Citrus-Herb Game Hens: Review
  Re: (...)
Okay, right off, I'll confess, I did NOT have game hens. I subbed legs and thighs...that's what I had. I don't think there would have been much difference, though. I was a little disappointed in the flavors. I think next time I'll throw the lemons and herbs in WITH the chicken when it goes in the oven. As the recipe reads, you brown the birds, then bake for about 20 minutes at 450. After they come out, you microwave lemon slices for a minute and toss with olive oil, rosemary, parsley, and minced garlic. Place birds on this, turning several times, while cooking up the side.

This was Skillet Potatoes and Green Beans. This was pretty good. William bought twice what I needed in green beans, so I fixed an equivalent amount of potatoes. I'm using the leftovers tonight.

Overall, I'd give this a 7, but I think it would be an 8 or nine with the suggested changes. This is from the latest Weeknight Menus book...page 19.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Citrus-Herb Game Hens: Review by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, right off, I'l...)
Looking at the recipe, I think I agree with you, Daphne - to add the lemons from the beginning.

Too bad you used all your green beans, I just ran across a recipe yesterday for a Creamy Green Bean soup that caught my taste buds. (well, duh - Erin posted this yesterday! )

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cream of Green Bean Soup

1/2 lb. green beans
3 c. veggie stock
2 small potatoes -- peeled and quartered
1/2 c. chopped chives
1/4 c. butter
2 small cloves crushed garlic
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1/4 c. sour cream
1 T. lemon juice

Combine all ingredients (except sour cream & lemon juice) in a soup pot

and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 min.

Place 1/3 of the bean mix in a blender, puree, then recombine with previous

mixture. Fold in sour cream and lemon juice.

Description:
"Erin posted this 8/23/09"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Citrus-Herb Game Hens: Review by cjs (Looking at the recip...)
Sounds good, Daph. I've sub leg quarters for game hens, in some ways it's less trouble. There's this one C@H recipe where you put herbed butter under the chicken skin (Issue 45)they say game hen, but we always use a nice fat leg and thigh. Check it out
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Citrus-Herb Game Hens: Review by farnfam (Sounds good, Daph. I...)
I made this also and agree with the alteration. The lemon & herbs just doesn't penetrate the skin after it's cooked.