Can I get professional help with biscuits please?
  Re: (...)
I stink at making them.
My husband and I are going to Nashville next week.
I am anxious to try to Loveless Cafe famous biscuits.
Any and all suggestions for me making them at home is much appreciated.
Let them roll please, I am would love to know any secrets for perfection.
Thanks
...of all the things to cherish most in 'this' life, it's the love of a little one...
  Re: Can I get professional help with biscuits please? by WannaBeTVChef (I stink at making th...)
I stink at making them, also. I even attempted them with my mother at my side, and came out with "rocks"....LOL! I do know she will only make them with lard, or at least shortening, that and buttermilk. She also says it's a feel...but if you don't know the feel, how do you know....practice, she told me. So for now, I'll stick to bread and rolls. I know what that's supposed to feel like!

Hopefully, PJ will come in and advise us both...she's our resident pastry chef.

Sharon (Harborwitch) posted a recipe that's supposed to be simple and heavenly. I'll try to find it for you...ARG....I MISS MY MasterCook! The only thing that has me anxious for school starting back...getting my flash drive with my MC files on it!

Here you go: Biscuits from Heaven
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Can I get professional help with biscuits please? by WannaBeTVChef (I stink at making th...)
Jane's Easy Bisquits

I used to make them the old way--my sister showed me this--
2 C self rising flour (White Lilly is best)
1 1/2 -2 C heavy cream (this or whipping cream is absolutely required)
Stir cream into flour until just mixed--turn onto floured surface--pat out until 1/2 inch thickness, adding more flour as needed. Cut with bisquit cutter. Heat oven to 425.

Melt 1/4 C butter in a small bowl in microwave. Dip each bisquit into melted butter and place on baking sheet or cake pan, slightly touching each other. Cook 10-12 min. or until golden brown--trust me, it's this easy. Good Luck, Jane
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Can I get professional help with biscuits please? by Old Bay (Jane's Easy Bisquits...)
As soon as I have a more appreciative audience, I'm trying this! Thanks, Bill!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Can I get professional help with biscuits please? by Gourmet_Mom (As soon as I have a ...)
Quote:

Thank my Jane--she bakes!! Oh how she bakes!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Can I get professional help with biscuits please? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Then I'll definitely have to try it! From one Southern gal to another....thanks Jane!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Can I get professional help with biscuits please? by Gourmet_Mom (Then I'll definitely...)
Not a biscuit maker... I'd say go with Jane's recipe and let us know if it works for you.
  Re: Re: Can I get professional help with biscuits please? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

Thank my Jane--she bakes!! Oh how she bakes!

[/blockquote]

Thanks Jane! This sounds easy enough for all of us to try!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I've had luck with this recipe.

TOUCH OF GRACE BISCUITS

1 1/2 c. cake flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 TBS. sugar
3 TBS. room temperature butter
1 c. buttermilk
3/4 c. all purpose flour
2 TBS. melted butter

Heat oven to 475°. Spray 8” round bake pan with Pam.

In food processor, combine cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar, pulsing several times to mix. Add butter and pulse until lumps are pea sized or smaller. Add buttermilk; process until just blended. Let stand 2-3 minutes.

Pour the 3/4 c. all purpose flour in pie plate & flour hands well. Use an ice cream scoop, spoon lump of WET dough into the flour; gently coat with flour & shape into round. Shake off any excess flour. Place in prepared pan, pushing biscuits together so they will rise and not spread.

Brush biscuits with melted butter; bake 15-18 minutes, or until lightly browned.

REMEMBER – dough is impossibly wet; quick gentle handing is the trick!
  Re: Re: Can I get professional help with biscuits plea by HomeCulinarian (Not a biscuit maker....)
Since I can't get buttermilk here, I use the powdered buttermilk from SACO Foods. Even had to have THAT sent here, from the States, but at least that can be shipped or carried here, whereas fresh buttermilk cannot.

For biscuits, I just use the recipe from the company's website, and they have always turned out wonderfully. Here it is, copied from their website (with the formatting cleaned up a bit):

Buttermilk Biscuits
Makes ONE DOZEN 2-1/2 inch biscuits.

Ingredients:
  • 4 Tbsp. SACO Buttermilk Blend
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup solid shortening
  • 2/3 cup water
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
  2. In large mixing bowl sift together dry ingredients.
  3. Cut in shortening thoroughly until mixture resembles corn meal.
  4. Add water and mix until dough is pliable. Do not overbeat.
  5. Turn dough onto lightly-floured surface and knead for about 30 sec. (20 to 25 times).
  6. Roll or pat 1/2 inch thick, no less.
  7. Cut with floured biscuit cutter.
  8. Place close together on ungreased baking sheet.
  9. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?