Roasting Beets?
  Re: (...)
Hi guys - well, beets are another thing I've never made but bought some to make with a roasted chicken and mashed potatoes later today.

I'm finding basic directions/ideas out there (adding OJ, lemon juice, etc) but thought I'd check with you all to see if you had any recommendations for a side of roasted beets!

Thanks.
  Re: Roasting Beets? by Trixxee (Hi guys - well, beet...)
I've only roasted them to make Jean's Roasted Beet Ravioli. Since everybody was not WOWed with it like I'd hoped, I've not tried beets as a side again. So, I'm not much help. Jean, Lorraine, and Sharon among others love them, so hopefully they will come along and help you out. Good luck!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Roasting Beets? by Trixxee (Hi guys - well, beet...)
Trixxee, I just roasted them with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. It was the first time I had them roasted. I thought I hated beets. I think I also roasted with some red new potatoes. They were great!

I just saw a recipe for roasted beets and balsamic. I'll have to see if I can remember where I saw that.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Roasting Beets? by esgunn (Trixxee, I just roa...)
Erin, do you roast them whole or cut up? I'm finding people do it both ways. And somtimes they wrap them in foil and sometimes not.
  Re: Re: Roasting Beets? by Trixxee (Erin, do you roast t...)
I peeled and qartered them - they were not large. Tossed with olive oil on the sheet pan. spinkled with the s&p. I roasted at 400 I think for 20 minutes or so, I think. Wanted them fork tender but not overcooked.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Roasting Beets? by esgunn (I peeled and qartere...)
So, Trixxee, how did you do your beets?? My favorite way, as Depahne mentioned, is to roast them. I leave them whole with root & stem ends intact (so they don't bleed all over) and roast them 375° - 400° wrapped tightly in foil, seasoned with olive oil, s&p. Check after 45 minutes to see if tender - stick with a knife. If not tender, rewrap and continue roasting; if done, unwrap and let cool until you can handle them, with a knife remove the peel. After that, we love them just sliced and room temp., but lots of folks add a little butter, balsamic, cheese, whatever.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roasting Beets? by cjs (So, Trixxee, how did...)
Thanks guys.

Wouldn't you know it, my plans changed drastically yesterday and I didn't wind up cooking and now today I feel like I'm coming down with the flu possibly so I doubt I'll get ambitious enough to cook today either.
  Re: Re: Roasting Beets? by Trixxee (Thanks guys.[br][br]...)
I wound up baking them whole, wrapped in foil rubbed with EVOO and S&P. I have to say, I had a heck of a time peeling them though. I don't know if I was doing something wrong or that's just the way it goes.

I added them to a salad of arugula and goat cheese, tossed with a lemon tarragon vinaigrette. It was a Bobby Flay recipe. Very good.
  Re: Re: Roasting Beets? by Trixxee (I wound up baking th...)
I think God made beets to go with goat cheese!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roasting Beets? by cjs (I think God made bee...)
We have a roasted beet and goat cheese salad n a menu for Friday night. He usually does them the Jean mentioned. However, we have also roasted them with lots of olive oil, and fresh thyme. We them strain the olive oil, and use it to make a vinaigrette for the salad with some fresh thyme added. Very tasty.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.