Convection Oven advice please
  Re: (...)
While hubby was living alone here he purchased a convection oven. I have never used one before and was wondering if anyone recommends them for certain foods, or has any other advice. I was thinking about pre-cooking ribs in it before grilling. Will it still heat up the kitchen?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Convection Oven advice please by chef_Tab (While hubby was livi...)
I LOVE mine, Theresa, and use it all the time! It's fast, browns evenly, and keeps food from drying out. There is a learning curve for using it, but I'm guessing you will like it once you get used to it. Have fun!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Convection Oven advice please by Mare749 (I LOVE mine, Theresa...)
I have a convection/microwave oven and I honestly don't use the convection oven often.... It came with the house. I have only used it when my oven was on the fritz.
  Re: Re: Convection Oven advice please by HomeCulinarian (I have a convection/...)
You're referring to a portable convection oven? I had one for a number of years for my catering and really liked it. But, you know with it being a portable, it didn't seem to make a big difference in baking. I wonder if that made the difference?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Convection Oven advice please by cjs (You're referring to ...)
In school that's all we did was use convection cooking. It cooks faster so you may have to adjust your cooking time. I think I did a whole chicken in less than an hour.

I have never used one of the portable or counter ones so not sure how they act. Do this take a chicken breast put it in there with a thermometer and see how fast the core temperature gets up to 170.
  Re: Re: Convection Oven advice please by DFen911 (In school that's all...)
Thanks all, it may be a while. I just hate to ruin meat. The book that came with it is useless. There are a few pans too and I am not sure what to use when. It almost seems like it is geared towards frozen snack foods.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Convection Oven advice please by chef_Tab (Thanks all, it may b...)
(you may be right )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Convection Oven advice please by cjs ((you may be right [i...)
I have both a large oven with convection (Dacor) and a toaster oven with convection (Krups). I love both. I use the one the toaster oven (convection bake) one to bake small quantities and to reheat food. It is wonderful for reheating pizza (crust stays crisp) and even french fries. The large one has both full convection and convection bake, ditto for broil. The Dacor manual is very good, has lots of recipes and a chart. I use it as a starting guide. Great for cookies (bake in less time, can put 3 trays in at once and do not have to rotate to get even baking), no-knead and Artisan in 5 bread, roasts and potatoes (crisp on the outside, moist inside). I don't have to futz with the temp in mine, just use the setting. I would go to the Dacor site and look at the manual for any of their convection ovens and print the relevant pages to use as a guide. I have not used it for cakes or pies. I have a couple of convection cookbooks, but truly, the Dacor manual is much more helpful. Try it, you'll like it.