Fall Vegetable Soup
  Re: (...)
I was watching Emeril Live and he was making a fall vegetable soup..well, I kind of quit watching when he added the turnips..dummy! I wouldn't HAVE to put turnips in it, but the rest sure looked good; carrots, potatoes, parsnips, chicken broth, onion, etc. Any one got a recipe similar to that? I know it wouldn't be difficult to make on the fly, but a tried and true would be great...also could make it into a vegetable mash. Oh yum!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Fall Vegetable Soup by bjcotton (I was watching Emeri...)
Billy,

What channel (Food Network, perhaps?), date and time? The recipe may be available on the Web already. In fact, you could probably find the video for it somewhere, too.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Fall Vegetable Soup by bjcotton (I was watching Emeri...)
Billy-many times I have stripped the leaves off 2 or 3 Swiss Chard leaves, trimmed the ribs and sliced into 1/3 inch pieces--cooked with the turnips, then shread the leaves and cook the last 10 min. in the soup--really good--garnish with diced fresh radishes???
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Fall Vegetable Soup by Old Bay (Billy-many times I h...)
Billy, when I was growing up, we would make our veggie soup using a ham bone. Now, this would vary, depending on what kind of ham bone we had...sugar or salt cured. I preferred the salt cured variety, but beware the salt factor. Today, I would get a package of ham bits and pieces found where they sell the salt cured ham slices. (Is that available where you are? If not, or if salt is a factor, sub a sugar cured ham bone. But if salt cured IS available, you can cut back on the salt factor by rinsing or parboiling-discard first water, before proceeding.) We didn't have a recipe, but here is what we do/did after preparing the meat.

Boil down your bone or ham parts, reducing water to a couple of cups, add tomato juice (Homemade is best, but I would sub tomatoes if you don't have juice....whatever you want.), enough to accommodate the amount of veggies you will be adding. Now add what veggies you like. Add them in order of cooking times....roots first, proceeding to more tender veggies last. We reduced acidity with sugar, but I think vinegar would be more acceptable today(?). Remove the bone, check for salt and pepper. Serve with crusty bread or crackers!

We now do the same with ground beef, frying and degreasing (sp?) the meat before adding other ingredients as stated above. This one is William's favorites.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fall Vegetable Soup by Gourmet_Mom (Billy, when I was gr...)
The ham bone is good--if you could start with real fat back (salt pork) that would be good too. Saute that fat back back with the onions to start.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Fall Vegetable Soup by Old Bay (The ham bone is good...)
This is the closest I have been able to find, so far:

Root Vegetable Soup with Truffle Oil

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large red onion, chopped
  • 2 white potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
  • 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 1 small turnip, peeled and diced
  • 5 cups chicken stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 teaspoons truffle oil
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
  • Essence, for garnish, recipe follows
Directions:
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute until tender, abut 4 minutes. Add remaining vegetables; saute until deep golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add stock and bay leaves; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 35 minutes. Cool slightly. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with truffle oil. Puree soup with an immersion blender and serve in warm bowls. Garnish with chives and Essence. Serve immediately.

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.

Yield: 2/3 cup
  Re: Re: Fall Vegetable Soup by labradors ([url=http://www.food...)
Rob, yours is the closest I've been able to find, right down to the one turnip and chives.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Fall Vegetable Soup by bjcotton (Rob, yours is the cl...)
Well, I hope that helps. Do you remember if yours had truffle oil or not? That would certainly be distinctive and memorable - if you didn't turn it off before it was mentioned.
  Re: Re: Fall Vegetable Soup by labradors (Well, I hope that he...)
Hope you will let us know if you try this recipe, Billy. Soup is something that I make every week during the cooler weather.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."