Going to a booyah today!
  Re: (...)
Going to a booyah this afternoon. In case some of you do not know what this is.

In the Midwest of the United States a booyah or booya is a pot of stew made for a large crowd. Usually made in August or September when the gardens are finishing up. People from the neighborhood bring over anything from their garden and some kind of meat. The men cook the stew and drink beer and bloody Mary's half the day. Then the rest of the family gathers in the mid afternoon to partake in the tasting of the stew.

I have always wanted to do my own booyah. Most of the time they get really overcooked and veggies are added too soon. But its usually pretty good.
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Going to a booyah today! by iCook (Going to a booyah th...)
What a fun event! But, hey, what's this about the GUYS getting to do all the cooking and drinking?!?!?!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Going to a booyah today! by Gourmet_Mom (What a fun event! B...)

What a great way to clear the garden and have a fun time !

Like that idea1

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
Quote:

What a fun event! But, hey, what's this about the GUYS getting to do all the cooking and drinking?!?!?!

In the Midwest, "guys" is not gender specific. In Chicago, they sometimes say "yous guys".
  Re: Re: Going to a booyah today! by HomeCulinarian ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
The first thing I thought was, what the heck is "a booya"??? All I know is booya is a soup I have made forever. And yes, at the end of the garden season, but also at the beginning of hunting season, I would clean out the freezer of odds and ends of game we hadn't eaten. I had (have) a 5 gallon soup pot that was always full to the top by the time the soup was done.

Karen, I have the recipe around her somewhere and I know I added my veggies late into the soup making - I'll dig it up for you to look at.

We loved it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Quote:

Haha, Daphne, it was my first thought too. I almost spit out my beer on this one. And Icook specifally said "men".
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Going to a booyah today! by chef_Tab ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
That sounds like a great time!! Do get pictures. I'll be anxious to hear how it all comes out

And hey if the guys want to cook dinner for the ladies I say let em Of course I thinkk they should have to clean up too hahaha.
  Re: Going to a booyah today! by iCook (Going to a booyah th...)
That sound slike my kind of event! Have a great time!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Going to a booyah today! by Lorraine (That sound slike my ...)
Well, looks like I learned something new today!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Going to a booyah today! by foodfiend (Well, looks like I l...)
I don't suppose this could wind up being a case of "too many cooks spoil the stew"??

well, no......not if there's enuff beer and Bloody Marys
Cis
Empress for Life