Homemade tortillas?
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have any recipes or suggestions for online ordering for homemade tortillas? Thanks!
  Re: Homemade tortillas? by carolekv (Does anyone have any...)
As you may expect, tortillas are VERY important here. For almost every meal, each person gets three corn tortillas on the side. Here's how they are made here:

Tortillas

Ingredients for Corn Tortillas
  • 2 Cups Corn masa (e.g. Maseca brand)
  • 1 1/2 - 1 1/3 Cups (or according to package) Warm water
Ingredients for Flour Tortillas
  • 3 Cups All-purpose flour
  • 2 Tsp Baking powder
  • 3/4 Tsp Salt
  • 1 Cups Warm water
Instructions
  1. Mix dry ingredients thoroughly.
  2. Slowly add the warm water, mixing and kneading the dough, with your hands, until it no longer sticks to your hands.
  3. Form into 12 balls, approximately the size of golf balls, cover with a cloth and let rest for 15 minutes.
  4. Use a tortilla press (for corn), rolling pin (for flour) or your hands (for either) to flatten each ball of dough, between two sheets of plastic, into a tortilla of the desired diameter (approx. 6" for corn, 9" for flour) and thickness. With a little practise, it actually becomes easier to use your hands!
  5. Heat a comal (griddle) or dry frying pan to medium-high heat (usually higher - as much as 500F - for corn).
  6. Cook corn tortillas for about 30 seconds - until the sides begin to dry. Cook flour tortillas until small bubbles form on the surface.
  7. Turn the tortillas over.
  8. Cook corn tortillas for 1 minute. For flour tortillas, press down firmly with a wide spatula or a thickly folded, damp towel, until more bubbles form.
  9. Turn the tortillas over again.
  10. Cook corn tortillas 45 seconds more. Cook flour tortillas until slightly golden.
  11. Place corn tortillas into a bowl, wrapped in a clean cloth. Place each flour tortilla into a folded cloth and inside a plastic bag, close the bag, and let the flour tortillas steam until warm and soft.

Note: If you add a little salt, achiote, and a little vegetable shortening to the corn tortilla recipe, or just a little vegetable shortening to the flour tortilla recipe, then fold the circles of dough into half-moon shapes around a filling of seasoned ground beef or chicken, seal them, then deep fry them, you'll have Pastelitos - one of the absolutely delicious, typical street-vendor foods that usually sell for about 35 or 40 cents each. YUM!

P.S.: If you do "online ordering," they're not really homemade - are they?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Homemade tortillas? by labradors (As you may expect, t...)
"If you do "online ordering," they're not really homemade - are they?" - why I'm still pondering a response for Carole.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Homemade tortillas? by cjs ("If you do "online o...)
Thanks - the recipe looks great!! Actually asking the homemade online ordering question gave me pause, but I couldn't figure out how else to ask - maybe fresh versus manufactured would be more accurate?
  Re: Re: Homemade tortillas? by carolekv (Thanks - the recipe ...)
Although I adore homemade corn tortillas, I've not had much luck in making them. In fact, I have a bag of corn masa that has been in a plastic bag, in the freezer, for about 6 years (since my last failed attempt).

Labs, your recipe is now copied and waiting for a day when I'm feeling lucky (in the culinary sense). Would the corn masa still be okay to use?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Homemade tortillas? by foodfiend (Although I adore hom...)
Carole, the funny thing is that homemade ones I see here, every day, are often rounder and more consistent than the commercially produced ones sold in the stores! LO!

Vicci, I don't know about the six-year question. Presumably the freezer should prevent anything harmful from growing, as long as it was fresh when it was put into the freezer. Otherwise, any grain or flour products that are kept OUT of the freezer for too long can develop certain molds (esp. varieties of aflatoxin-producing aspergillus) that can be dangerous to people with allergies to molds.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?