Thanks, Labs!
  Re: (...)
Like so many others on this forum who have provided assistance and suggestions for menus and recipes, you really hit gold this time with your suggestion of a tropical topping for the strawberry ice cream pie. I followed your idea of using guava nectar when I couldn't locate fresh guavas, and adding fresh pineapple. It was totally incredible!

No recipe, but I reduced a can of guava nectar by about half, thickened it a little further with cornstarch, allowed to cool, then added a little brown sugar, a squeeze of fresh lime, and chopped fresh pineapple. This sauce I served over individual slices of the pie, and topped with toasted coconut. I posted a photo on the bottom of this post:

http://victoriasdays.blogspot.com/2009/0...-thai.html

We were licking our plates! No formalities at my dinners!!!

Also, and try as I might I cannot remember who suggested this recipe to me when I was searching for an appetizer, but the Thai Chicken Skewer Wraps are reviewed on this same entry. No photo, though-- I wasn't about to stop eating to take one.

You guys are soooooo great!!!

Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Thanks, Labs! by foodfiend (Like so many others ...)
YUM! That sounds like a great weekend! If I had thawed breasts instead of legs and thighs, I'd be tempted to make the wraps again...one of our favorites!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thanks, Labs! by Gourmet_Mom (YUM! That sounds li...)
I don't think I've made the wraps.....will have to look.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thanks, Labs! by cjs (I don't think I've m...)
Jean, we did them for a review...I forget who. I hope it wasn't you...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thanks, Labs! by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, we did them fo...)
It was Labs B-day review. I have not made tham. Really want to. Maybe next week when hubby is back in town.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Thanks, Labs! by esgunn (It was Labs B-day re...)
You're quite welcome, Vicci. I'm glad it turned out well. The lime juice you used probably added a great accent to it, as well.

Somewhere and somewhen, I've mentioned the jelly candies they make from guava here. Although they were out of the guava ones when I was in the store the other day, I did decide to pick up the papaya ones (they also had pineapple and banana). Here are a couple of pictures so you can see what I mean. BTW, this one package (seven pieces) was about 80 cents.

[Image: dsc00537byv.jpg]

[Image: dsc00538u.jpg]
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Thanks, Labs! by labradors (You're quite welcome...)
Now I have something else to add to my list for when we drive into Pittsburgh and go to the Latin grocery! I'm assuming that a similar product would be available there.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Thanks, Labs! by foodfiend (Now I have something...)
Quote:

Now I have something else to add to my list for when we drive into Pittsburgh and go to the Latin grocery! I'm assuming that a similar product would be available there.

Don't know, but even if they don't here are a couple of other things for which to look while you're there:
  • Tamarindo (tamarind) - Useful for a number of things, but here is usually boiled, then strained, sweetened and chilled for avery refreshing drink. Some may consider it an acquired taste, due to its inherent tartness.
  • Jamaica (dried hibiscus flowers - pronounced hah-MY-kah) - Also boiled, strained and sweetened to make a drink. Here, it's usually iced (and VERY refreshing), but it's often available in the States, in the herbal-tea aisle or natural-food stores for a lot more money (of course). In THOSE stores, it would be in teabags in boxes. In the Latin stores, it may be in a big bin from which you put as much as you like into a paper bag.
  • Papas Rellenas ("stuffed potatoes") - If the Latin grocery is Cuban or Puerto Rican, they will probably sell these hot, somewhere near the check-out line. If the store is Mexican, they may not carry them.

Certainly, there are many more things that could be listed, but the above are special treats worth highlighting.
  Re: Re: Thanks, Labs! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Labs, do you mean a chunk of tamarind pulp? I tear off pieces and soak, then strain, for some Asian dishes but had no idea that it could be used to make a beverage (assuming, of course, that we are talking about the same thing).

And speaking of which, I bought a piece of guava paste last year and used half to swirl into a cheesecake, the other half was layered with cream cheese for a quick cracker spread. This spring I bought a chunk of mango paste, but wanted to use it for something different. Have you used this? If so, any ideas to pass along???

And I will absolutely add the jamaica to my list as well (thanks for giving me the pronunciation! )

As for the stuffed potatoes-- just watch me drool! I've seen recipes for these and, well, mashed potatoes formed around picadillo then deep fried, how on earth could these not be delicious?!?!?! Actually, I would love to find a place where I could buy one and enjoy it (eschewing my avoidance of fried food for once), but not feel obligated to make, and eat, more than that. Now I'm hungry...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Thanks, Labs! by foodfiend (Labs, do you mean a ...)
Quote:

Labs, do you mean a chunk of tamarind pulp?

Yes! Absolutely. Just boil a nice blob of it in a pan of water for a few minutes, strain it, sweeten it, chill it and drink it. As I said, some may consider it an acquired taste, but if you already have some tamarind from a previous recipe, and have like it in that, the drink won't be that big of an adjustment for you. Just remember that tamarind IS pretty tart stuff, so the drink will need a good amount of sugar.

Quote:

And I will absolutely add the jamaica to my list as well (thanks for giving me the pronunciation! )

Three of the most refreshing drinks I know are the three biggies here: tamarindo, jamaica and horchata (the first H is silent). The last of those is made from rice, and is a little more involved than the other two, which is why I didn't mention it in the list for the store.

Here, tamarindo, jamaica and horchata are even among the options for the free-refill drinks at Pizza Hut. LOL!

Quote:

And speaking of which, I bought a piece of guava paste last year and used half to swirl into a cheesecake, the other half was layered with cream cheese for a quick cracker spread. This spring I bought a chunk of mango paste, but wanted to use it for something different. Have you used this? If so, any ideas to pass along???

Isn't the guava wonderful in the cheesecake? With so many fresh mangoes around here, though, I've never used (nor even seen) a mango paste. How thick of a paste is it? If it's thin enough (or can be thinned enough), it would probably be interesting if gently folded into some whipped cream then used as a filling for a white or yellow cake, or as a topping for French vanilla ice cream. If it's pretty thick, maybe it would make a good glaze for baked chicken.

Quote:

As for the stuffed potatoes-- just watch me drool! I've seen recipes for these and, well, mashed potatoes formed around picadillo then deep fried, how on earth could these not be delicious?!?!?! Actually, I would love to find a place where I could buy one and enjoy it (eschewing my avoidance of fried food for once), but not feel obligated to make, and eat, more than that. Now I'm hungry...

LOL! There was a Cuban grocery store in Orlando that used to make them about the size of baseballs and sold them for only a buck apiece. They were VERY filling (one of those would probably be enough to sink a battleship), but oh so delicious.