Southwestern Chicken Panini - Review
  Re: (...)
This is from the Salads & Sandwiches book (C@H) and what a great combination of flavors. Even with 2 'sauces' to make for the sandwich, it's a very fast and easy to put together. And very tasty. I didn't see a review for this, although Trixxee made it a year ago.

Southwestern Chicken Panini

PULSE; DRIZZLE IN:
2 cups cilantro leaves and stems, packed
4 garlic cloves
1 jalapeno, seeded, chopped
Juice of 1/2 a lime Pinch of salt
2 T. olive oil

COMBINE:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 T. canned chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
1 t. sugar

SPREAD WITH SOFTENED BUTTER:
8 slices white or wheat sourdough bread, 1/2" thick
4 oz. pepper Jack or Havarti cheese, thinly sliced
6 oz. rotisserie chicken, shredded

Pulse cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, and salt for the pesto in a food processor until minced; scrape down sides of bowl. With machine running, drizzle in oil until paste forms.

Combine mayonnaise, chipotles, and sugar in a small bowl.
Spread butter on 1 side of each slice of bread. Then spread mayon¬naise on the other side of 4 slices and 1 T. pesto on the remaining 4 slices.

Top pesto with cheese, then chicken; place the other 4 slices of bread on top, buttered side up. Toast sandwiches on both sides on a panini grill, grill pan, or skillet, see Page 19.

----

We served these with a corn salad I'm testing for another forum - the flavors of the salad are just wonderful, but...the dressing has to be worked on, it was as thin as milk. The salad is so tasty it is worth working on, so back to the drawing board for this one.

Plus, it makes such a horrendous amount, I only made half and it is still a huge salad. Well, I was going to post the recipe, but I think I'll hold off until I figure out the dressing problem and reduce the amounts to a more manageable size.

Here's the dressing tho, maybe one of you can give me some ideas for it. I tought about adding orange sections to mimic the orange flavor without diluting, but don't know if that would be enough to give the great flavor combinaton....Everybody put on their thinking/cooking hats and help me figure this one out. Please

citrus dressing
2 cups Italian Dressing (I used Larry's Ital. recipe and it's a nice consistency to start with)
1 cup orange juice
juice of 1 lime
2 T. honey

Hopefully, we can come up with something...

---
Edited to add - maybe I'll try orange zest and/or orange juice concentrate.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Southwestern Chicken Panini - Review by cjs (This is from the Sal...)
Jean there is a wonderful product on the market - True Lemon, True Lime, and True Orange. Might be worth a try to bump the orange flavor without causing dressing "run-off". I like to mix the True lime with salt and chile powder to dip cucumber sticks.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Southwestern Chicken Panini - Review by Harborwitch (Jean there is a wond...)
Is it a regular grocery store item, Sharon? or special like Trader Joes or one of those?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com