Saturday Dinner - Aug. 29th?
  Re: (...)
It's really going to be hard to eat out of the freezer this weekend after receiving the new C@H magazine!!! don't know what I'll get out, but I'm sure it won't be as good as what you guys will be posting.

So, what's everyone up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday Dinner - Aug. 29th? by cjs (It's really going to...)
I'm making 3 recipes of Molto Manicotti. Having 12 Bunko women on Wednesday, then my best girlfriends are flying in from CA for the weekend, so I thought I'd get it done in one fell swoop. We're having it for dinner tonight to test, but from the reviews I think it will be great.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Saturday Dinner - Aug. 29th? by Dismc (I'm making 3 recipes...)
Since I was able to get such gorgeous produce at the farmers market yesterday, I am making the zucchini cakes and diavolo sauce tonight. Instead of using canned diced tomatoes, I am planning to use fresh. Do I need to peel and seed first or can I just dice them up?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Saturday Dinner - Aug. 29th? by chef_Tab (Since I was able to ...)
Theresa, for a nicer sauce, I sure would.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday Dinner - Aug. 29th? by cjs (Theresa, for a nicer...)
Thanks Jean! Tabitha taught me about concasse....not sure if I spelled it correctly.
Theresa

Re: Re: Saturday Dinner - Aug. 29th? by chef_Tab (Thanks Jean! Tabitha...)
yup, you did - she taught you well.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday Dinner - Aug. 29th? by cjs (yup, you did - she t...)
BBQ's pork chops with grilled apples, zucchini and roasted garlic bread. Lol it's so hot I may not even need to turn the bbq on, just open the lid and put the food down
  Re: Re: Saturday Dinner - Aug. 29th? by DFen911 (BBQ's pork chops wit...)
Decided to experiment. I am far from being a vegetarian, but don't mind trying a few things once in a while, so I've been wanting to try out the firm tofu (made in and imported from American) that the supermarket sells.

After Googling around a bit, I decided to try the following recipe:

Tofu Croquettes

Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg firm tofu (12 oz or 350 g)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs (30 g)
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp tamari sauce (a lighter soya sauce) (30 ml)
  • 1 tsp dried thyme (5 ml)
  • 1 tsp curry powder (5 ml)
  • Pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup whole raw hazelnuts (75 g)
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
Instructions:
  1. Crumble the tofu with your fingers or in a food processor.
  2. Put into a large bowl and add the eggs, bread crumbs, garlic, tamari sauce and the seasonings. Mix well.
  3. Grind the hazelnuts in a coffee grinder. Reserve.
  4. Make six patties or croquettes with the mixture and flatten with your hands or a fork. Dip them into the hazelnut mixture until fully covered.
  5. Heat the oil in a fry pan and cook the patties or croquettes until golden brown on each side.
  6. Serve on a hamburger bun with your favourite toppings, lettuce, tomato, etc. or serve topped with your favourite tomato sauce as a side dish.
  7. If you do not have or do not like hazelnuts, you can subtitute with bread crumbs.

I would say that the results were quite good, and probably would have been even better, but for three things.

First, I didn't have tamari, and was out of light soy sauce (not to be confused with "lite" soy sauce, which I wouldn't have in the first place), so I used regular, dark soy sauce.

Second, ACK! My curry powder had bugs in it, so I improvised with some ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric and (for my own touch) ground chipotle.

Third, I didn't have hazelnuts, so I used panko.

Of all those things, the third mattered the least, and is even suggested in the recipe. The second actually turned out to be a good blend. It was the first - the soy sauce - that I am sure threw it off the most. I am certain that, with the lighter soy sauce, or with tamari, it would have been much better, even with the other two changes. Even so, it wasn't off by THAT much and, as I said before, was quite good. It does make me want to experiment with that tofu a little more.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Saturday Dinner - Aug. 29th? by labradors (Decided to experimen...)
That sounds great Rob! Hubby and I actually love tofu, if done well, and this is very different from any other recipe I have. Will have to try it soon. Thanks so much for sharing this one.
Theresa

Re: Saturday Dinner - Aug. 29th? by cjs (It's really going to...)
So far not going to have dinner.
Walking outside in torrential rain could cause
me to get very wet
So l'll see if it let's up and then I'll decide if I'm
even hungry or not
...of all the things to cherish most in 'this' life, it's the love of a little one...