More Food Movies
  Re: (...)
I apologize - I copied this and missed getting the source! Have no idea where it came from, but sounded kinda up our collective alley...

"Sure, your guests are all abuzz about seeing Julie & Julia, (OK, we were, too), but for a more realistic look at the industry, we have a few other films recc's. Pressure Cooker is the "Hoop Dreams" for the food industry (minus the hope of a million-dollar contract from Nike in the end). The movie follows three Careers through Culinary Arts Program students in working-class Philadelphia, tracking their progress through Wilma Stephenson's book camp-style culinary arts class as they attempt to win scholarships to culinary school.

It promises to inspire, as well as bring back fond memories of that first chef or instructor who really kicked your butt. Food, Inc. has become mandatory viewing for followers of Michael Pollan ("In Defense of Food") and Eric Schlosser ("Fast Food Nation"). The movie tracks the changes to our country's food supply, revealing footage from factory farms and exposing the environmental and health problems that have resulted.

The former will inspire you, that latter will make you regret buying that large tub of popcorn even more so than usual, but both are stirring doses of food reality. "
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: More Food Movies by cjs (I apologize - I copi...)
I am going to have to see if I can order the first one through the library. That one sounds like it should be viewing for every culinary student wannabe.

Not sure about the second one. I never saw the Fast Food Nation documentary. But Chels had brought the book home to read. Just scary . . . I couldn't put the darn thing down, but it sure makes you think twice about fast food. I'm not sure that I really want to see actual footage of some of those things.

That's when I thank somebody up above that I am fortunate enough to be able to raise my own meat!
  Re: Re: More Food Movies by iBcookin (I am going to have t...)
OK - I just went to my netflix account to add these two. They are on the 'save' list, which I think means they don't have any copies right now.
  Re: Re: More Food Movies by HomeCulinarian (OK - I just went to ...)
The former will inspire you, that latter will make you regret buying that large tub of popcorn even more so than usual, but both are stirring doses of food reality. " .....

OK, don't shoot me but I couldn't resist asking ....When stirring doses of food reality, should one use a high or low heat?...
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: More Food Movies by farnfam (.....[br]The former ...)
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: More Food Movies by Mare749 ( [img]/ubbthreads/im...)
Actually, they should be folded in gently, not stirred.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: More Food Movies by labradors (Actually, they shoul...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com