Bran vs. germ
  Re: (...)
Yes, bran is the outer part and the germ is the inner embryo, but can wheat bran (with added lecithin) be used as a substitute for wheat germ in recipes? I ask because Kretschmer Wheat Germ IS available here, but costs approximately SIX TIMES more than a Central-American dietary-fibre product containing wheat bran and lecithin. The two products actual look almost the same, but I don't know if the substitution would make any important differences (for example, moisture absorption, which would certainly affect the recipe).

More specifically, could it be used, instead of wheat germ, in the following recipe?

Graham Crackers
Makes 24 crackers

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 C Sifted, all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 C Stirred, whole-wheat flour
  • 1/2 C Wheat germ
  • 1 Tsp Baking powder
  • 1 Tsp Ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 Tsp Baking soda
  • 1/2 Tsp Ground ginger
  • 1/4 Tsp Salt
  • ----------
  • 1/2 C Packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 C Shortening
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla
  • ----------
  • 1/2 C Milk
Instructions:
  1. In a medium bowl, stir together the first 8 ingredients (flour through salt); set aside.
  2. In a large bowl using mixer at medium speed, beat brown sugar, shortening and vanilla until light and fluffy.
  3. Reduce speed to low; beat in dry ingredients alternately with milk until well blended.
  4. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until dough is easy to handle - at least 4 hours.
  5. Divide the dough into thirds.
  6. On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin. roll out a third into a 12" square. (Keep remaining dough refrigerated.)
  7. Cut square into 8 (6 x 3") rectangles.
  8. Place rectangles, 1" apart, on greased baking sheets.
  9. Score each rectangle with blunt side of knife to make 4 sections (do not cut all the way through the dough).
  10. With a fork, prick each rectangle several times.
  11. Repeat with remaining dough.
  12. Bake in 350F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
  13. Remove from baking sheets and cool on racks.
  14. Store in airtight container up to 2 weeks.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Bran vs. germ by labradors (Yes, bran is the out...)
I don't actually know, but it might not taste the same. (Or as good) Hopefully, someone will know for sure.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Bran vs. germ by Mare749 (I don't actually kno...)
I have both on hand and it seems as though the wheat bran has a larger flake and not as "nutty" of a flavor. I would try the substitution, though, since the wheat germ is so much more expensive. I wonder if you can toast the wheat bran to give it more flavor (since the Kretschmer wheat germ is toasted and I don't think that I have ever seen "raw" wheat bran)?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Bran vs. germ by foodfiend (I have both on hand ...)
I like Vicci's idea - bet it would work fine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bran vs. germ by cjs (I like Vicci's idea ...)
That is a good idea! I would definately try that. Will be anxious to hear what you think about the recipe.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Bran vs. germ by Mare749 (That is a good idea!...)
Thanks. I like Vicci's idea, too. Shall try it.

This IS a recipe I've made before, and it was great, but that was several years ago when I was still in the States, and already had some Kretschmer on hand. I'll let you know how the experimental version turns out.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?