Mais Con Queso(Corn w/Cheese Ice Cream)
  Re: (...)
Sharon, don't pack the Donvier yet! This ice cream is great! Someone posted this on another forum and it just looked so interesting.

[Image: CornIceCream.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mais Con Queso (sweet Corn With Cheese Ice Cream

Recipe By :Taga_luto , Cooking.com

2 large fresh sweet corn
1/4 cup cheddar cheese (diced)
4 egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 c milk
1/2 cup sugar (adjust if your corn isn't the sweet corn variety)

1. Grate corn kernels and milk off the cob.

2. In a pan over medium heat, combine cream, milk and corn kernels and corn milk. Let it simmer.

3. In the meantime, whisk sugar and egg yolks until pale and thick.

4. When cream mixture reaches a simmer, slowly temper your egg mixture w/ the cream mixture about a laddle or two, whisking constantly.

5. Reduce heat to low, add the warmed egg mixture into the saucepan and cook, whisking until mixture is thick.

6. Let this chill for at least an hour.

7. Add and mix cheddar cheese right before you churn the mixture.

8. Pour the mixture in an ice cream maker following the manufacturer's instructions.

Description:
"This is a Filipino ice cream. This ice cream is not just your plain mais (sweet corn) ice cream, it has bits of cheddar cheese in it hence the name Mais con Queso (Sweet Corn with Cheese). It is common in Thailand but they use coconut milk instead of dair"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And then, of course I had to play with garnishes.

I did both, but tonight we'll just use one - it was a little overkill

Bacon Sauce:
8 oz bacon, rendered in oven until very crispy
½ lb. butter
½ lb. dark brown sugar
2 cups maple syrup
2 cups heavy cream
1 tbsp. vanilla extract

In a 3-qt. saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat until it becomes light brown. Whisk the brown sugar, maple syrup and heavy cream into the butter and bring to a boil. Add the bacon and vanilla extract.

Using an immersion blender, mix sauce until bacon is in small pieces. Strain the sauce.

and

Bacon Candy

Fry a pound of bacon until crisp. Drain and cool. In a clean skillet, melt one cup sugar and three tablespoons honey in two tablespoons water; cook on medium-high until bubbles subside and syrup turns light amber.

Turn heat to very low and add bacon, turning strips with tongs. Place strips on oiled baking sheet or parchment paper until cool, then serve it.

-----
Can you tell I had fun yesterday???

Oh, and we picked this little goodies yesterday - 18.25 oz. Walla Walla

[Image: WallaWalla.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Mais Con Queso(Corn w/Cheese Ice Cream) by cjs (Sharon, don't pack t...)
Intriguing.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Mais Con Queso(Corn w/Cheese Ice Cream) by labradors (Intriguing....)
As much as William loves corn and cheese, I'm not sure I could sell him on this one...LOL! I love the bacon candy and sauce!

AWESOME onion!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Mais Con Queso(Corn w/Cheese Ice Cream) by Gourmet_Mom (As much as William l...)
Sounds tasty, Jean and rather fun. I'll have to try this one day.

Saw an interesting dessert on the food network the other night. Duff Goldman was eating a chocolate dessert layered with bacon bits. Looked mighty tasty.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Mais Con Queso(Corn w/Cheese Ice Cream) by Mare749 (Sounds tasty, Jean a...)
Oh Jean this is just plain evil I guess I'll have to make this for the "farewell" party! And if no one likes it - all the better! Yum yum! Thank you soooooooo much!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Mais Con Queso(Corn w/Cheese Ice Cream) by Harborwitch (Oh Jean this is just...)
Evidently, this isn't as odd as I first thought. Foodgawker has one similar: Sweet Corn Ice Cream and Corn Flour Madeleines. The madeleines sound super good...but alas no madeleine pan.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Mais Con Queso(Corn w/Cheese Ice Cream) by Gourmet_Mom (Evidently, this isn'...)
Quote:

...but alas no madeleine pan.

Maybe you could use a Curious George pan, instead.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Mais Con Queso(Corn w/Cheese Ice Cream) by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Daphne