Squash Blossoms stuffed w/ Ricotta
  Re: (...)
You got blossoms--I envy you--did this tonight with the Salmon that follows--take some of your blossoms and try this--

For tomato sauce--
1 garlic clove minced
1/4 hot red pepper flakes
2 T olive oil
1 & 1/2 lb plum tomato, finely chopped
1/2 C water
1/2 t sugar

For blossoms
1 C whole molk ricotta
1 large egg yolk
1/4 C finely chopped mint
2/3 C Parm cheese, divided
12-16 zucchini squash blossoms
1/2 C plus 1 T all-purpose flour
3/4 C chilled club soda

Fry grandaddy with oil, or a skillet w/3 C vegi oil.

Make tomato sauce--cook garlic and red pepper flakes in oil in a 2 qt heavy saucepan over med heat, stirring until garlic is golden, about 30 sec. Add tomatoes, water, sugar, & 1/2 t salt and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionaly, until thickened, 25-30 min.

Prepare squash blossoms.
Stir together ricotta, yolk,mint,1/3 C parmesan, and a dash each salt & pepper.
Carefully open each blossom and fill with about 2 t (more or less) ricotta filling, overlap blossom and twist end gently to enclose filling. (You may have filling left over)

Whisk together flour, remaining 1/3 C Parmaesan, 1/4 t salt and seltzer in a small bowl.

Heat oil to 375. Coat blossoms in batter, fry in batches of four, turning until golden--2-3 min total--drain on paper towels--salt and pepper to taste--enjoy!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Squash Blossoms stuffed w/ Ricotta by Old Bay (You got blossoms--I ...)
Do you think you can eat pumpkin blossoms? I grew pumpkins - well Steph thinks she did - and not squash this year. It puts off tuns of blossoms - this is not a pie pumpkin...
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Bummer! Where were you with this when I had blossoms?!?!?!?!?

Saved for next year though! Thanks Bill!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I forgot to mention that recipe came from a Sept. 09 Gourmet. We used diced canned tomatoes instead of fresh.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
My grandmother did this when I was growing up. I loved them so much and was going to try them this year. I went searching for a website and a recipe that sounded similar to what I had tasted as a kid. This site has a step-by-step photo with details. Great info for anyone interested.

How to stuff and fry zucchini flowers

I have a bunch of flowers right now! I should go and pick them for dinner tonight.
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: Squash Blossoms stuffed w/ Ricotta by iCook (My grandmother did t...)
Oh that sounds just good!! Haven't done blossoms for a while. I may have some more coming on the plants.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com