corn casserole
  Re: (...)
I am planning for a small barbecue next week and was looking for a light corn casserole recipe instead of serving corn on the cob. Any suggestions?
  Re: corn casserole by alexsmom (I am planning for a ...)
Here are two VERY tested recipes from which I have gotten a lot of mileage. The second one, I've doubled and cooked in a 13 x 9 x 2" baking dish for larger groups. The first one is already meant for a 13 x 9 x 2.

The first one is the Serrano Ham and Poblano Corn Pudding recipe I posted back in March. Just follow the link on the recipe name.

The second one is as follows:

Awesome and Easy Creamy Corn Casserole

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 (8.5 ounce) package dry corn bread mix
  • 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 (14.75 ounce) can creamed corn
  • 1 cup sour cream
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and lightly grease a 9x9 inch baking dish.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine butter, eggs, corn bread mix, whole and creamed corn and sour cream. Spoon mixture into prepared dish.
  3. Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden brown.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: corn casserole by labradors (Here are two VERY te...)
This first one is so simple and so tasty!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Skirt Steak with Creamed Corn and Poblanos

2 poblano chiles
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion -- thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
1 cup sour cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 pounds skirt steak -- cut into 6-inch pieces

Roast the poblanos directly over a gas flame or under a broiler, turning, until charred all over. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 10 minutes. Peel, core and seed the chiles, then cut them into thin strips.

In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the corn and poblano strips and cook until the corn is tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the sour cream and season with salt and pepper. Keep the corn warm over very low heat.

Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Rub the steaks with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat, turning once, until lightly charred, about 6 minutes. Let the steaks rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice across the grain. Serve with the corn and poblanos.

Wine: Plummy Malbec: 2007 Elsa Bianchi.
foodandwine - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

another good tasting one -

THAI CREAMED CORN W/BASIL

Thai Creamed Corn With Fresh Basil Leaves
From Rhonda Parkinson.

This Thai version of creamed corn is made with Thai basil, noted for its purple-tinged leaves and distinctive licorice or anise flavor. It can be found at Asian markets. (You can substitute regular basil but it won't have quite the same flavor).

Thai creamed corn goes very nicely with grilled chicken and a salad. If using corn fresh from the cob, plan on using about 8 ears. If using frozen corn, be sure to defrost first.
Serves 4

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 teaspoons brown sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
up to 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves

Melt the butter or margarine in a saucepan on low heat. Add the corn. Cook briefly, then add the coconut milk and brown sugar.

Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 more minutes, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the basil and serve.

Thai Chicken in Green Curry - a classic Thai dish, made with coconut milk and seasoned with fresh herbs.
Thai Hot and Sour Soup - Thailand's version of the popular Chinese soup, made with lemongrass and fresh coriander.

-------

and lastly - another with surprising flavors - can't remember where I got this M. Symon recipe.

CREAMED CORN WITH FETA

12 beef tenderloin filets -- 8 ounces each
3 ounces olive oil -- divided
sea salt -- to taste
freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
1 1/2 red onions diced
3 garlic cloves -- minced
12 ears corn -- shucked and kernelled
3 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves -- chopped
12 ounces chicken stock
8 ounces heavy cream
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
16 ounces Wisconsin feta cheese -- (approximately 2 cups) crumbled

Season beef filets with 2 ounces olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill filets until desired doneness and set aside. Sweat onions and garlic in the remaining 1 ounce olive oil. Add corn and rosemary. Mix well.

Add chicken stock and simmer until reduced and corn is tender. Add heavy cream and bring to simmer. Stir in feta and butter until melted. Place creamed corn mixture in center of plate. Top with grilled filet and serve.

Recipe by Chef Michael Symon
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: corn casserole by cjs (This first one is so...)
I've made the Awesome and Easy recipe and it was great. Everyone likes that one. Thanks for posting the rest, Jean, not sure if I got them the first time.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: corn casserole by labradors (Here are two VERY te...)
I love the Serrano Ham & Poblano Corn Pudding. I must make that again - geeze it's frustrating not being able to cook. Gads!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!