Beef Tenderloin with Stroganoff Sauce
  Re: (...)
Here you go for your dinner party!!

PAN ROASTED BEEF TENDERLOIN

Searing then roasting at high heat keeps flavor in tenderloin. Truss it so that the roast cooks evenly and maintains its shape.(MAKES ONE 3-LB. ROAST)
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR

TRIM AND TRUSS:
1 3-lb. cut of beef tenderloin

RUB TENDERLOIN WITH:
1/4 cup olive oil
1 T. kosher salt
1 T. coarse ground black pepper

SEAR, THEN ROAST.

Preheat oven to 450°.
Trim silverskin and fat from tenderloin; wash it and dry well with paper towels. Truss the meat with cotton string at every inch to create a round profile. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over high heat.

Rub meat with olive oil. Then salt and pepper just before searing to prevent juices from leeching. This promotes maximum browning.

Sear on all sides until browned, about three rotations, 1 min. each.

Roast in oven 20-30 minutes, turning tenderloin over halfway through cooking for even browning. When temperature reads 130° (medium-rare), remove from oven. Cover the roast with aluminum foil and let rest 10 minutes before cutting into 1 1/2” slices.

------
(the following is from the article)
"Two sauces in one
I'm going to be real honest with you. I had a bit of a dilemma with this stroganoff sauce. It had great flavor and actually wasn't that hard to make. But when I added the sour cream at the end, the beautiful mahogany color of the brown sauce was lost. It tast¬ed great but the good looks were missing-and that's important to us food people.

You make the choice
So here's what you can do. First, make the wine stock, then the brown sauce. The sauce is great just by itself and you can even make it a day ahead.

Then, if you want more of a "stroganoff" sauce, add 1/3 cup sour cream before serving. (Don't boil the sauce or the sour cream will break.) You'll end up with a tan sauce that tastes fantastic but doesn't look great with red meat.

If you don't want to alter the color with sour cream, consider putting the brown sauce over the meat first, then sprinkle some Stilton or blue cheese over the sauce. Strong cheeses like these hold their own against the fla¬vors of the beef and brown sauce. But don't use too much. They are powerful, especially when warmed a little from the sauce.
Just be sure to sprinkle the cheese on the sauce-don't stir. That would discolor it. You want separate little bits of cheese melt¬ing in it rather than blending in like the sour cream does."
--------

RED WINE STOCK
A good brown sauce starts with a rich stock. The key is to gently brown every¬thing you put into the sauce, including the onions and tomato paste.
(MAKES 1 1/2 cups)

SAUTE IN 2 T. VEGETABLE OIL AND
1 T. UNSALTED BUTTER:
1 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped
(about 1 large)

ADD:
1 T. tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped

DEGLAZE WITH:
1 cup dry red wine

ADD AND REDUCE; STRAIN:
1 can (14 oz.) low-sodium
beef broth
Sprig of fresh thyme

Saute onion in oil and butter until lightly brown.

Add tomato paste, cooking until it turns dark. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.

Deglaze with red wine, scraping up all the bits on the bottom of the pan.

Add broth and thyme; simmer until liquid reduces by half, about 10 minutes. Strain stock before using.

----

STROGANOFF SAUCE (MAKES 1 1/2Cups)

SAUTE IN 2 T. UNSALTED BUTTER AND 1 T. VEGETABLE OIL'; REMOVE.:
8 oz. white mushrooms,
cleaned and halved

MAKE A Roux FROM:
2 T. unsalted butter
2 T. all-purpose flour ADD:
1 1/2 cups Red Wine Stock, above
1 T. Dijon mustard
Sauteed mushrooms

Option # I: 1/3 cup sour cream
Option #2: blue cheese
Heat butter and oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat.

Sauté mushrooms until barely done and still somewhat white in color.

Remove from pan; set aside.

Make a roux in the same pan by melting the butter then whisking in the flour. Cook over low heat until roux browns slightly.

Add wine stock, mustard, and mushrooms. Simmer until sauce thickens. Stir in sour cream, or sprinkle blue cheese over already sauced tenderloin (Page 26).

----

Thank heavens for scanners!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Beef Tenderloin with Stroganoff Sauce by cjs (Here you go for your...)
Thank you so very much !! My dinner party will be a hit!! I remember when I made this before I made the red wine sauce and it was truly a great meal!! Thank you again!!
  Re: Re: Beef Tenderloin with Stroganoff Sauce by twalker08 (Thank you so very mu...)
I've made this before... delish!
  Re: Re: Beef Tenderloin with Stroganoff Sauce by twalker08 (Thank you so very mu...)
but, darn, Jean, if I get my hands on a good tenderloin, I'd take a cleaver to anyone who wanted to put anything on it except s & p.

Sally
  Re: I trust your judgement implicitly by lxxf (but, damn, Jean, if ...)
Know how you feel, Sally! At the hotel, I'd trim it "just enough," s & p and lay a couple of rosemary sprigs over top and top with some of the fat and roast that beauty!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I trust your judgement implicitly by cjs (Know how you feel, S...)
Well, dang it! Why didn't I see this yesterday! LOL! I didn't even think of the blue cheese sitting in my fridge!!!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.