-Litter Cake?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Kids Snacks by labradors (...or, for that matt...)
Erin, just ran across this book at Amazon - you can get it used for ~ $4.00 - $5.00. Sounds like a book the triplets ought to have for their own.

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Snacks-Little-...4144&sr=1-1
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com