Dinner to be Reviewed Monday, Sept. 7th
  Re: (...)
Taking the bull by the horns, I'm suggesting a review dinner - Sept. B'days seem to be folks that don't come around much, so maybe some of us will be interested in having some fun with this - hope so!!

All are from the Sandwiches & Salads book.

Bistro Sandwiches
Makes 4 sandwiches

Prepare; brush with & broil:
1 recipe vinaigrette, see below
4 slices French bread 1” thick, cut on the bias
2 T. olive oil
Salt to taste

Spread; Divide; Toss:
4 tsp. Dijon mustard, divided
4 oz. ham, thinly sliced, divided
2 oz. Guyere cheese, sliced, divided
6 cups mesclun salad greens
1 cup torn fresh basil
2 T. chopped fresh chives
1 T. chopped fresh thyme

Add; Poach:
2 T. white wine vinegar
4 eggs

Preheat broiler to high; bring a large sauté pan filled halfway with water to a simmer over medium heat.

Prepare vinaigrette and set aside. Brush 1 side of each bread slice with oil and season with salt. Arrange slices, oiled side up, on a baking sheet and broil until toasted, 2 minutes.

Spread each toast slice with 1 tsp. Dijon, then divide ham and cheese among slices. Roil until cheese bubbles and begins to brown, 2 minutes. Meanwhile, toss salad greens with herb with some vinaigrette in a bowl and divide salad among 4 plates. Place a sandwich on each serving of salad.

Add vinegar to simmering water, carefully slip in eggs (one at a time), and poach until whites are set and yolks are set but still slightly runny, 3-5 minutes. Remove each egg with a slotted spoon, blot lightly with a towel, and place on sandwiches.

Tomato Vinaigrette (makes 1/2 cup):
1/4 cup tomato, seeded, chopped
3 T. red wine vinegar
3 T. olive oil
1 T. honey
1 T. Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Pulse all ingred. in a blender or food processor until smooth; chill until ready to use.

And for dessert -

Coffee Floats
Makes 4 floats

Brew and Chill:
6 cups strong coffee

Pour Coffee Over:
1/4 cup chocolate syrup
1 pint good-quality vanilla, cinnamon, or coffee ice cream

Garnish with (Optional):
Cocoa powder, Cookie sticks, chocolate-covered coffee beans, or shaved chocolate

(Jean’s note: a little vanilla vodka would not be out of order here also!!)

Brew coffee and chill until cold.
Pour 1 1/2 cups chilled coffee over 1 T. chocolate syrup and 2 scoops of ice cream per float. Garnish floats as desired.

----

This menu sounds easy, fast, fun and really summery!! Anyone interested?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner to be Reviewed Monday, Sept. 7th by cjs (Taking the bull by t...)
I am all over this!!!
  Re: Re: Dinner to be Reviewed Monday, Sept. 7th by DFen911 (I am all over this!!...)
Oh good!! I think it'll be a fun one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner to be Reviewed Monday, Sept. 7th by cjs (Oh good!! I think it...)
I feel bad I haven't done the last one...sorry Denise...but I am soooo liking the sounds of the whole meal! I think that's what I like about this one...it's doable for one meal.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Dinner to be Reviewed Monday, Sept. 7th by Gourmet_Mom (I feel bad I haven't...)
BUMP!

Still got a little over a week to participate!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Dinner to be Reviewed Monday, Sept. 7th by Gourmet_Mom (BUMP![br][br]Still g...)
Thanks Daphne and then the Mystery dinner - it's so fun to have these to look forward to. Especially since most of our dinners for a month or so are going to be cleaning out the freezer. I don't know how all the dishes get away from me in there!!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner to be Reviewed Monday, Sept. 7th by cjs (Thanks Daphne and th...)
I'm so excited for this dinner but might not be able to wait till the 7th I may cave and buy the ingredients tomorrow and make this for this weekend.
  Re: Re: Dinner to be Reviewed Monday, Sept. 7th by DFen911 (I'm so excited for t...)
Denise, only the review is due the 7th - we all can cook it anytime after someone posts a review dinner.
www.achefsjourney.com