Caviar
  Re: (...)
How do you prepare caviar and how can I get it on a budget?
“When swords are once drawn, the passions of men observe no bounds of moderation” - Alexander Hamilton
  Re: Caviar by jennakortan (How do you prepare [...)
We buy black lumpfish caviar, usually Icelandic. We get ours at World Market for $7-$8, for a small jar. The classic way to serve is on a blini, a very small thin yeast pancake. Toast points are also popular. Serve with lemon or lime wedges,sour cream, minced onion, or hard cooked eggs, finely chopped. Offer each seperatly and let your guests choose any or all. Serve with a bone spoon or a simple plastic spoon. Serve in a glass bowl, the jar, or classically, mother of pearl, wood, horn or gold bowls. Do NOT use silver or steel.

Icey vodka (the Russians do this) or cold Champagne(the French do this) are classic accompaniments. I love an ice cold very dry gin martini, up--preferably Plymouth.(I don't know if thats an American variation or a Texas one).
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Caviar by Old Bay (We buy black lumpfis...)
Have you tried Red Caviar? It is much less expensive and really delicious. I actually prefer it to black one.
  Re: Re: Caviar by piano226 (Have you tried Red C...)
Never have liked caviar. Tastes too much like fish eggs.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Caviar by labradors (Never have liked cav...)
I love caviar, especially on a crispy little slice of french bread. Never tried red, but sure will now. Does anyone ever find it fresh? My brother only ever buys it that way, but he lives in Florida, so naturally he has access to it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Caviar by piano226 (Have you tried Red C...)
Quote:

Have you tried Red Caviar? It is much less expensive and really delicious. I actually prefer it to black one.

We don't care for the red--usually too salty and fishy for our taste. The small black lumpfish mimick sevruga-really delicious. 1/20th the price.
  Re: Re: Caviar by labradors (Never have liked cav...)
Quote:

Never have liked caviar. Tastes too much like fish eggs.

I never liked foie gras, it tastes too much like liver.
  Re: Re: Caviar by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
If you have access to a russian store ...try caviar from there. They will have for sure (thats coming from a russian).Normally they will have the one they will weigh for you or in metal cans. The one in metal cans I know is pretty good is black can with red kremlin on it...but ask, they know whats good and whats not.

Also caviar freezes really well. My daugters love red caviar and we buy a bunch, freeze it and throw it into our luggage when we go to visit them in Buenos Aires.

P.S. When i came to the United States, I tried lumpfish caviar for the first time. Honestly I found it just disgusting and thought to myself, no wonder american people dont like caviar.

By the way Miami and its vicinities has dozens of russian stores. They have a huge russian community.
  Re: Re: Caviar by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

I never liked foie gras, it tastes too much like liver.

Someone who was cooking some liver once asked me if I would like any. I said, "No, thanks. I already have one."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Caviar by Old Bay (We buy black lumpfis...)
In the Sacramento river area there is a company (Tsar Nicoulai) that farms sturgeon for caviar. They have some wonderful caviar and different varieties; sturgeon, trout, whitefish, salmon, etd. Their prices are really good - you can order on line - and they have all the stuff for serving and enjoying caviar.

I have two favorite ways to serve - the wasabi (whitefish infused with wasabi) is great on a really wonderful cracker with smoked salmon and some creme fresh (spelling is awful today). Another way for almost any other caviar is on a Belgian endive leaf with either goat cheese or creme fresh.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!