Pickled Beets & Tomatoes
  Re: (...)
We just finished canning 33 pints of pickled beets, using 3 different kinds of beets. We grew (Marilee did) the purple beets and then went to pull some of the Truck Farmer's beets (he had a light red version and one that looked like a large radish with some red swirled inside). The Truck Farmer's beets were much sweeter that the purple ones with the radish looking ones tasting almost like turnips.

The Truck Farmers also have a field of tomatoes with 10 different kinds of tomatoes...running from Beef Steak, Apache Purple, yellow pear, some that are green with darker green stripes, orange with green stripes that are long like a cucumber and Lord only knows what other kinds. He has welcomed us to go pick whatever we desire. The only ones I haven't gotten the courage to try are the long orange and green ones...they look really weird.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Pickled Beets & Tomatoes by bjcotton (We just finished can...)
Oh Billy, taste them quickly, I'll bet you'll love them. What a treasure trove you have access to every year. Now that my tomatoes are coming on strong, I'm not so envious of your truck farmer as I was in previous years.

I'm lovin' my garden this year!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets & Tomatoes by cjs (Oh Billy, taste them...)
WOW! I am envious! All the heirlooms we've tried don't do well. Enjoy Billy! I hope you're feeling better!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets & Tomatoes by Gourmet_Mom (WOW! I am envious! ...)
Billy, how about some pics of those tomatoes? I would be trying every one of them. You are so lucky to be nearby.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pickled Beets & Tomatoes by Mare749 (Billy, how about som...)
I was planning on posting some of the tomato pictures I took, but just realized I'd erased them all
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy